Chicago's Navy Pier/Riverwalk >

Chicago's Navy Pier/Riverwalk

Notices

Chicago's Navy Pier/Riverwalk

Old 04-24-2017, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Chicago's Navy Pier/Riverwalk

Spent Saturday afternoon walking around Navy Pier and down part of the Riverwalk. Some of the restaurants weren't open yet for the season but overall this area is gorgeous. Can you park your boat somewhere along the Riverwalk and enjoy the area?[ATTACH=CONFIG]566732[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]566733[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]566734[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Chicago's Navy Pier/Riverwalk-coast-guard-navy-pier.jpg   Chicago's Navy Pier/Riverwalk-ferris-wheel-navy-pier.jpg   Chicago's Navy Pier/Riverwalk-trump-tower-chicago.jpg  

Old 04-24-2017, 07:42 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

You can go into the locks and a little bit down the river to dock and walk from there...but depending on where you go they will charge you for docking...last time i was down there they wanted $20/half hour but since we were eating at the joint and stayed for about 2hrs they waved the fee, but we gave the kid watching the boats $20/boat and he was giddy!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 04-24-2017, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

There IS a new spot you can dock right by Navy Pier....they just set it up last year. Only room for a couple boats, and I'm sure they get a hefty price for the time spent there...let me see if I can find it...
Old 04-24-2017, 01:38 PM
Registered

Found it...here you go! http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/
Old 04-24-2017, 01:43 PM
Registered

Also...like Wally said...you can lock through to the river. The new docking area by City Winery is actually very nice...we've swung in there a couple times for a bite to eat. I want to say the charge $1/foot per hour? BZ and I even rafted off there last fall...the kids working the docks are cool...toss them a little green and you are good to go.
Attached Thumbnails Chicago's Navy Pier/Riverwalk-img_4038.jpg   Chicago's Navy Pier/Riverwalk-img_4033.jpg  
Old 04-24-2017, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are killer pix Sommer.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Also...like Wally said...you can lock through to the river. The new docking area by City Winery is actually very nice...we've swung in there a couple times for a bite to eat. I want to say the charge $1/foot per hour? BZ and I even rafted off there last fall...the kids working the docks are cool...toss them a little green and you are good to go.
Nice! We're going to try it this year. What harbor would be closest to the lock?
Old 04-25-2017, 06:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SecondWind
Nice! We're going to try it this year. What harbor would be closest to the lock?
Well...Millenium is closest, but I'm not sure they have transient space available. Monroe is next, but that is just cans and no docks, then Burnham...which might have the same issue as Millenium. If I were you, I'd go for the newest one....31st St. TONS of open docks, nice facilities, a nice beach, pool...and a short Uber ride to downtown.

We spent a nice weekend there last year with a group of OSOers from Ohio.

Depending upon the size of your boat and the lake conditions, you might consider launching in Indiana at East Chicago and running to the city. Parking and ramp space is much greater there than at 31st.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:31 AM
Registered

Chicago is an awesome city to look at from the water...but it's only been recently that they have gotten their collective heads out of their bloated rear-ends with regards to being "boater-friendly." We are hoping for more in the future...

The tiny guy in the blue shirt in the last picture may/may not be around directing things...that is the mayor...Rahm Emmanuel. My wife went and talked to him...I was going to offer him a ride in the boat, but decided against it...
Attached Thumbnails Chicago's Navy Pier/Riverwalk-img_2553.jpg   Chicago's Navy Pier/Riverwalk-img_3590.jpg   Chicago's Navy Pier/Riverwalk-img_2695.jpg  

Chicago's Navy Pier/Riverwalk-img_2698.jpg  
Old 04-25-2017, 07:12 AM
Registered

:
Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Well...Millenium is closest, but I'm not sure they have transient space available. Monroe is next, but that is just cans and no docks, then Burnham...which might have the same issue as Millenium. If I were you, I'd go for the newest one....31st St. TONS of open docks, nice facilities, a nice beach, pool...and a short Uber ride to downtown.

We spent a nice weekend there last year with a group of OSOers from Ohio.

Depending upon the size of your boat and the lake conditions, you might consider launching in Indiana at East Chicago and running to the city. Parking and ramp space is much greater there than at 31st.
We launched at Burnham the last couple of times we tried to boat in Chicago (Air and Water Show and a Play Pen day). The harbor is nice and ramp is adequate for our size of boat. We even went through the lock to buy an anchor at West Marine as we lost one to start the morning. Our issue is the size and design of the boat. It's a 26 ft cat that doesn't do well in the rough. I was hoping to find a launch ramp close to the lock and protected from the wind! We ran from Burnham to the Air and Water Show cruising along at 80mph in the morning a few years ago. Trying to get back to Burnham late in the afternoon after the winds kicked up was difficult at any speed! Wasn't sure if we were going to make it back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.