Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Another Darwin Canidate.  Don't put 28 gallons of gas in your fishing rod holder. >

Another Darwin Canidate. Don't put 28 gallons of gas in your fishing rod holder.

Notices

Another Darwin Canidate. Don't put 28 gallons of gas in your fishing rod holder.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:07 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts
Exclamation Another Darwin Canidate. Don't put 28 gallons of gas in your fishing rod holder.

Oops

North Carolina boat exploded after gas was pumped into fishing rod holder

North Carolina boat exploded after gas was pumped into fishing rod holder | Fox News

Last edited by WARPARTY36; 06-05-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Saw that on FB. I can't believe nobody smelled gas LONG before 28 galllons were pumped.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:56 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

They were disconnecting the battery cables so it wouldn't spark? Gee....not even sure what to say about that one.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Far from the 1st time this has happened but I can never figure out how they never notice that there wasn't a screw on cap on what they thought was the fuel fill when they went to stick the nozzle in .
Old 06-05-2017, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sure hope alcohol was involved in this incident... otherwise you have just zero excuse for that
Old 06-05-2017, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Sorry all you experts but this can and did happen to me minus the explosion. Pulled into a gas station with my old Mako on trailer. I reached up on the gunnel and removed the gas cap, standing on the ground you can reach the gas cap but cannot see it. My son grabbed the fill hose from the gas pump and reached up and stuck it into a rod holder that was appx. a foot away from the fill tube and began pumping fuel. Luckily I stood up on the trailer fender and saw what happened and not much fuel was pumped into the hull. Went back home and washed the fuel out and started over with new procedures for fueling the boat !
Old 06-05-2017, 09:01 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Yeah, I don't get the disconnect the batteries thing. I would've been no where near the boat until the gas was diluted and aired out.

You can usually suck through the bilge drain thru-hull, through the bilge pump. This would have been a safe way to extract the gasoline, which could have been done right there at the dock as long has you had a proper fluid extraction pump.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was a child my dad filled his '57 Coronado up with 25 gallons of fuel in the bilge. It had twin 18 gallon gas tanks on the sides if the boat. They gas tanks shifted and disconnected the fuel fill from the tank. Once he looked up and saw the amount of gas he stopped and found out what happened. He got is towed in and boat pulled out. Took it to my uncle's garage and dumped as much stuff as they could in the bilge. Luckily with a wife and 3 kids my father was smart enough to get us off the boat and onto my uncle's asap. He got it all fixed that following week and we went boating the next weekend on it. In short filling in the wrong spot can happen, it how you access and handle the mistake that matters. These people not that bright on how they handled it
Old 06-05-2017, 09:37 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Sorry all you experts but this can and did happen to me minus the explosion. Pulled into a gas station with my old Mako on trailer. I reached up on the gunnel and removed the gas cap, standing on the ground you can reach the gas cap but cannot see it. My son grabbed the fill hose from the gas pump and reached up and stuck it into a rod holder that was appx. a foot away from the fill tube and began pumping fuel. Luckily I stood up on the trailer fender and saw what happened and not much fuel was pumped into the hull. Went back home and washed the fuel out and started over with new procedures for fueling the boat !
But this boat was in the water at the marina getting fuel, not on a trailer.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Jeff Williamson, who runs a fishing charter out of Ocean Isle Beach, said he warned the boaters after seeing the sheen of gas on the water.

So the bilge pump put a lot of fuel in the water around them???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.