2017 LOTO Shootout/Supercat Fest - P H O T O S >

2017 LOTO Shootout/Supercat Fest - P H O T O S

Notices

2017 LOTO Shootout/Supercat Fest - P H O T O S

Old 08-30-2017, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Skater30
Howard's 46 was sold to a guy in Georgia about a year and a half ago. I'd heard they hurt the motor when they first started running the boat, but I'd imagine they repaired the engine and left the boat as it was. That is a very special rig that Howard spent thousands of hours dialing-in, I'm quite certain they haven't changed it much. That boat (and his 40) was way ahead of it's time. Howard is truly the godfather of turbine powered offshore boats.
Dale, where's the intake for the turbine? I don't ever see it in any of the photos.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 08-30-2017, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Dale, where's the intake for the turbine? I don't ever see it in any of the photos.
The output shaft is located at the cold section on the T-55 gas turbine, which places the air intake at the transom. You can see it with the screen encompassing it at the rear in the pics of the engine.When the deck hatch is down, it ends up being right under that black cover at the very back of the hatch - that's also why the hatch is cut out in that large elliptical shape at the rear, to let LOTS of air in.
Attached Thumbnails 2017 LOTO Shootout/Supercat Fest - P H O T O S-a1.jpeg   2017 LOTO Shootout/Supercat Fest - P H O T O S-a2.jpeg   2017 LOTO Shootout/Supercat Fest - P H O T O S-img_1907-x3.jpg  

Old 08-30-2017, 10:11 PM
Registered

The output shaft is located at the cold section on the T-55 gas turbine, which places the air intake at the transom. You can see it with the screen encompassing it at the rear in the pics of the engine.When the deck hatch is down, it ends up being right under that black cover at the very back of the hatch - that's also why the hatch is cut out in that large elliptical shape at the rear, to let LOTS of air in.
Damn! That's a trip. I always presumed turbines needed direct air intake like a turbo or like a scoop provides for blowers, etc. interesting. Thanks for the lesson.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Damn! That's a trip. I always presumed turbines needed direct air intake like a turbo or like a scoop provides for blowers, etc. interesting. Thanks for the lesson.
If you're interested at all Tank, you can just Google "gas turbine engines" and find all kinds of informative cutaways of how they work and the different types. With Mercury's turbo line of consumer engines from 1,100-1,750hp, I don't think we're going to be seeing a lot more turbine boats being built - there's only one left back at Skater right now (and it's been in the works for a LONG time now). I'm sure glad I was able to spend the time I did in Howard's 4,600hp beast though!
Attached Thumbnails 2017 LOTO Shootout/Supercat Fest - P H O T O S-t-55.png  
Old 08-30-2017, 11:57 PM
Registered

If you're interested at all Tank, you can just Google "gas turbine engines" and find all kinds of informative cutaways of how they work and the different types. With Mercury's turbo line of consumer engines from 1,100-1,750hp, I don't think we're going to be seeing a lot more turbine boats being built - there's only one left back at Skater right now (and it's been in the works for a LONG time now). I'm sure glad I was able to spend the time I did in Howard's 4,600hp beast though!
Thanks Dale, I have a pretty good grasp on how they operate, I just always thought they had to have a forward facing inlet for the air (like a plane engine) and thought it was weird Arneson's Skater doesn't. I knew a really good guy that was really good friends with Howard for a long time. He always spoke very highly of him.

And I agree, the turbo line has changed the game for real. Though, turbo cats will always have that "holy f*ck" factor LOL. Chengs new (redone) 46 Turbine is just insane.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 08-31-2017, 10:53 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default Redhead Lakeside Grill at Performance Boat Center

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 08-31-2017, 11:03 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 08-31-2017, 11:09 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.