Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best Paint to paint a Outdrive?? >

Best Paint to paint a Outdrive??

Notices

Best Paint to paint a Outdrive??

Old 07-01-2017, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Paint to paint a Outdrive??

I am going to paint my outdrive what is the best paint.Long lasting durable etc.
Please respond with your experience.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:22 PM
Registered

Following
Old 07-01-2017, 06:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

There are a number of very good paint products that will work well on a stern drive. I'll let some other folks chime in on what they favor. But I'll state that every one of them will be worthless if you don't pay very close attention to the pre-paint steps. Time and time again I've seen folks waste their time, effort and money with expensive (and sometimes inexpensive) paints only to watch them pretty much fall off. What did they do wrong? They sleazed out on the pre-paint steps such as proper sanding, cleaning, metal prep, sealing, primer and curing.

As for my personal favorite, I have Imron on the CLE gear case on my 1992 Mercury 2.5/200 outboard. I had the gear case professionally painted by a friend over 20 years ago. Other than a few light scratches and chips picked up from running almost 80 MPH over the years, it still looks damn near perfect. Needless to say, it was prepped correctly. Oh, and it wasn't cheap either.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:42 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Couple of older posts with good information...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...e-paint-4.html

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...outdrives.html
Old 07-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Might sound funny but...the merc phantom black in a can comes out nice. Easy to apply, cheap, and is durable.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:42 AM
Registered

Prep work is definately key... gotta get any old oxidation, chipping, flaking and corrosion cleaned up. I just repainted my drives this spring. Used Rustoleum gloss black in spray cans. It doesnt have the finish that a professional job would have, but it only cost me 10 bucks and a several hours worth of my time. It is good for a quick fix.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:01 PM
Registered

I dont think I would use rustoleum or any paints I could buy at autozone or a cheap paint.I am getting some used #6 Merc drves and they need paint.I need something very good quality.So far my best idea from this is the merc phantom black
Old 07-02-2017, 01:34 PM
Registered

The Merc phantom black paint is inexpensive and great but like all others said, you'll need to prep properly. I sanded my drives down last year, cleaned them but ran out of time and just sprayed them. Needed the boat for a poker run....3 days on the water (80+) and half the paint was gone when I pulled her out. The next time I paint them, ill prime them properly. Powder coating is also another option, probably them most permanent and best but also the most expensive.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by turbos230
I dont think I would use rustoleum or any paints I could buy at autozone or a cheap paint.I am getting some used #6 Merc drves and they need paint.I need something very good quality.So far my best idea from this is the merc phantom black
Be sure to follow the Phantom Black with Mercury Leveler spray. It is a clear coat that gives it a glossy factory finish eliminating any orange peel or rough overspray. I've used it several times and it works great.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/pain...FZO1wAodEQkC9Q

Last edited by 4mulafastech; 07-02-2017 at 06:14 PM. Reason: added link
Old 07-03-2017, 03:58 PM
Registered

I did some paint repairs a couple years back with the Merc paints. Sanded and prepped, then used Mercs primer, followed by black and then clear. What I noticed was that after sitting in the water for a little while, the painted areas had a grayish appearance to them compared to the original factory painted areas. This color difference would go away once the boat was back on the trailer and everything was dry. Wont know if the rustoleum paint will do the same until I get to put the boat in some nice clear water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.