Old 04-08-2017, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

testing a few days before the race

https://youtu.be/6pGpQV5wlD4
Old 04-08-2017, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Awesome man, I didn't know you raced there. Those seat shocks need some tuning, bottoming out hard.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=BigSilverCat;4544668]It was pretty rough.

[url]https://youtu.be/mYN5

Are those motors carbureted? Where they loading up in the rough? Thanks
Old 04-08-2017, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Yeah one of my favorite boating videos!

and Tysons are sweet also! thanks for sharing!
Old 04-09-2017, 02:22 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
There is no opportunity for a v to run with the cats no matter how big or powerfull. The 38 fountain that finished close to the skater started a lot earlier and did not run as long of a course.
Based off the information given in the video, along with the video showing the start, the Fountain started at the same time as the big cats and ran the same course as the big cats. The video said the 60 MPH class started 15 minutes early and ran the shorter course. It then said 70 and 80 MPH classes go straight out while the 95, 120, and 130 MPH class does the two mile course in the gulf before heading out to the open ocean course. The Fountain was in the 95 MPH class so it should have done the same course as the big cats. Plus that Fountain was running Bravo1 outdrives so it couldn't possibly run as hard in the rough water. So honestly in my opinion if there was a big V bottom capable of running in the 120+ MPH top speed it would most definitely have a chance to run and finish with the big cats.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:42 AM
Registered

I started going through the tapes from races starting in 1992 when the first 46 Skater came out and I have been through about 50 race video's and have not found one yet where a V bottom beat a cat. I'm going to do some more research on it but from the people that have been around racing for the last 30 years that I have ask this morning no one can think of a v that has beat a cat since the first race a 46 Skater ran in. Pete has every race video starting from 1978 So It will take me awhile to go through them but I was wanting to make a chart of the boats and teams that won the most races starting in 1980. Kind of what is in the back of the searace? book, but updated to todays date.

I'm assuming that if I find a race where a v does win, there either will not be a big cat entered or the big cats would have been in the lead and broke. That has happened a few times in "the great race".

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 04-09-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
I started going through the tapes from races starting in 1992 when the first 46 Skater came out and I have been through about 50 race video's and have not found one yet where a V bottom beat a cat. I'm going to do some more research on it but from the people that have been around racing for the last 30 years that I have ask this morning no one can think of a v that has beat a cat since the first race a 46 Skater ran in. Pete has every race video starting from 1978 So It will take me awhile to go through them but I was wanting to make a chart of the boats and teams that won the most races starting in 1980. Kind of what is in the back of the searace? book, but updated to todays date.

I'm assuming that if I find a race where a v does win, there either will not be a big cat entered or the big cats would have been in the lead and broke. That has happened a few times in "the great race".
We raced a 41 Apache against the then new 40 Skaters many times in 1989-1992.
Regardless of the conditions, even big seas, we couldn't beat the Skaters unless they broke. And we had 30% more horsepower.
As for Fountains, we always beat them in big water, even with Regie throttling. Same power.

I can't even imagine how much better a 46 Skater would be.

Last edited by ApachePete; 04-09-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ApachePete
We raced a 41 Apache against the then new 40 Skaters many times in 1989-1992.
Regardless of the conditions, even big seas, we couldn't beat the Skaters unless they broke. And we had 30% more horsepower.
As for Fountains, we always beat them in big water, even with Regie throttling. Same power.
That is good first hand knowledge there, people always say that a big v could win in the rough. But people that have been in the situation know better. Jim raced all over the world in a 46 skater and said it's completely impossible for any v in the world to run with a skater, rough or not.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

Here's a cool promotional video of the Total Monster Skater w/ Sterling Power.

https://youtu.be/CV3-C2hm4ZA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.