Notices

hard lessons.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

You're responsible for your wake in a no wake zone or if you're the overtaking boat.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The chilling part is the guy who was so rattled that he just wanted to get home and see his kids instead of giving a statement... The older I get the more I understand what he was feeling. Just a horrible thing all around. Makes me nauseous and sad.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks All for all the great posts on this subject. I am new to the performance boating hobby/passion. Motorcycles and fast cars I have been involved with all my life. I am learning from all on here. Thank You. Agreed on the reporting, Excellent Job. Agreed on never drink and opperate anything, Even a Lawnmower. Bad Shizzz just happens to anyone.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
One thing that was not mentioned in the article was they were headed pretty much directly into the setting sun.

I've run that same water at LOTO into the setting sun dozens of times and even at 50mph, a big wake that you didn't see coming or you thought was just 2-3' will be a 4-5' and will catch you off guard.
+1. Heading into that sun that time of day is is like running more than half blind. You cannot read the water.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Wobble, you got it. Boat wake, speed, sun in your eyes. Moot point.

Originally Posted by Wobble
Unfortunetly it has been proven that nearly everything will catch you off guard under these conditions. Very tragic for all the friends and family.

"The certified toxicology report by the Missouri State Highway Patrol Crime Laboratory Division - with names redacted - shows both occupants of the catamaran were well over the legal limit for operating the boat with one registering a blood alcohol level of 0.121 and the other 0.156, nearly double the legal limit."
Old 04-11-2017, 01:14 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
If it`s the same spot in my vid @ :13 (right after a bridge @ :20 ) then yes, sun is low, very hard to read wakes. I got in a bit of trouble over there from 2 wakes coming together and throwing my boat sideways. Scary and very unexpected even thou it may not look like it in the vid the boat was on it`s side. The V cut thru it, if I had a cat the results might have been very different.
Same stretch of water and after going under the toll bridge, you head even more directly into the setting sun.
The toll bridge is about the 14mm. The reef in front Four seasons is about the 12mm. The 10.3mm is about where Ozark BBQ is.

You also have to be careful going upstream and heading away from the sun. Be aware that boats coming at you may not be able to see you well due to the setting sun.

Last edited by Griff; 04-11-2017 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

When its all said and done, remember the owner of this MTI was a grown adult. He was old enough to make his own decisions and obviously made some good ones over the years, and possibly one last bad one. He possessed the wherewithal to purchase a high speed boat and in all likelihood, he was aware of prior accidents in similar boats and knew the risks of operating a boat like this...there is no such thing as 100% safety in a boat that is designed to go fast. As long as there is a demand for these boats, they will be built...Godspeed.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by jusabum
When its all said and done, remember the owner of this MTI was a grown adult. He was old enough to make his own decisions and obviously made some good ones over the years, and possibly one last bad one. He possessed the wherewithal to purchase a high speed boat and in all likelihood, he was aware of prior accidents in similar boats and knew the risks of operating a boat like this...there is no such thing as 100% safety in a boat that is designed to go fast. As long as there is a demand for these boats, they will be built...Godspeed.
In this case, the owner even had some racing experience in catamarans. In the Lake Lanier case, both couples were long time high speed boaters. Everyone knew the risk but nobody planned on dying that day either. The Lanier case didn't publish the crash results but said high speed was a factor and oddly no toxicology results were obtained but police reported finding large quantities of alcohol at the crash scene.

I have zero catamaran experience and have never operated a boat at 100+ mph. I can see how these boats get out of control as they are damn near airplanes at certain speeds (packing air) and with over 2500 HP there is plenty of power to get the operator in trouble quickly.

I would think think after multiple fatalities in Somerset, Lanier and LOTO (all with experienced owners) the insurance companies are going to be the ones that put the brakes on owning these types of boats.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I Everyone knew the risk but nobody planned on dying that day either.
I don't see this as being much different than taking our sports car out on the highway. Throw all those same or similar conditions and **** happens.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn near airplanes is right on , how about a flying wing like a Horton but w zero controls and no way to keep it pointed in even one direction /

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.