Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Dealers who don't reply to inquiries, what would you do? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/345871-dealers-who-dont-reply-inquiries-what-would-you-do.html)

rak rua 03-31-2017 10:05 PM

Dealers who don't reply to inquiries, what would you do?

Just wanted a few 'local' opinions about boat brokers/dealers.

I've inquired online about a few boats listed on major websites and the response from dealers has surprised me. Two in particular, I have filled out the online inquiry on a specific boat advertised and received the auto generated email response saying they will contact me shortly. I have heard absolutely nothing. One is 9 days old and the other is 4 days old.

What would you do? Would you follow them up with a polite email or just forget it?
I haven't stopped looking, but when I don't find anything else interesting, I start to look back on those boats and wonder if I'm missing out.....?

RR

jeff32 03-31-2017 10:28 PM

In all honestly, as a dealer, we have so many internet providers, and differents online request supplier... some of those different system needs to be linked together... as a dealer again, we often did not received the request from our online customers because of that. Now , it might also happen because the dealer has people on vacation and no one else was elected to answer during those vacation! Long story short, give them a chance and judge according to the reply you will have, not the one you did not have!!!

36Envision 03-31-2017 10:49 PM

Call. Verbal dialogue will go a lot further and gain more detail for you and the dealer anyhow.

rak rua 04-01-2017 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by 36Envision (Post 4542663)
Call. Verbal dialogue will go a lot further and gain more detail for you and the dealer anyhow.

Most of my working life was spent in car dealerships and I agree with you, a customer who phoned us was generally a more promising lead than a keyboard warrior. Selling cars in the 80's was much more fun because we didn't have internet websites for the perpetual shopper.

Reason I emailed is because of my location, time difference but mainly because phone services here are pretty ordinary on overseas calls, lots of drop-outs and poor clarity. I know they're not great excuses but regardless, I think if dealerships don't respond promptly to internet inquiries they shouldn't promote their email address!

We all know the saying "The customer is always right", I'm sure it was coined by a customer because when I was selling, I may have used the expression sometimes but I NEVER believed it...... ;)

RR

jwws9999 04-01-2017 06:02 AM

I understand where the dealers are coming from, but at the same time, they advertised the boat on the internet, so they have to be willing to accept the tradeoff of having to answer emails. I do it all day at my job, and there's no reason they can't do it, other than being lazy

jwws9999 04-01-2017 06:06 AM

BTW, Ed Champion and Bernie Neahaus have both taken the time to answer any question I have asked them through email, and they are extremely busy

sy goldberg 04-01-2017 01:03 PM

I do not know Ed,but I know Bernie for many years and you will get an honest answer from him.His dealership takes care of a lot of our insurance claims also.

madbouyz 04-02-2017 07:55 AM

Yet another issue that's a thorn in my side .
I've been waiting on followup from a major engine/sterndrive supplier for a year now .
Not only that but over a week ago I contacted a boat builder (through their website) asking what information I would need to supply them with to get a new fuel tank ordered for a friend who has tasked me with assisting in installing a new one in his boat .
Still waiting , and I doubt I'll get a response .
It's a shame because using the internet/e-mail is convenient and cheap compared to phone calls but few seem to be able to use that to their advantage and keep the customers happy.

Tractionless 04-03-2017 09:39 AM

I'd take my money elsewhere. Also be sure the site is legit and not just for email phishing.

TorchLK 04-03-2017 11:13 AM

I have had a less than stellar experiences calling on any boat that is brokered or sold through a dealer.

I have tried to just avoid it now in general. Every both I have purchased has been through a private seller and the transactions couldn't have been any smoother.