Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
questions about surveys and surveyors >

questions about surveys and surveyors

Notices

questions about surveys and surveyors

Old 05-05-2017, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

Earlier this week, I had a need for a prepurchase inspection/survey in Toronto. I called a couple of guys, but went with Larry Watson with Charthouse Marine. Knowing that timeliness was important, he made it work and was able to do a survey yesterday. He called me last night and we spent an hour going over things on the phone. He will get me the written survey next week, but I at least I have a ton of knowledge to make a sound decision before driving up for a sea trial. He is SAMS certified, so if I go through with it, this will be the survey that I give the insurance company. I would very highly recommend him. He mainly does performance boats.

He also came highly recommended from Double R (they gave me a couple of other names that might have been as good, but they could not get to it)

Charthouse Marine
Larry Watson
20 Trillium Crescent
Barrie
ON L4N 5P5
705-728-1394
Old 05-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be looking at a boat in Morris, Illinois. Any recommended surveyors in that or the Chicago area? Thanks in advance.
Michael
Old 05-05-2017, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete35Fountain
yeah I do...seems the boating world has it's own set of standards and levels of customer service... as example a repair that is estimated to require 3 days lasts 3 weeks.
said repair requires 3 trips back to get it right.
the above example with surveyor.
I'm curious if this is the standard.
Yeah I'd say that's pretty typical. Crappy attitudes are normal. I am not sure why the marine industry retains so many of these people. There are awesome people out there but so many terrible attitudes that somehow keep making a living.

I called a vendor from the board this week and asked about a problem with one of their parts. Pretty simple thing and easily addressed. He acted like I called his Mom ugly rather than apologizing for the part's defect.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
Only have used Ed Cozzi

Never had any time issue or "get there when I get there". Professional, punctual, and detailed start to finish.
+1 on Ed Cozzi
Old 05-05-2017, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 36Tango
Earlier this week, I had a need for a prepurchase inspection/survey in Toronto. I called a couple of guys, but went with Larry Watson with Charthouse Marine. Knowing that timeliness was important, he made it work and was able to do a survey yesterday. He called me last night and we spent an hour going over things on the phone. He will get me the written survey next week, but I at least I have a ton of knowledge to make a sound decision before driving up for a sea trial. He is SAMS certified, so if I go through with it, this will be the survey that I give the insurance company. I would very highly recommend him. He mainly does performance boats.

He also came highly recommended from Double R (they gave me a couple of other names that might have been as good, but they could not get to it)

Charthouse Marine
Larry Watson
20 Trillium Crescent
Barrie
ON L4N 5P5
705-728-1394
Larry is one of the top 2 surveyors for boats in Ontario IMHO. When my clients send me a copy of a survey he has done I know they got a precise and detailed survey for the money. He is very detailed in the inspection and you will be happy with what you get.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally unacceptable. You are the client and he should respect you property. If you have not received the survey and your card has not been charged I would call or email him and voice your dissatisfaction and advise him you are not paying for the survey and advise your credit card company not to accept a charge from him.

There are lots of quality surveyors out there. If you need some names PM me and I can help you out.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Allrisks
Larry is one of the top 2 surveyors for boats in Ontario IMHO. When my clients send me a copy of a survey he has done I know they got a precise and detailed survey for the money. He is very detailed in the inspection and you will be happy with what you get.
Larry followed up with an email late last night after our conversation. Just a few minutes ago, he called me to follow up to see if I had any more questions or concerns that he could give me more detail on. Wow, you don't see that level of support very often in today's world. As far as billing, he just said, "drop a check in the mail". Seems like a hell of a guy.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Registered

"I'll get to it when I get to it" - Red Flag number one and should have cancelled at that point, but it's easy to monday morning quarterback it now.

Best of luck with it.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 234 Posts

My general experience with them is they hold them selves mightier than God, and know less than many would want to believe on here.

Kind of like half the azz holes that hold Captains licenses that I wouldn't trust rowing a boat in my bathtub.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pete35Fountain
I just had my first experience with a surveyor and a survey. Is it normal, given the time of year and that we here in Ontario have experienced a colder and far wetter than average spring, that it take 3 weeks from first contact to the date of the actual survey to be performed? Is it normal that it take 5 business days to get a copy of the survey? Is it normal that a credit card number be requested on first contact with a surveyor to facilitate getting your name in the cue for a booking for the survey to be performed? Is it normal that a surveyor will and I quote..."get to it when I get to it"? Is it normal that a surveyor speak to a potential client as if he/she are a pain in the ass? Is it normal that when the surveyor is requested to amend the survey to reflect the actual model of the boat although it is the same boat in the same condition, the valuation changes by 20K and the replacement cost for a new similar boat is devalued 40K...the original replacement cost value being no where close to what it would cost to buy new? Is it normal for a surveyor to climb all through a freshly painted boat with his or her shoes on? Is it normal for a surveyor to smear streaks of mud along the hut sides and deck of a boat, these last 2 points illustrating flagrant disregard for someone else's property let alone common courtesy and respect?

I am asking these questions in all sincerity. Yes they reflect my experience but this is not to slander or malign any one individual, merely my own curiosity, not having been through such an experience previously. Any insight is appreciated.

Sounds pretty close to my one experience with a "surveyor"