Loud BANG sound- new Merc Racing 565, DTS, XR >

Loud BANG sound- new Merc Racing 565, DTS, XR

Notices

Loud BANG sound- new Merc Racing 565, DTS, XR

Old 06-18-2017, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loud BANG sound- new Merc Racing 565, DTS, XR

Hey fellas... looking for some guidance.

Twice now, I have got a loud BANG sound when initially (immediately) starting to throttle up to get on plane. Backed off immediately, put into neutral, raised engine and checked everything out, no warnings on Vesselview/smartcraft. Shifted into drive and reverse a few times, all fine. Then back into drive and began to throttle up again.... again BANG!! Immediately backed off again... and another round of checks...nothing. Back into drive... and throttled up no problem, and no issues, sounds(e.g. Grinding), the rest of day. But damn that didn't sound good... and has me concerned.

Boat is 2016 Hustler Talon 25, less than 30 hours(essentially brand new), Merc Racing 565, DTS, XR, ITS.

Merc Motor and drivetrain all still under warranty so I plan to make a call tomorrow... however I am a far cry from a mechanic, so figured I would check in here for any thoughts, wisdom or suggestions.

Thanks in advance mates.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

might be external, look back by the transom assembly, is anything loose? the bang could be bell housing or U joints, the grinding would be a bearing of some sort, gimbal bearing?
Old 06-18-2017, 09:15 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I would make the call into the dealer or manu whom sold you the boat and complete engine package, also just saying on top of, if it was a different party whom rigged it. Should all still be under warranty. Also not many 565 out in the market place and especially less up here whom own a 565.

Is the bang noise -- drive side or engine side or hull side ?
Old 06-19-2017, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts

how high was the drive trimmed?
Old 06-19-2017, 06:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mindog20
might be external, look back by the transom assembly, is anything loose? the bang could be bell housing or U joints, the grinding would be a bearing of some sort, gimbal bearing?
everything tight in transom. Checked soup to nuts when I got home.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
I would make the call into the dealer or manu whom sold you the boat and complete engine package, also just saying on top of, if it was a different party whom rigged it. Should all still be under warranty. Also not many 565 out in the market place and especially less up here whom own a 565.

Is the bang noise -- drive side or engine side or hull side ?
Completely built/rigged by Hustler. Calling today. Couldn't tell if noise came from engine bay, or from hull side. Seemed like engine bay... and now has me wondering if just backfire.... sounded different than backfire though.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
how high was the drive trimmed?
All the way down.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Before doing any more damage, quit driving it immediately, and take it back for warranty ASAP.
A small problem, can become huge, in a very short time.
Get the problem documented as early as you can, to save yourself grief and major expense down the road.
Please let us know what they find, once the problem is corrected.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is a backfire, it could be as simple as bad gas / water in fuel / separators need changed. You have a warranty, use it. Lose FI wire harness connector will also cause a backfire as well as a loose plug wire.

Last edited by dmaxximus; 06-19-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The big problem here is going to be getting it to make the bang noise when the tech is with you. If it can't be replicated its going to be a ***** to find!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.