Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Center Console vs. Traditional V w Stern Drive >

Center Console vs. Traditional V w Stern Drive

Notices

Center Console vs. Traditional V w Stern Drive

Old 06-02-2017, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

I went from shootout to bagnell after the shootout both days with the throttles at 30 - 40mph and never got a drop on me or my passengers. No spilled drinks ect. Funniest thing is besides a few cigs or the gotcha now skater... not much came around us ... the Orange red and black dcb cat that ran the shootout looked like it was all he could do to run that fast.

boat is a tidewater 280cc. 10 foot beam. Flaired front. I have been super impressed with ride
Old 06-02-2017, 08:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M

"...............Best things about the Concept.....the shade, I can hear the stereo when I'm riding, getting in and out of the boat from the water, or dock is easier, BBQ grill, I can fish if I choose, can still run decent speeds, turnkey reliable engines. I get a lot of compliments on the boat when I arrive somewhere.
I don't think CC's are a fad. They been around a long time, just not in the current bling levels. The 30 Concept had been around for 20+ yrs.
"

Big 'Like', agree with all the above.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Apexwarrior
As you can guess, I'm considering making the switch. What's it like at higher speeds on a CC, say 60+? I'm sure whomever is driving is well protected, but how does it compare sitting in the back of a CC vs. the rear bench of a go fast from a wind perspective?

I love doing Poker Runs and while I now have the capability of running 90+, most of the time is spent running around 60 or so. Does wind make it so uncomfortable for passengers that you don't want to run over 40?
Depends on your passengers.With the exception of those directly behind the wind screen, your passengers will most definitely be exposed to more wind at speed. They are also more likely to feel less secure when running hard as opposed to being in the back of the traditional vee. If you plan to do a lot of Poker Runs with a CC, I would highly recommend a two bolster setup behind the wind screen. This will provide wind protection for up to 6 and will give those 6 the most secure seating when running hard. Once you get to where you are going, nothing beats a CC on anchor or rafted up for allowing a large group of people room to maneuver around the boat.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

If you think a cc has no pedigree, Donzi built 102 'St Tropez' models from '65-'76.
Attached Thumbnails Center Console vs. Traditional V w Stern Drive-img_6840.png  
Old 06-02-2017, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm probably the one weirdo that turned back to traditional V. I owned a 27 concept and after 2 years I couldn't take it anymore. my issues had more to do with the particular make and model than the layout. so strictly speaking from a "layout" perspective
Things I hated about my CC experience:
-I froze my ass off in spring and fall, there is just no kind of protection what so ever. so you either dressed appropriately and died of heat at idle or froze your butt off on plane.
-everything had to be stored, tied down, or put away or it blew out of the cockpit. I lost fenders, shirts, hats, cushions, even sunglasses.
-the seating wasn't comfortable, I even built my own custom bench with flip up bolsters but It still wasn't as nice as a classic bolster.
-useless swim platform. hanging out at the beach meant you were either in the boat or swimming but no one liked hanging out hugging an outboard.
-no sunpad. wife always complained there was no place to layout, and while I could have made a filler cushion for the bow...it probably would have blown out of the cockpit on plane like everthing else.

Things I love about my CC experience:
-it was easy to fit tons of people and they could easily move around without getting in the way.I fit 6 adults and 5 kids and easily hopped on plane and felt there was plenty of room.
-the outboard was cake to maintain and work on. that said I'd never go back to a 2 stroke though I had a 300x that was ear bleedingly loud, sounded tough at idle but once on plain it was just annoying, expensive to run, and was a little bit too finicky for my taste.
-cleaning wise I'd say I didn't find there to be a big advantage, dirt still gets everywhere and needs cleaned, and using a hose alone rarely gets the job done, you still have to scrub, wax, etc. just nice to do it all standing up vs. on your hands and knees.
- docking was a piece of cake with the easy access to the bow and stern. also nice to be able to peek back to see what direction the motor was facing when your in a tight space and playing the F-N-R game and spinning the wheel back and forth.

also it's important to note I'm in seasonal fresh water, if I lived in FL salt It'd probably be a no brainer. I might go back to a bigger go-fast CC someday (when I find the money) but since I was a kid wanted to own a traditional twin v8 go-fast. and I missed the sound, missed having a comfortable seat, miss the usable swim platform and I missed being able to overnight. that said I have the luxury of owning a 15' CC edgewater for when I want something that fills the positives column listed above. so I guess my advice is just buy one of each

Last edited by blckkat; 06-02-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^^That's the kind of info I've been looking for. My biggest hesitation on owning a CC has been the absence of the swim platform and sunpad. Where does everyone hang out at when it's hot as hell? In the water and at the back of the boat.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

Great feedback and exactly what I was looking for. I guess one reason CC's are less common in the Northeast and Great Lakes is the wind/cold issue. Big difference between wind on you when it's 80+ degrees vs. 60.

For me, going warp 9 with my hair on fire isn't that important anymore and I find most of my time spent cruising with family and friends. If I can set up a CC that can run in the mid 70's, that should allow me to still cruise at 60 in Poker Runs, which is what I fins myself doing anyway with the Formula.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunrunner72
^^^^^^That's the kind of info I've been looking for. My biggest hesitation on owning a CC has been the absence of the swim platform and sunpad. Where does everyone hang out at when it's hot as hell? In the water and at the back of the boat.
Sunsation's top doubles as a sunpad. Check out the video on their site. Depending on the boat, the rear areas aren't all that bad to hang out on and for getting in and out of the water. The Nor-Tech's are very good in this regard.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunrunner72

in the water or under the t-top.....where do you hang out in your traditional Vee if you don't have cabin air?

a lot of bigger CC's have built in sun loungers now upfront...why need a sun pad when you have that? On older ones with a cuddy like the scarab 302 they make a pad that goes over the cuddy that is a sun pad.

I don't think we are talking about bare bones fishing CC'S are we?
Old 06-02-2017, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Sunsation's top doubles as a sunpad. Check out the video on their site. Depending on the boat, the rear areas aren't all that bad to hang out on and for getting in and out of the water. The Nor-Tech's are very good in this regard.
Statement has dual power sun loungers that fold flat at the bow, and a double lounger out back that also doubles as a cooler.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.