Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
28' AT, 28' Pantera, 28' Apache, 30' Superboat, 27' Kryptonite, 30' Cig, 27' Activato >

28' AT, 28' Pantera, 28' Apache, 30' Superboat, 27' Kryptonite, 30' Cig, 27' Activato

Notices

28' AT, 28' Pantera, 28' Apache, 30' Superboat, 27' Kryptonite, 30' Cig, 27' Activato

Old 10-17-2002, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flylevel,

Fair enough, but this is just the beginning of the research and we all have to start somewhere. It's a bit too difficult to talk about the type of water, etc. We all have an overall opinion of each of the boats, and while there are other dimensions to judge the boats on, which we can start, I though t I would start with speed and quality. What kind of quality? Materials and such. What kind of speed? Let's say not flat, but not rough, say 2-3' waves.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:36 AM
Registered

Too Old,

What 2 dimensions would you judge boats on a broad scale with?
Old 10-18-2002, 03:26 PM
Ingolf

Thumbs down Fountains

If anybody thinks the newer generation of Fountains (post 10 and 12-meter days) are of quality build...ask yourself this. Would I spend $150K to $250K for a high performance boat where the manufacturer uses electrical tie wraps to hold up the throttle and electrical harnesses? Go look at one if you don't believe me?

I work for a Government Agency where we used 42’ Fountains in a law enforcement capacity. Within weeks of delivery some of the boats developed stress cracks with the lamination in the bow (under the bow storage lockers) and around stringers in the engine compartment. The boats had to be sent back to the factory for reinforcement. Within days of sea trials, the tie wraps had broken and I found the throttle and electrical harnesses lying on top of the hot exhaust riser! The boats were used in the Caribbean at moderate speeds. THEY ARE CRAP and were retired to training divisions!

We have 35’, 36’ and 38’ Cigarette’s from the early and mid eighties, which are as sound and seaworthy as the day they rolled off 188th Street.

I can not fault the technology in the stepped hull designs (as long as you don’t turn) but what good is speed if your boat and passengers fall apart around you underway? As you probably can tell I am not a fan of Fountain or stepped hulls. Give me a straight 24-degree deadrise and I’ll die happy.

I presently live in Northern Jersey and have looked at or ridden in Activators, Progressions and Superboats. These manufacturers still live, and I believe attain, the standards set by Aronow and his family of boats.

So I added my two cents for what it’s worth.

Old 10-18-2002, 03:52 PM
Registered

Ingolf,

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:05 PM
Misty

Default Fountain

Ingolf,

Your point is not only frightening, but it's accurate. I have surveyed Fountain hulls of varying age and length, and I found that a Fountain is all marketing hype – and just that. They use general resins and plywood – standard hand layups with an occasional chopper. Conclusion: A Fountain is not constructed any better than a Sea Ray. Maybe this has something to do with why Fountain as a company is way into the red, and Mercury has their hungry eyes on Reggie. You see, Reggie owes Mercury - he owes them a lot because if his overhead. I wonder what will happen. You should all keep an eye on Fountain - mark my words on this one.

As for their hull design, that’s purely up to the buyer, but the hooked nose that is characteristic of those boats takes away from bottom’s running area. What I mean is, when you buy a Fountain, two feet of the boat is in the hooked nose. In essence, a 27 footer with this design will have the equivalent of a 25-26 foot standard hull bottom.

Rtaylor, this could be a very good thread. Presenting facts with user experience will certainly be informative to the prospective buyer. I would like to help. Let’s decide who the players will be, and I’ll do the appropriate research on my end.

Misty

Old 10-19-2002, 12:15 AM
Registered

Misty,
Sounds good. I've gotta get some sleep,as i've been playing pool all night (another of my hobbies). Talk tomorrow.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:57 PM
Registered

ttt, Superboat claims they glass the hull deck and stringers if this is not true please confirm.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Is Powerplay still in business?? Their 28' is very sharp looking and their quality/design is top notch.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Registered

I believe Dan has partnered with another boat company, powerplay builds a boat as good as anybody.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummmmm, this thread is over a yr old

Quick Reply: 28' AT, 28' Pantera, 28' Apache, 30' Superboat, 27' Kryptonite, 30' Cig, 27' Activato

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.