Notices

A Few Startup Questions

Old 07-26-2017, 10:54 PM
Bru
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rak thank you so much for your reply and addressing all of my questions as well as directing me to potential problems that may arise.

Is it possible to add a swim deck/platform to any of these powerboats that I mentioned or similar styles? Looking for something that can extend past the props.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Two styles of swim platform, many are incorporated in the existing hull design so they're sort of 'part of the boat'. The other style is an 'add on' platform usually tubular type and are bolted on to the flat transom of the boat.

Google Cigarette boats or Baja boats, lots of add on platforms there. Look at Donzi or Fountain and they're built in. Scarab and Formula early models were add on but later went with the molded in style. Boarding ladders can be fitted to either type.

There's no right or wrong, just different styles. Remember too, when looking at boats with the incorporated platform, many manufacturers include the platform as part of the length whereas those with bolt on platform measure to the vertical transom which many consider the true length of a boat.

Go and look at some boats, it'll answer so many questions in about 60 seconds!

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 07-26-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:05 PM
Registered

I own a 26' Powerquest Legend. My wife and two daughters have over nighted on it. I think of it more like glorified camping. I'm 6'6" so I know where you are coming from. My wife and I sleep in the V berth and we have a bridge and cushion that convert the couches into a huge bed also. The girls sleep there. There is a swim ladder off the back of the boat and we use it every time out when anchored. My kids can't wait to jump in. We even do some tubing off the back of my boat as well still. It handles the choppy water that kicks up in the Chesapeake bay just fine. Its fun and my kids look forward to doing it. Could we step up in size and get something more comfortable? Of course, but this fits our needs now. I have a small flat screen Tv in the cabin that keeps the kids entertained and a porta potty as well. Dont know if thats what you wanted to hear or not but we have a blast when we go out. Just be realistic and check out a few boats. Over night trips with the kiddos are as fun as you want to make them. We have a blast
Old 07-27-2017, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what you're looking to do I would be on the hunt for a Formula 336, 382 or the Powerquest 34, 38 - All of those boats will have the best headroom for the price range you are looking in along with being great boats for the rough Lake Erie.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

OP,

Are you doing any work in the engine room yourself? Both of what you listed are VERY cramped quarters, engines pinned on top of each other at the centerline. Maybe something else you want to consider.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MINK
For what you're looking to do I would be on the hunt for a Formula 336, 382 or the Powerquest 34, 38 - All of those boats will have the best headroom for the price range you are looking in along with being great boats for the rough Lake Erie.
Along with the above mentioned boats I would also look at Baja 33 outlaw or 342, Powerquest 290 or 340, Formula 311 SR1, 303 SR1, 312 or 353 Fastech. All of these will give you a decent amount of room and twin big blocks. If you are wanting to stay with a singe I would take a look at a Powerquest 280, I would say it has more room that anything in that size range and will run 65-70 with a single 502 or 496.

If your on Facebook look into getting on the powerboat swap shop and passion for powerboats. There are always different boats for sale with many pictures so you would be able to get an idea of what you like. Go look at as many as you can and get a survey before you buy.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:29 PM
Registered

Default Another boat for the price.

You may want to look at a sonic 33, 35, or 38. They have the head room and there are quite a few in your price range. Another all around choice as a famley/ fishing boat would be a 35' contender split console, a bit beamy but all around serves many purposes. It was a 33 Cary copy. Check the boat trader.com.