Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Extended Warranty (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/34889-extended-warranty.html)

Daryl 10-15-2002 07:40 AM

Extended Warranty

I purchased a passport extended warranty and all I hear is bad things about the policy. Was I duped? Or is this a viable company?

candyman35 10-16-2002 12:32 AM

Daryl,
When I was looking to purchase my dealer was pushing the passport also. I would think if the selling dealer plans to service your boat he would want to sell you a plan that will cover you. I'm interested to see what others know of this policy also.
Dan

R Addiction 10-16-2002 09:51 AM

Daryl, Talk to my brother in law Jimmy. I'm pretty sure he bought this warranty for his Baja. Check you're e-mail for his #.

Sydwayz 10-16-2002 12:49 PM

I have a Passport on my 1999 HP500EFI. I have had one problem with the motor; and it wasn't covered. The oil pan was rusting out around the dipstick insert. I guess I can understand that.

baja bailey 10-16-2002 01:26 PM

DARYL

I have the passport on my 502 mag MPI, and I had a idling problem last year. It was a bad IAC valve and some other things, Got it all taken care of at my dealer and only had to pay the deductible, no hassles at all. At least that was my one and only experience so far!

chuckbeecher 10-16-2002 01:28 PM

Sydwayz- How come the factory corrosion warrant(3yrs) didn't cover it? I had Gills that leaked and ran down the side of block and down pan s and caused the pans to rust through and Mercury sent new exhaust and oil pans. And this ha[ppened during the end of the 3rd years. These were on 502/465's!

Sydwayz 10-16-2002 01:42 PM

You got me Chuck. I will bring this up to OP when I see them next. Thanks for rasing my eyebrow. I did not have the pan replaced, just had the joint re-sealed.

Mark in So. MD 10-17-2002 10:29 AM

three good friends of mine have had that warranty and it has never worked for them.

one the gimble bearing failed, not covered
one a rod broke, not covered
one had exaust problems getting water in the engine, not covered

All sold by the same dealer here in MD(not offshore perf. but down a few blocks from them), all three times the dealer said it covers everything after the Merc warranty runs out, and that dealer stressed everything(engine and drive)

One of these guys still had a lawsuit against the dealer for this.

baja bailey, more power to you getting yours fixed, but i would like to know how you got their 11 page policy that basically excludes everything.

baja bailey 10-18-2002 09:50 AM

Mark in So. MD

The only policy I have is the book that came with the passport warranty. It says what is and isn't covered. Basically (supposed to) cover most everything? It is a rather long list, if anyone would like to see it, I could put it on the board? Talked to my father-in-law yesterday to see if he had any trouble using his passport warranty earlier in the year when his module in his distributor went out twice this year. Same dealer worked on his as does mine, he said no problem either time, just paid deductible. Sorry to hear some people are having trouble with it, maybe I have been lucky so far?:confused:

Vyper340 10-20-2002 07:31 AM

I had one before and it covered NOTHING. If you read the list of items it is pretty inclusive and they are covered well (better than your boat)!

Here's anoyther thought; they would not be in the business of offering the extended warranty if they lost money by paying claims....

I spent about $1200 on mine for my old 26 Scarab and it did not cover one single thing (inlcuding an electrical issue that should have been covered). I would have been better off saving the $1200 up front and using it for broken items later down the road.

I won't purchase another one!