Notices

Key west races

Old 09-12-2017, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
They made it happen after Andrew - S. Florida was a wreck but the show went on. I remember riding a scooter off of Duvall and all the houses had appliances and furniture on the sidewalks for pick up. I distinctly remember flying into Miami and looking down and every 5th house had tarps over their roofs and/or major roof damage. KW specifically pulled together to make sure the races / poker run happened. The event brings in like 5-8 million for the area so the city really pushes to make sure it happens. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out but I'd be surprised if it's cancelled.
I raced in Ft Lauderdale after Andrew then went thru Homestead on US1 to KW. Looked like a bomb went off and National Guard was everywhere. I have flights condo and a boat booked. I figure if it's on we should go and help the local economy out. I have a friend with a couple of houses in KW that may need some help or may do a few day trips up the keys to see if I can help someone out.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 3,019 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by skate
I raced in Ft Lauderdale after Andrew then went thru Homestead on US1 to KW. Looked like a bomb went off and National Guard was everywhere. I have flights condo and a boat booked. I figure if it's on we should go and help the local economy out. I have a friend with a couple of houses in KW that may need some help or may do a few day trips up the keys to see if I can help someone out.
We're booked. As long as the house we rented off of Duvall is livable, we'll be there, race/poker run or not - love key west either way, will gladly dump money into their economy, especially after this storm.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Florida Keys Temporarily Closed to Visitors as Infrastructure Evaluation and Repairs Begin

Click on link

Last edited by hustlerguy; 09-12-2017 at 08:39 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-13-2017, 05:36 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

they should change the race format. Miami to Cudjoe key, but you have to fill your boat with construction materials and food...
Old 09-13-2017, 06:25 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 592 Likes on 272 Posts

Good to see all the bridges survived. Best of luck to the Locals during the rebuild!
Old 09-13-2017, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the following info is correct doesn't sound like they would cancel the races
seeing as its after Fantasy Fest.
__________________________________________________ __________
The Florida Department of Transportation has inspected all spans on the Florida Keys Overseas Highway and deemed them safe. A few locations of the highway are being repaired due to storm surge and those repairs should be completed by Thursday.
Key West city officials expect their island will open by Fantasy Fest, the annual costume and masking festival that is set to start Friday, Oct. 20.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
If the following info is correct doesn't sound like they would cancel the races
seeing as its after Fantasy Fest.
__________________________________________________ __________
The Florida Department of Transportation has inspected all spans on the Florida Keys Overseas Highway and deemed them safe. A few locations of the highway are being repaired due to storm surge and those repairs should be completed by Thursday.
Key West city officials expect their island will open by Fantasy Fest, the annual costume and masking festival that is set to start Friday, Oct. 20.
Exactly what I was thinking. Fantasy fest rivals if not surpasses the worlds / poker run as far as influx of people into KW. They expect to be ready for FF....Worlds / Poker Run will be fine.

"Some areas of the Keys are likely to be ready to accommodate visitors before others. An exact reopening date for all regions is not yet known, but Key West city officials expect their island will open by Fantasy Fest, the annual costume and masking festival that is set to start Friday, Oct. 20."
Old 09-13-2017, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
We're booked. As long as the house we rented off of Duvall is livable, we'll be there, race/poker run or not - love key west either way, will gladly dump money into their economy, especially after this storm.
​​​​​​

Is too, booked, going as long as it is not cancelled and probably going anyway since we will mostly be on Duvall St anyway.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

My wife has wanted to go to Key West for years as she's never been. I won't cancel even if the races are moved as long as establishments are open and everything is as close to normal as it can be given the circumstances. I just don't want her first trip down to be a huge letdown because the place is a stinking pile of garbage and debris. As stated above, they could use our tourist $$$'s now more than ever. Got a friend that goes yearly to FF so I can get a firsthand account before deciding whether or not to cancel. This of course assumes FF goes off as planned.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bigboat28
​​​​​​

Is too, booked, going as long as it is not cancelled and probably going anyway since we will mostly be on Duvall St anyway.
Seems we don't move from Ricks Tree Bar the whole weekend!! LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.