Manatee update, their status is DOWNGRADED

Notices

Manatee update, their status is DOWNGRADED

Old 10-10-2002, 06:56 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Thumbs up Manatee update, their status is DOWNGRADED

We are beginning to see the TRUE facts coming to the surface.

http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/localstoryA32097A.htm

I bet the $TM club is in a uproar over this! There goes their pack of lies, along with their CA$H COW, pun intended!
Man, do I feel good today!
MD

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 10-10-2002 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:00 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Yep, here's what the $TM Club's response is

http://www.savethemanatee.org/newsstillendangered.htm

They are beginning to panic! Maybe they should turn their efforts towards all the starving/abused childern in the US! Something based on fact, and not lies!
MD

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 10-10-2002 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-10-2002, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Dean. Great news! Here's what I wrote them...

Dear Manatee Fanatic,

I ask you quite frankly, "When will it end?..." When will the SMC be satisfied?

You strive to meet you goals, you act to protect the manatee, you enact silly manatee protection zones which are more often than not based not on evidence and facts but emotional drama and politics. Yet, what is your goal? To increase the population or justify your existance? Isn't the final goal to bring the population to self-sustaining levels and then stop interfering?

It seems that you are your worst adversary. I say this because you target not true threats like powerplants, but boats. Boats contribute only a small portion of deaths and furthermore most of those boat deaths are caused by the larger commercial fleets out on the waters. Ironically, those commercial vessels are exempt from your slow zones! Where's the science there?

To the majority of the population who have not yet been seduced into believing false information by the SMC and other such organizations, it appears that your objectives are continually being met. The manatee population is soaring and has done so for more than a decade now.

Claims of "record-breaking deaths" mean absolutely nothing. Any grade schooler can deduce that when a population increases and a controled event is common to that population(i.e. deaths) based on a percentage, it would lend itself to reason that such an event will increase along with the sheer number of specimens. You spin your facts in any number of ways to make it attractive to the SMC's self-preservation tactics...

The time has come when far too many people are beginning to realize that it is you, the SMC, that is exploiting the Manatee for your continued funding and cash flow. It's not supposed to be about the politics and money, it's about manatees, remember?

It seems the goals are being met! The species will soon be downgraded from Endangered to Threatened?? Why is the SMC in such an uproar over what should be an exciting milestone in your mission? You've accomplished what it is that you set out to do. The population is increasing and is healthy. It is the SMC that should be "rejoicing" and not opposing this change.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like their quote "And don't forget that a new record for manatees being killed by boats is being set nearly every week."

For some reason they did not want to back this statment up with facts.

You would think they would be happy that that the population is going up, not down.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You would think they would be happy that that the population is going up, not down.
Precisely, why is it that they are upset anytime something good happens? Isn't this what the objective is?
Old 10-10-2002, 07:57 AM
Registered

Manatee, The other red meat.

I hope the US Fish and Wildlife service recognizes this. They have closed down a popular boating, fishing and swimming area in Homosassa.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:07 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

BD,
Well said! The $MC has totally lost focus as to what their purpose is suppose to be. They see their jobs coming to an end and they are SCARED! They continuely skew the FACTS and spew disinformation to stay employed!
Fact, when I moved to Brevard Co. in 1990, the $TM were stating how bad the powerplant discharges were for the Manatees, and they were correct!
NOW, 10-12 years later they state that the powerplant discharges are NEEDED for the Manatee! Even thought the ESA states that any man made interference to an Endangered Speices's NATURAL MIGRATORY pattern is ILLEGAL!! THE $TM came to the conclusion that the power plant discharges allow the Manatee to ARTIFICALLY expand it's natural/normal habitat, which means more Manatees! This approach is severely FLAWED in that Manatees were NEVER this far north ,(Central/Northern Fl.)before in the Winter time. This in itself, is really bad for the Manatee, it causes inbreeding, cold water calf mortalities, intestinal dieseases in the Manatees because of SOO many Manatees are concentrated in a very small area in which they swim and eat each other's feces!! Not to mention the stink and HIGH bacteria count!! BUT the $TM club thinks this is good for the Manatee, not to mention the complete ELIMINATION of all the seagrass beds for MILES around these powerplants discharges!
Sorry, didn't mean to climb onto my soapbox!
Bottom line, the $TM CLub has become the Manatee's WORST enemy!
MD

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 10-10-2002 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:08 AM
Registered

Nick...great email....my thoughts exactly...

I liken this to all the water snakes here at LOTO that are hit by boats every year..should we have a Save the Snake Club????
Is that the real reason for that rediculous no wake zone??? Should we have Snake Protection zones???? In Party Cove, should we not be allowed to even idle cause a snake could get chopped up??? No, Phknlawyer, no joke hidden there! (just kidding!)

Oh, and Florida Gator, I like mine with a nice Chiante', sugar snap peas, and garlic bread.

WM

Dean, I've read that as well...something about the warm waters gives them a place to congregate in cool weather??? So, when it comes to manatee populations increasing, how the hell do they, well...you know...do it??

Last edited by WaterMoose; 10-10-2002 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:16 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

H2O Moose,
Just the thought of "How do they do it" makes me sick!
MD

Quick Reply: Manatee update, their status is DOWNGRADED

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.