Heart broken Hammond Owner >

Heart broken Hammond Owner

Notices

Heart broken Hammond Owner

Old 07-19-2017, 02:28 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you google merc 470 knocking noise there are a lot of threads and several different possibilities. Might want to have a second opinion or try some of the things yourself.

If the oil pressure is ok when warm it likely is not a bearing.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Something doesn't smell right here. Newly registered has owned/owns 9 other boats but bought a 38 year old bow rider and is seeking diagnostic help? I don't buy it. In fact that's really my question here..... Why did you buy it? Replacing the engine is probably the least of your concerns.

Last edited by Trippin; 07-19-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

https://www.perfprotech.com/blog/tec...70-replacement.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
When you google merc 470 knocking noise there are a lot of threads and several different possibilities. Might want to have a second opinion or try some of the things yourself.

If the oil pressure is ok when warm it likely is not a bearing.

Ok, thanks!
Old 07-19-2017, 07:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Trippin
Something doesn't smell right here. Newly registered has owned/owns 9 other boats but bought a 38 year old bow rider and is seeking diagnostic help? I don't buy it. In fact that's really my question here..... Why did you buy it? Replacing the engine is probably the least of your concerns.
------------------

Goodness, sounds like a condescending turn for some reason. Let me fill in some blanks..

Mostly all of our boats have outboards. The only inboard we've had is on our 1970 Tollycraft Tollyhome.

The first sailboat we got had a great outboard, but it was stolen at a marina. As we tried to replace it we started our education on outboards, it took us 4 tries to find one that worked and fit. We loved sailing so we decided to move out to the water. We looked for close to a year before we found a 36' Tollycraft Tollyhome with 2 crusader 350 engines.

We did our best for our skill level, I went to work on the interior and removing all traces of 70's panelling and shag carpet and my boyfriend did his best with the engines, changed the impellers, emptied the bad gas, oil change, replaced some hoses. Unfortunately we still had a problem with one engine.

We'd save our money and take it to a fancy mechanic whenever we scraped together a thousand bucks. We were anchored out at this time and got around pretty good with a single engine.

After a couple of years of going back and forth to this mechanic they were finally getting close to resolving the issue then the guy revved the motor so high that it resulted in a broken wrist pin, totaling the engine as far as I understand. also I understand that perhaps this wrist pin may have been ready to break anyway...who knows for sure, regardless, that experience left me a little gun-shy about inboards, and fancy mechanics.

Our first sailboat was a 1968 24' Islander Bahama with four feet of headroom in the cabin. we wanted to renovate our tollyhome so we needed a bigger sailboat to live on while we worked on that. We got a 1964 Columbia 26' sailboat. To earn a little extra money we looked into the airbnb thing for boats and it was great, since we weren't going to let our guests sail we started looking for a stylish but inexpensive runabout that we could take them out in.

We found a gorgeous old 14' runabout with fins and original bench seating. We fell in love despite a soft floor and no engine. After lots of running around and researching compatible engines for our steering wheel set up and transom size etc.. we went with a 2001 Tohatsu outboard that we had to convert to a pulley system for steering. Wow!! Such a blast.

As the floor got softer and softer we started to look for a sturdier body to keep us out on the water while we repaired her floor. We found so a few vintage boats for cheap last winter. We couldn't decide, but when a friend of ours said he'd fix all the outboards, we got a few and decided to see what was up with each one before making our final decision and sell whichever ones we didn't want. Turns out now our friend is too busy to to work on the outboards so we've got a little collection of boats with outboards that may or may not work. No big deal, we're able to store them for now.

Then my boyfriend got injured. So we can't sail or shuffle boats around with ease. We wanted to get a boat that was ready to go in our price range.

Thats when we found the Hammond on craigslist. I had never heard of a Hammond and although it had an inboard the man said it worked great. Given how good the interior looked I was inclined to take a chance on it since there's no way it could look that good unless someone had taken care of it.

We took it to another mechanic, he said it all looks good except we needed to do that alternator convertor thing, needed a new prop, new impeller and rebuild the carb. He made note of a knocking sound but hoped that with good gas the knocking sound would turn out to be no big deal.

So as I try to find out about Hammonds I find this here website OSO with the most Hammond unto. I started an account a few days ago to see if I could determine a few things about changing the interior of the boat and how much the boat might be worth. When I got the boat i fell in love because it was so unique, but I didn't like so much upholstery and wanted to change it. Then I started to research the boat and question if it's a collectors item and worth over $5000 I probably can't afford to keep it and I probably shouldn't change it. If it's not a collectors item then it's probably ok to take all the upholstery off the dashboard, paint all the cushions white and tear up the carpeting and paint the floor. Thats when I started my first question here in the forum.

Then on Monday we got the heart breaking news. The knocking is a rod knock and too much for us to fix. so I started a new thread to ask specifically about replacing the engine or other engine type questions.

Everyone on here has been so informative and helpful, thank you! For the couple of people who aren't being so nice please let me know if you have any other questions. Additionally if I've done something to bring out your snippy side please let me know, I'm happy to apologize.

Last edited by GoldHammond; 07-19-2017 at 07:15 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-19-2017, 07:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wobble
I think you are correct, alternator was built into the balancer, which may be the knock. Good thread on them here 470 mercruiser questions??? - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

If it is a bad motor then I would think there are a ton of options for an upgrade, a straight six would be neat.
Thank you, so many great ideas!
Old 07-19-2017, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

there have been, we think, a couple of people started threads similar to this for no good reason. this doesn't sound like that. collectors item? Nah... Hammond made a name with some very fast outboards. these production runabouts are gonna be better built than some bayliners and renkens, but it still is what it is. there are very few true collector's item boats. and fewer still actually sell for collectors item prices. now, your engine. have YOU heard this knock? repo the boat from the mechanic. take off the engine cover and launch it. have a piece of hose with you. a 3 foot piece of garden hose or heater hose will do. have somebody drive the boat while you or he is sitting next to the engine. any noise? stick hose in 1 ear and start pointing it at everything moving on the front of the engine. then run it up and back the valve cover, the side of engine and the top of the oil pan. and around the flywheel cover. you will know when the hose is pointing at the noise source.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
there have been, we think, a couple of people started threads similar to this for no good reason. this doesn't sound like that. collectors item? Nah... Hammond made a name with some very fast outboards. these production runabouts are gonna be better built than some bayliners and renkens, but it still is what it is. there are very few true collector's item boats. and fewer still actually sell for collectors item prices. now, your engine. have YOU heard this knock? repo the boat from the mechanic. take off the engine cover and launch it. have a piece of hose with you. a 3 foot piece of garden hose or heater hose will do. have somebody drive the boat while you or he is sitting next to the engine. any noise? stick hose in 1 ear and start pointing it at everything moving on the front of the engine. then run it up and back the valve cover, the side of engine and the top of the oil pan. and around the flywheel cover. you will know when the hose is pointing at the noise source.
---------------------------

You're the best! Thank you!

It always takes a while before you figure out the vibe of a particular forum on different websites. This one really threw me. Jeez. I wasn't exactly sure what was being insinuated, but i knew something was so I tried to just address everything, thanks for reading it and understanding.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy

Hi dereknkathy, I posted some photos of our boat on a new thread. If you'd like to take a peek here in the forum it's under the title of: Photos of our 1979 Gold Granada Hammond. Thanks again for everything after that last go round! Haven't had a chance to put her in the water yet, hopefully soon. We found a mechanic that we trust that could look at it, just waiting for his schedule to coordinate with ours. Have a great weekend!