Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Can I start my engine dry? (out of the water) >

Can I start my engine dry? (out of the water)

Notices

Can I start my engine dry? (out of the water)

Old 09-04-2017, 08:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts
Default Can I start my engine dry? (out of the water)

I don't use my boat very often and always worry about flat batteries. Volt gauge is only an indicator, the only way I know for sure my engine will start is by hitting the switch.

Can I start it totally dry (no hose) and run for a 4-5 seconds just to be satisfied it will fire up when she goes down the ramp? How long is it ok to run before damaging the impeller, water pump and anything else.
It's a 496HO with Bravo One X sterndrive.

(I know a battery charger would solve the problem but where I store the boat, I can't hook up to mains power)

Thank for any answers,
RR
Old 09-04-2017, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I would say no. Dry impellers can be ruined in short order. I've heard people say they have done it. That's a chance I'm not willing to take. Lol
Old 09-04-2017, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have a separate water pump belt from alternator belt, you could leave pump belt off. Let engine fire and give the alternator 10 seconds to replace the electricity you burned starting it. It entails a few minutes doing belt R&R, but spinning a dry impeller is a bad idea. If it is serpentine belt and you pull it, you don't get the quick recharge. Maybe buy a jump box and bring it to the boat fully charged?
Old 09-04-2017, 09:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

That's something like what I expected to read, thank you.
Jumper box vs dual batteries was another thread I started. I went with dual batteries - and still worry she may fail on 'boating day'. I just don't use it often enough....

RR
Old 09-04-2017, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I always crank it till the motor catches before going to the launch. less than 1 second of run time. No issues with the impeller-
Old 09-04-2017, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
That's something like what I expected to read, thank you.
Jumper box vs dual batteries was another thread I started. I went with dual batteries - and still worry she may fail on 'boating day'. I just don't use it often enough....

RR
Going with dual batteries was a smart thing to do . Personally I'd never start the engine dry unless you had somehow disabled the water pump . Is your boat stored in such a way that a small solar panel battery charger could be utilized ? (That's a subtle reference , I didn't want to ask , 'Is your nice new boat outside in the scorching sun all the time ?' )
Also on another thread I spoke of the importance of making sure that your Mercathode was also disabled if the boat is out of the water . I'm sure that some are rigged so that when the power switches are 'off' the cathode is off as well but many boats (like mine) have the thing hard wired to the battery so that when the boat is in the water it's always active. You'd be amazed the drain that that thing can have on the battery after 2 weeks . The first thing I do when the thing comes of of the water is to pull the fuse on the Mercathode.

Last edited by madbouyz; 09-04-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Solar charger or take one battery home and put on charger.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I know people that start it before launching but I figure I am not that lucky. LOL
Just back the trailer in deep enough to get water and start it up on the trailer. If for some strange reason your battery is dead....just pull it back up. Also check your battery voltage gauge before launching. Should be some where near 12 volts.

Padraig
Old 09-04-2017, 10:38 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

IF you have a fresh water flush connection that goes directly to the sea water pump, you could do this while "rural" with a winterization jug setup and 5 gallons of water.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

You boat in Salt water do you not? then you should have a flush setup. Run water to that and you can start it all you want. If your running a high idle to charge just keep an eye on it. hose pressure will run the motor all day long but does not supply the volume of water needed to run significant rpm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.