Notices

Skater "Rebuild" Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why the combo of Garmin and Simrad? Is it because Simrad makes the vessel view for Mercury and you will use those two screens mainly for the engines? Are you sticking with the 300x's? Sweet project. Owning a Skater, not a cat but a Skater is also on my wish list for future boats!
Old 08-13-2017, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 418 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
Why the combo of Garmin and Simrad? Is it because Simrad makes the vessel view for Mercury and you will use those two screens mainly for the engines? Are you sticking with the 300x's? Sweet project. Owning a Skater, not a cat but a Skater is also on my wish list for future boats!
Simrad and Mercury worked hand and hand in developing the vessel view. The Garmin connects better to the black box stereo system and will connect better with phones, iPads, etc. I also had an opportunity to buy the Simrads "right". That said, Ron Muller at Electronics unlimited also had great pricing on the Garmin, the backbone cabling, and the Mercury interface. We are sticking with the 2003 x's with the "racing" ecm's as there is only 30 hours on rebuilds and 300 hours total time. They do not get the mileage, but they sound better. Instead of buying new and re-rigging, it just makes sense. Besides, they sound cool and have less to go wrong and less expensive repairs.

i am looking forward to getting it on the water to see how the new windshield works out. I am certain that it will keep the wind from blowing our faces off, but I am also hoping that maybe some additional downforce will make it more stable. Like I said before, I am not looking for 120mph, as much as I look forward to dropping it off the lift and rolling to breakfast at 85mph. I have allot to learn and will proceed slowly with it.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 216 Likes on 74 Posts

very cool!!

Does Jim offer various styles bends etc for different looks? or only a basic shape to fit the receiver?
Old 08-13-2017, 09:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 315duramax
very cool!!
Does Jim offer various styles bends etc for different looks? or only a basic shape to fit the receiver?
I do not really know for certain but I bet that Lee Aerospace has a bunch of different ones available. A receiver could be made to fit just about any setup that you wanted. We purchased one, but after doing one I think that it would not be that much bigger job just to build it in. Jim posted something to this thread. Roll back to it and PM him.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:06 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the updates...keep up the good work.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 67 Posts

Great project. Make sure you get lower unit seals from Todd DeFillips at Wicked Powerboats in Florida. 3.0 lowers like to ingest water and Todd's billet seals keep your lower units alive.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:05 PM
ben
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome build! Cant wait to see it at the street party!
Old 09-12-2018, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

Any updates? Do you have it all sorted out now?
Old 09-12-2018, 10:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tiki Joe
Any updates? Do you have it all sorted out now?
When we missed the Shootout Street Party last year I was pretty disappointed. I knew that the timeline was aggressive for what we were doing, but nonetheless it was a bummer. This spring we got to working on it again and had to get through a bunch of electronic gremlins with the Garmin and Simrad’s. We got it sorted out and put about 150miles on it Shootout week, including Friday’s poker run. The boat runs hard and I am very happy that it is now sitting on the lift, ready to go at any time!
Old 09-12-2018, 11:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Dam-to-Dam-to-Dam boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.