Manatee update, their status is DOWNGRADED >

Manatee update, their status is DOWNGRADED

Notices

Manatee update, their status is DOWNGRADED

Old 10-10-2002, 08:43 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

This is what additional zones the $TM club is rquesting, ON TOP of what the FFWCC and USFWS have ALREADY implemented this year!!!!

As we have seen in Brevard County, Save the Manatee Club will not stop until all motorboat traffic in Florida is either totally regulated, severely reduced, or eliminated altogether. With the ink on the Settlement agreement with the State of Florida barely dry, the club is aggressively going County by County to fill in the gaps left by settlement language.

If the above scenario doesnıt convince you, please note the following areas also mentioned in this same memo:

Jacksonville _ Reddie Point to Fuller Warren Bridge
Duval County _ the St. Johnıs River
Duval County _ Goodbyıs Creek
Volusia County _ Tomoka River
Brevard County _ Banana River, Canaveral Sewer, Indian River, Railroad Bridge SE side of Causeway, Haulover Canal Observation area, Haulover Canal
Palm Beach _ Riviera Beach FPL Plant, ICW
Manatee County _ Braden River/manatee River
Lee County _ Bokeelia Point, Charlotte Harbor, Southern portion of San Carlos Bay, Caloosahatchee River, Mullock Creek / Ten Mile Canal, Estero Bay
Collier County _ Everglades National Park, Ten Thousand Islands, Fakaunion Canal, Chokoloskee Bay

MD
Old 10-10-2002, 09:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great news for us, but now the STMC will go after the lawmakers to change the criteria for endangered vs. threatened.

They said, and I quote;
"The findings of the FWCC should serve as a warning that we must reduce human-related manatee mortality and other negetive impacts to manatees and their habitat".

We know that they stay in the area because the discharge water from the power plants is warm all year round. Mantees will not migrate to warmer water because of this. What the power companies need to do is mix the discharge water with cool water to reduce the temperature to ambient water temp. This includes winter time too. The water temp in winter drops low enough to force the manatees to migrate to warmer water. By reducing the discharge temp to seasonal ambient they will move on in place of moving in.
How hard could that be?
These waters are not part of their natural habitat. If we could reduce the water temp they will move south and possibly stay there or reduce the number that does come back.

Just my .02 worth.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Iggy,
There is a Fl. state law that requires all powerplants to maintain a discharge water temp of 68 Deg. or HIGHER if the ambient water temperature drops below 68 Deg. This is a STATE law!, and BTW, if you own FPL stock, the additional $$ it takes to heat this water to 68 Deg. in the winter time comes out of overhead, i.e. reduced profits and shareholder dividends!
How ridiculous is that?
MD
Old 10-10-2002, 09:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

1) it's rediculous to have to "warm up" the water to 68* when it's undoubtedly lower in winter. Bet the STMC had someting to do with that. Just another way for them to keep their jobs.
2) the money spent to warm it up, as stupid as it is, should come from their pockets and not tacked on to everyones bill.

I lived in Jersey when Three Mile Island had their little accident. Our power company (Jersey Central Power and Light, JCP&L)was part of the conglomerate that owned those nuke plants. They tried to devide the cost of clean-up and repair between all the customers. Uncle Sam stepped in and said "Oh, no your not". Good thing too, we were already paying more for power than anyone else in the North East except New York City.
JCP&L also owned a nuke plant in central Jeresy, Oyster Creek, and every time it went down for maintenence or repair our bill went up to pay for it. Problem was not one watt of its power came to our houses. They sold it to other states while we paid for the upkeep.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:01 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Iggy,
I agree, this $TM club lobbing behind the scenes. That is also why FPL has sided with $TM club in our ongoing lawsuit, it's a mutual/benefial arrangement for FPL to have the $TM club blame ALL of the Manatee VESSEL related deaths on recreational boaters, and NOT on FPL BARGES and TUGS that deliver the fuel oil to the powerplants. It's amazing how the Manatees are smart enough to get out of the way of a Tug/Barge, which they can't see or hear, but the Manatee isn't smart/fast enough to get out of the way of recreational boater!?
MD
Old 10-10-2002, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations Dean. I know you and others have worked long and hard just to get them to take an unbiased look at the situation. Hope things continue to take a more open and reasonable path.

-Greg
Old 10-10-2002, 11:37 AM
boater31

i think the stm is full of it and counts of the manatee are biased and fixed to suit them. i also agree about the harm powerplantrs are doing to them for migration. i live in savannah ga and we saw a manatee here over the summer. how is that a mammal known to habitat in the warm s/ florida waters is way up here?? if i saw one, i know there are more and that has to be from powerplants extending their range! how are they going to do up here in a few months??? talk about endangering a species, just lure em up here where the winter can take care of em!!

Old 10-10-2002, 11:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Someone here, don't remember who, said the there's one that pops up in Virginia each summer. Now that's quite a distance.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:19 PM
GRH

DEAN - Are you aware that as a 501(c)3 organization the STM tax return is a matter of publice record & available to all that wish to review it through the Freedom of Information Act?

I would be curious to see what the executive directors compensation is.... and if they are actually using an appropriate percentage of contributions for the benefit which the IRS allowed them to be tax free? That return could reveal alot of information that contributors might take exception too....

Just a thought... maybe its time to play Offense with this group instead of Defense.... since, as you said, they appear on the defensive!

Continued Good Luck....

Old 10-10-2002, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now there's a step in the right direction.

Congratulations Dean, I know you have worked hard

Quick Reply: Manatee update, their status is DOWNGRADED

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.