Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
28' AT, 28' Pantera, 28' Apache, 30' Superboat, 27' Kryptonite, 30' Cig, 27' Activato >

28' AT, 28' Pantera, 28' Apache, 30' Superboat, 27' Kryptonite, 30' Cig, 27' Activato

Notices

28' AT, 28' Pantera, 28' Apache, 30' Superboat, 27' Kryptonite, 30' Cig, 27' Activato

Old 02-10-2004, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not a 500 or 525 in a Superboat? I think this would harm the bang for the buck argument, the Superboat is appealing to me for $$$ value. Not only is cost down but how much is saved by staying with the 496?

As for Howard and DCB seen the articals and both have 22deg bottom, I like the deeper V and I've never seen them. Joker makes a killer 2 seater no room in the back.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked at both the Howard and DCB before buying my Warlock back in 98. Actually I looked at all the 26-29' boats available on the west coast. Then came east and checked out Sonic, Pantera, Powerplay and Cig. I was living in CA at the time so it was were I was going to buy a boat.
My main requirements were to have a comfortable, well built weekend boat at a reasonable price. I also figured if you put enough power to anything, it would be fast.
There are good and not so good points to all of them, but the one thing I will say about DCB is that the rigging is unbeliveable!!!! Every boat is truly a one of a kind custom boat. I just didnt feel the extra cost was worth it, fit and finish was about as perfect as you can get.
Howard was about in the middle of the pack, but I wanted a bigger cabin.
I didnt look at some of the smaller NE companys but after seeing there boats I think I still would have picked the Warlock.
I've been totally satisfied with it for 6 years, its been everything I wanted it to be. It has held up to everything I could put to it, and I've boated in every type of water from NW Washington to the SE Florida, but feel the need to move into something bigger and slower.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:19 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The 30' Superboat Has almost everything, Styling is unequal, lots of cock pit room and looks very nice, cockpit liner keeps everything clean and dry, performance speaks for itself. Pantera, great performance, cock pit and cabin second to none. Activator, Top Performance, little small but nothing beats it, 2 National and 1 World Championship. Kryptonite, excellent boat handles better than you'd expect a 22/23 degree bottom. Cock pit interior looks very nice never seen the cabin.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:54 AM
Registered

I think that Progression ofers one of the best finishes in the market for a gelcoat job.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Registered

“Take a risk.”

ok…

why compare by length? seems artificial. why not by the single shared attribute - price? allows for real option comparison.

how meaningful to compare the $50k 30’ superboat to the $125k 30’ cigarette?

why not ask what the best boat at $50k, $75k, $100k, $125k?

and if performance the criteria, and there no replacement for displacement, then is not the less expensive/larger boat always the better in rough water then its more expensive/smaller competitors?

why not compare the $50k 30' superboat to the $50k 22' donzi classic?

why not compare the $125k 30’ cigarette to the $125k 36’ baja outlaw? which the better rough water performer?
Old 02-11-2004, 05:23 PM
Registered

What is price? Retail, real price? Some builder will give you a good # if you talk to them, I'm sure people will not give you the real # as to what they actually paid.

Pat at Active will give you an honest #, so will Jo at Pantera. Fountain say the 35 with575 is $350, more like $225. Formula ask 90 for their 27 same for fountain and donzi want 125 for their 28 with twins and dealers have them advertised at 79-89 in the boat trader. I agree price is the main issue and a great way to compair just hard to get an actual fig.

Example, 2 years ago I was ready to buy an Active Thunder 28 with a 496HO. Pat was excellent to work with, a good friend of mine wanted to Partner with me on a 330 Formula Sunsport, it was a 99 withlow hours and twin7.4, our wives loved it and we have kids the same age, great move? Wrong. I'm anal and he docks by crashing, never cleans up and never fills up; so instead of fighting I had him buy me out(no harm no foul) I went back to Active and Pat had hired Steve Wilson who said sure we'll build you a 28. It will take 6-8 mnths and cost 145-150K He said they were way to busy building 37 to think about 28s. I think Pat is far more resonable than that so when it is time to buy I will give consideration to Active Thunder, Pantera , and Superboat. I sell Real Estate and have recently purchased some rental property, I need to wait until they are producing to buy. PS I do not want a boat loan.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:02 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the record, Activator has three consecutive APBA National Championship titles.
Check out the picture in the newest Powerboat Mag on page 10 and 11. It clearly shows why the Activator is dominant in it's class. Page 12 and 13 shows the California boats trying to catch the World Championship boat.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by HebertNecessity
What is price? Retail, real price? Some builder will give you a good # if you talk to them, I'm sure people will not give you the real # as to what they actually paid

..... I went back to Active and Pat had hired Steve Wilson who said sure we'll build you a 28. It will take 6-8 mnths and cost 145-150K
I will build you the 28 for $150k, too........
Old 02-11-2004, 07:26 PM
Registered

I bet you will
Old 02-11-2004, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Somebody please explain... Are you kidding me??
Maybe I have somewhat of a biased opinion BUT..
You guys are putting Activator towards the top of the chart for speed.........and towards the bottom for quality???

Quick Reply: 28' AT, 28' Pantera, 28' Apache, 30' Superboat, 27' Kryptonite, 30' Cig, 27' Activato

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.