Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Reggie Fountain Talks Kilo Record, Returning to the Brand and More >

Reggie Fountain Talks Kilo Record, Returning to the Brand and More

Notices

Reggie Fountain Talks Kilo Record, Returning to the Brand and More

Old 08-09-2017, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Rodney says: "Can't we all just get along?" Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but haters be hating. I love my Cigarette, but I am mature enough to admit that there are a lot of great other brands running out there. Reggie's contributions to our pastime can not be denied, anyone suggesting otherwise is not being honest. He has a giant ego, has demonstrated a lack of prudent business practices, has made some enemies, and has made and lost a significant pile of money, all true. But Reggie is still alive after 40+ years racing, testing,pushing the envelope and proving advances in v hull performance, and that alone is a significant achievement. At 77 years of age and still with a competitive itch, God Bless him! The publicity generated by this announcement has already stoked up this forum, so Reggie is well on the way to a PR coup. As for ethics or a lack thereof, Don Arronow was a master at deception, building "Blue Thunder" cats for the government that were markedly slower than advertised, while still producing fast boats for the " twilight runners". The Kramer's over at Apache were notorious bad guys, with alleged ties to organized crime and drug dealings. There are other examples of unsavory and opportunistic players involved in this business, but you get the point.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaDan
Guess you missed Reggie admitting in a video interview that he wished he had taken his parents advise and "set some money aside for a rainy day". He made his own bed, now lay in it.
Can you comprehend that the numerous owners of Fountain since 2010 have not produced even one 42 Lightning since Reggie filed for BK? Not one 42 Executioner, no 47's, no 35's, no 32's, no 29s or 27s -just one 38 Lightning and that thing is still for sale, and one 29 race boat - in seven freaking years. Rainy day fund or not since the financial collapse there has been no market for production sport boats - the business that Reggie was in. No one could have survived going from producing and selling 550 boats a year to just a handful over many years even if they had a rainy day fund - or even a rainy decade fund. It's a really really big factory - ever been to it?

Plain and simple you are a Reggie hater - good luck hating on a legend.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's cool that they are making a comeback. Does anyone think the fountain lineup maybe needs an update or facelift? i don't in any way mean this is a slam against the boats but cig, OL, hustler, has really evolved its product over the years. I don't know if there would be a big line to buy new fountains at a premium in 2018 if they bring back the exact boat they quit building close to 10 years ago. Thoughts ?
Old 08-09-2017, 06:24 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Hustler40
Does anyone think the fountain lineup maybe needs an update or facelift?
I though that 10 years ago.

IMO, this industry shot itself in the foot when they stopped making $70,000 boats in the 28' range and now they cost $130,000. It's sh!t. The average buyer is now a big earner for new boats. I have no desire to get into a long term loan to get into a boat, but writing a check for on well over $100k is not on my financial priority list. I got into my 2002 28' Nordic brand new custom ordered for $60k. No I don't expect it to still be $60k but $120 for that boat is absurd and a waste of money. Reggie can hit 400 mph and it won't bring back a broken market, but I'll follow it with keen interest.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

I think the real testament to Fountain over OL is the fact that 8-10 year old race boats are still beating up badly on a brand new OL!!
Old 08-09-2017, 07:54 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

I respect Reggie and will always treasure my first race and having him present me with the trophy for winning....IN A CAT.

His contributions to our sport are well documented and his reputation is deserved, for better or worse. The accolades speak for themselves.

Of course, all that doesn't stop us from enjoying some fun at his expense occasionally.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reggie definitely figured the art of making a Vee bottom faster then the rest of the fleet in any given day on any race course.
I'll never forget something he told me many yrs ago when I raced for team Fountain. He said for ever million I make I spend Two racing, learning and progressing my boats. He is one of the most dedicated and knowledgeable boat builders I ever met.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:45 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
I respect Reggie and will always treasure my first race and having him present me with the trophy for winning....IN A CAT.

His contributions to our sport are well documented and his reputation is deserved, for better or worse. The accolades speak for themselves.

Of course, all that doesn't stop us from enjoying some fun at his expense occasionally.
Well said!
Old 08-09-2017, 09:39 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Just throwing this out there, they should bring the kilo boats to loto. I would be curious to see what they do. Didn't Sgro's boat that ran the 181 kilo do 152 in a mile?
Old 08-09-2017, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont believe the kilo boat of Joe's has ever done the shootout style event. Another full pleasure boat 43 with 1350's has run 150 at the shootout.
Joe's 43 with 1650's would be a lot quicker than that in the mile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.