Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
28' AT, 28' Pantera, 28' Apache, 30' Superboat, 27' Kryptonite, 30' Cig, 27' Activato >

28' AT, 28' Pantera, 28' Apache, 30' Superboat, 27' Kryptonite, 30' Cig, 27' Activato

Notices

28' AT, 28' Pantera, 28' Apache, 30' Superboat, 27' Kryptonite, 30' Cig, 27' Activato

Old 10-16-2002, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rtaylor ,
I ment no bashing , Misty made an incorrect statment regarding the construction of a particular boat , and I was merely informing her of the mistake , She implied expertise on marine construction and that is rarely achieved by reading back issues of magazines . No offense ment . I do own a superboat , but dont believe it is the finest of the boats mentioned . I have had several of the mentioned boats and personally believe the kryptonite is a better built hull than both superboat and progression . They are all good boats and equally equipped are very close . Thats what makes factory 1 a drivers class . The best team ,driver and throttleman , even though they may not admit it , could win in any of the F1 boats . We all have personal favorites . I own a U19 with a FORD 5.8 and a VOLVO drive ! I must really be wacked . And I also am guilty of waving at everybody (even bayliners) Marketing does amazing things .You know how many people still believe Donzi makes the best performance boats !! Its all in the marketing . Get a ride in as many different boats as possible , and decide what you like best . Most of us cant afford our favorites (I want a 40 ft skater with sterlings). One of the best rides I ever got was in a V24 bat boat , I just wouldnt buy one because it was impractical for me .
Good luck rtaylor
Jcap
Old 10-16-2002, 10:40 PM
Registered

BJM and JCAP.

Thank you for your responses. I find them very helpful. Anybody else?
Old 10-16-2002, 10:45 PM
Registered

Again, so you don't have to go to the top and look for the meaning of this thread. Here are my perceptions. What are yours? No bashing allowed, as all of the boats below have their own strengths. I just happened to use the dimensions of speed versus quality of build. If you had th ebest of both worlds it would become cost prohibitive.

Quality
|-------Apache
|---------Pantera
|--------------------Cigarette
|
|------------------------------------------Progression
|-------------Sonic-----Active Thunder-Phantom
|-------------Baja------------------------Kryptonite
|----------------------------------------Superboat
|-----------------------------------------------Activator
------------------------------------------------------------------------Speed
|
Old 10-16-2002, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

I always find these threads an interesting read- you can get opinions from every angle!
I'm not in total agreement that a boat has to be proven on the race course to be a great boat. There are many boat mfg's that make boats strong and fast enough to race, they just don't pursue that direction. They prefer go down the path of what the average boating public wants; a boat with a normal amenities, not a race boat. As far as I know, nobody is racing a 28' AT. Mine has a very large cabin, and can run with bigger boats at speed in both the ocean and Lake Michigan with no problem- it is VERY solid. I think they would do admirably in F1 racing; the rougher the better.

rtaylor- I thought of one that definitely should be in the mix here- the 28' Sunsation. I have seen these run, and have been to the factory. They have a great build quality, and there are some OSO members running them in big water. They are very happy owners! Sun only offers this boat in single engine, though.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:01 PM
Registered

Jafo,
Cool. I will add Sunsation here and let's see if there are any reactions:

Quality
|-------Apache
|---------Pantera
|
|------------------------------Sunsation-Progression
|-------------Baja------------------------Kryptonite
|
Old 10-16-2002, 11:02 PM
joeyoffshore

"Gee I Wonder"

Old 10-16-2002, 11:04 PM
Registered

Joeyoffshore,

What?
Old 10-17-2002, 12:56 AM
voodoo

Give me a break! 3 pages of BS and no mention of Velocity. VR1 is the best of the class hands down. If you want a full cabin look at the 280. Hull is fast, quality is great, factory is easy to deal with. I can't believe after 20 years of kicking a$$ how hard it is to get respect. Alot of these other boats are just the flavor of the day with splashed hulls. Buy an original!

Old 10-17-2002, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a reason why some companys do not gain recognition, whether they have splashed hulls or not, the bottom line is construction methods/quality vs price of boat. Do your own homework, go into it unbiased, dont be settled on a boat without going for a ride, ride as many as possible, and speak with the owners, I personally like the custom builers, they can give you exactly what you want at the same price or slightly more. Look at Active Thunder, Powerplay, and Pantera. All 3 awesome boats, been proven, Active Thunder is working on an AVH hull design by Harry Scholl just like my 37 A.T. for the 28. Good luck to you, its alot of fun, take care, Jeff Jassby
Old 10-17-2002, 09:36 AM
Registered

Feel better?

Quality
|-------Apache
|---------Pantera
|
|--------------------------(Sunsation-Powerplay)-Progression
|-------------Baja----------------------Velocity-Kryptonite
|

Quick Reply: 28' AT, 28' Pantera, 28' Apache, 30' Superboat, 27' Kryptonite, 30' Cig, 27' Activato

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.