Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Drives what to do what to use?? >

Drives what to do what to use??

Notices

Drives what to do what to use??

Old 09-28-2002, 02:08 PM
satisfaction69

Default Drives what to do what to use??

OK I this this last year and it turned out to be a project more and more. So I'm going through the boat and doing it right.

The Boat: 1979 Cigarette 280SS New transom and stringers(HAD TO DO)

The Engines: 2x 454's approx. 565-600hp they are at a dyno shop now should have sheets in couple weeks.(HAD TO DO ALSO)

The Drives: TRS's 1was rebuilt before I bought the boat 1 was rebuilt after I bought the boat.

Now my Dilema is I don't want to rehang the TRS's back on my boat pushing 600HP through them because I'll be rebuilding/replacing constantly. And they are not cheap to do so.

What is/are any alternatives to the TRS drives. Mercury 3A, SSM #3 (are these the same?) #4's on a 28' Cig possible? What about the new B-Max drives and The IMCO Advantage drives?

What are the Pros/Cons of each drive on this boat and opinions??

I have time to find what I'm going to get the boats going to the paint booth soooon for a killer paint job and then the interior work will begin.

Also to make it easier for the drive set-up I have not yet mounted or drilled the engine rails yet.

Later Sat69

Old 09-28-2002, 09:24 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a new transome, now os the time to make a change, if youare going to. A #3 will not bolt up to a trs gimble and props are a lot more expensive.
A Bmax/Imco, or any Bravo type drive, you do away with the tranmission. Which will change the characteristics of the boat. Maybe a good thing, maybe not. It will change because you have to move the engines back, or install driveshafts and a second engine mount.

Another way to go would be the Konrad drive. The Konrad drive will bolt up to your TRS gimble and use your current trans.

Really, I think you would be better off with 600hp going thru a TRS than a Bmax.
Old 09-28-2002, 09:38 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I've ever heard , TRS drives are pretty darn strong.
Old 10-05-2002, 12:56 PM
satisfaction69

I can use more insight on this would be great. Computer is still down so my post/reply are gonna be a while.

The other reason I'm wanting to change to a stronger drive is plan on upping the HP as soon as the boat is completed 2x600HP=1200HP but want the boat to see 80MPH if not I'm going to add superchargers and try to bring the hp to 700-725 each.

Where are the GURU'S on the board need to know what to do so I can start planning and shopping for what I'm gonna need.

Later Sat69

Old 10-05-2002, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

XR's....my pareents never had any luck with #3 or TRS's....plus the engines can come back!
Old 10-05-2002, 02:28 PM
satisfaction69

OK here we go again. What dives will handle in near future enough HP,700 hp to possibly push a 28' 8700lb boat to 80+ MPH other than TRS drives I know that I'll have to be real easy on them to make last the TRS drives that is. Again I'm open to anything I got time to plan here.

Later Sat69

Old 10-05-2002, 04:16 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

speedy 3s or bigger or ASD6. WHy f*** around with moving the engines especially for a drive thas is only rated to 575hp?

speedmasters will increase the resale value of the boat
Old 10-05-2002, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Not sure if a 28' Cig weighs 8400lbs---I know that Cigarettes are inheirently heavy, therefore I could be wrong. I'm with Audacity--- A smaller/lighter boat (which is in your case) with Bravo One drives like the XR should be good enough I would think. To have trannies in a 28' boat sounds kind of redundant these days and a 28' boat with big blocks is cramped as it is. By installing the Bravo XR's you can move the engines back which will give you the advantage on the center of gravity and angle of attack. You can add some Stellings extension boxes as well which will artificially lengthen your boat and it will act as it is closer to 30' long vs 28' and add stability/handling to the boat as well. Being that your boat is a 1979 it probably doesn't have a notched transom, therefore you could possibly bennefit from the extension boxes. Also in my opinion, twin 700hp engines is A LOT of power for only a 28' hull---doubt you'd be able to keep it in the water with that kind of power on a rough day, therefore I think a Bravo One XR would be more suitable for you application. Just one man's opinion.

Best wishes
Old 10-12-2002, 03:49 PM
satisfaction69

what's the differance between the Bravo XR's and the Bravo XT's that everybody is racing and breaking in apba and other high power pleasure boats.

Kaama: that's about what the boat weighed wet ready to run 2 people and full of fuel.

OK SSM 3's will add resale what are pros/cons of the 3's ??

I think this is what I'll be putting on the boat. I know that a lot of you are preaching Bravos but I don't think I'd feel comfortable(watching over my shoulder) with them on the back with a min. of 600hp

My mind is not made up yet so keep the info coming and any other reasonable ideas too

Later Sat69

Damn computer is still down

Old 10-12-2002, 05:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Try to get a hold of Cig28SS. He has a 1978 Cig28 with 502's and Livorsi Marine's new Extreme supercharger set-up (dynoed over 600hp). I have been in his boat going close to 90 non-GPS speedo. He removed the TRS's and installed Bravo 1's. He plans to upgrade the gears in these drives this winter, but with attentive driving has not broken one yet. He also added extension boxes crafted by himself.

Road in 2-4's in Lake Mi. and it rode awesome. Boat is very heavy, but takes to rougher water quite well.