Blown Out Windshield - 353 Fastech

Notices

Blown Out Windshield - 353 Fastech

Old 08-17-2017, 08:08 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
You aren't kidding. A few years ago in a relatively minor hurricane I was shocked at the way the water picked up rocks from a sea wall and redistributed them into my neighbors living room.

Glad youre okay.
Well, we now know that Hurricane's political affiliation.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt, is there any difference in the structure of the standard windshield frame vs the stainless one Formula offers on some boats? Just a thought...
Old 08-17-2017, 01:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Well, we now know that Hurricane's political affiliation.
brian,

i had to read that 3 times before I got it. You need to dumb your jokes down for me......
Old 08-17-2017, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Apexwarrior
For those of you with a Fastech -

I think what might have happened is the frame flexed, causing the panes to bend inward like a a deck of cards would if you tried to shoot them across a room. I get the deign aesthetics of the wrap windshield with no support, but it seems to me that the frame needs a support at the center to avoid flex. Especially if you think about how you get on the bow from the cockpit. You step on a storage compartment, then the glove box and then over the windshield, while you put your hands on the frame. Hundreds of reps may have loosened it. I'm going to look into fabricating a strut that bolts into the top of the dash and then the frame.

On the other hand, the power of water is awe inspiring and perhaps nothing could prevent this.
Sorry about your incident, did that run with KellyO a few years ago and that lake can get downright nasty.

Take a look at some of the newer Fountains with the full curved windshield, there is a center support leg that you might be able to adapt to your Formula. Fountain used several different sizes based on the height of the windshield. My 35 Lightning has the taller windshield and I would think it is similar in height to the one on your boat. If a picture is of help do not hesitate to ask, be glad to help.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:38 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Ragged. Please post a picture.That would be helpful. Performance Marine is going to do the repair, so I'll ask Jason about it. I'm going to look into stainless vs.the standard windshield as well. Working with the insurance company, but it's like molasses..
Old 08-18-2017, 06:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Hard part for the support is the cabin door, Fountain has the door to port side with solid dash in center...
Old 08-18-2017, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Sorry to hear of your mis-fortune and glad to hear everyone is ok.

used to have a 292 and honestly was never impressed with the construction of the windshield. It was always flexing and getting bounced around in decent water. Another area to be considerate of is the rear attachment location. On our boat the screws constantly sheared from flexing and movement. I'd be mindful of it when getting the work done.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I have never had any issue whatsoever with the WS on my 353. Solid as a rock.
I do check the frame top screws every now and then over 14 years and have seldom gotten anything on them
Though the closest I've come to stuffing is a few inches rolling up the deck in Lake Ontario
I've been out when the trough is so deep I can't see over standing and I'm 6'5"
I have actually been quite impressed, when operated reasonably, how seaworthy it is.