Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
found this: 38 cougar with 2 sets of motors etc.. >

found this: 38 cougar with 2 sets of motors etc..

Notices

found this: 38 cougar with 2 sets of motors etc..

Old 10-18-2002, 08:00 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Boatless:

I'm not living in the 80's, I'm living in the 60's. But most of the speed techniques that are being "introduced" today actually originated in the 30's............

The last time I flew over an Arneson equipped race boat was 2001.......it still wandered and bow steered. I have driven many of the surface driven boats and never felt stable.

I am a Mercury OUTBOARD guy to the bone......I don't see how that makes me a man..... My Avatar and user name told you that.....long before your demand ......but as I said....you can't read.

I don't dislike Arneson drives so much as I prefer true trimmable stern drives. The racers using surface drives today primarily use fixed drives............If the trimmable steerable ones were better....they would use them instead.......They don't for a good reason......... Look up Rube Goldberg in your encyclopedia.

When we built custom surface drives for the 4 engine Jesse James 48 footer in (gasp) 1987........they were fixed...with a rudder.......in spite of the fact that we could have spec'd Arnesons for a lot less effort.....by the way Howard Arneson (a real bright guy and a gentleman) designed his drives in 1980.....obviously before your time........and 7 years before Fred Kiekhaefer designed what is today the #6 Drive ( It was originally the "K" drive prior to the purchase of Kiekhaefer Aeromarine by Mercury........but you knew that)

Honker Cut with Arnesons was an uncompetitive, nasty boat.
Having been an announcer on Speedvision for years, I can assure you that every boat is presented in the best light, true criticisms were/are never introduced. If, for instance, a boat is 2 laps behind the leader......it is described as "fighting for the lead in a close second place". If Honker Cut averaged (and it did)in a POPBRA event....oh......20 mph less than a competitive Super Cat in a comparable National race.... You would never hear that. Those shows are edited weeks after the event and a spin is put on them based on 20/20 hindsight. If you had attended many of those events you would realise that most of them were nothing more than parades with vast distances separating the boats....and it becomes an "editing" challenge to create drama, talent and performance.

FYI........ in many cases "Here's boat number PZ-589....... WoW!....Look at those guys go!" actually means "Hooray, we finally found somebody on plane.".....especially in the regional telecasts.

Come to think of it, since my voice, at times, carried those silly messages, I apologise for misleading the general public. But what the heck , I got paid and it seemed to make the racers happy

T2x
Old 10-18-2002, 08:06 AM
jb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great info T2x. Its always a pleasure reading you text!
Old 10-18-2002, 08:47 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

One final thought.

Objectivity and Cynicism are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

T2x
Old 10-18-2002, 08:55 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I worked on that boat with Erroll Lanier at Lake X right before the Point Pleasant race in 91-92 era at that time it had 5 drives on it instead of Arnesons.....Sean
Old 10-18-2002, 09:03 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ApachePete
Boatless is also dickless.

Honker Cut was the worst running Skater in history.

Wonder why?

Did you see the great video of their deadly stuff?

Name ONE Anrneson boat that was ever competitive for more than a short drag-race.
Apache Pete I think the Excalibur boat owned and driven by Bob Kaiser and throttled by Erroll Lanier had Arnesons on it but I believe that was before MERCURY had the 6 drive and it had the new super wazoo 5 drive with the McClaren turbo engines and they turned the 5 to rubber in a matter of minutes at Lake X....anyway point being he was fast until he broke mostly engine stuff but I do not know how it handled overall...personally I like the fixed trimmable drive with a rudder or trimmable stern drive.

but thats just me I who also thinks that the old Apaches should still race in sometype of class be it vintage or what......Sean
Old 10-18-2002, 11:53 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

T2x . . you brought up somthing i had wondered about. i thought i saw an add long time ago of the drive that is now the merc #6 drive and it was being sold by Kiekhaefer but wasnt sure if my memory was correct. was that the one that was also called the "gorilla" drive. i seem to remember that from an add too. thanks.

by the way, what year did Kiekhaefer introduce the drive anyway.

sean- a vintage class would be cool. i would love to see these old wave crushers run'in.

Last edited by glassdave; 10-18-2002 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Kaiser

Yes, he was VERY fast: we raced against him for 2 years.

But that's my point: very fast in a "drag race/straight line," but not a consistent winner, for a variety of mechanical reasons.

The fault of the drives? I don't know, but I didn't see other guys with unlimited budgets (Joe Mach) putting them on their new boats . . . and those boats actually finished and WON.

Look at some of the old NNRT tapes pf the races that Systems ran in, and you'll see what Rich means when he talks about a boat being all over the place and bow steering (eg, Coco Beach 1991). In fact, Rich was the announcer.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by glassdave
T2x . . you brought up somthing i had wondered about. i thought i saw an add long time ago of the drive that is now the merc #6 drive and it was being sold by Kiekhaefer but wasnt sure if my memory was correct. was that the one that was also called the "gorilla" drive. i seem to remember that from an add too. thanks.

by the way, what year did Kiekhaefer introduce the drive anyway.

sean- a vintage class would be cool. i would love to see these old wave crushers run'in.
kiekhafer made what is now the # 6.........late 87 early 88 i think
Old 10-18-2002, 06:08 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mr. Luhrs, the Honker Cut Marine boat in 2001' was a Mercury Powered 36' Skater with SSM#6 Drives that ran in the National race.
Old 10-18-2002, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that honker cut marine was acutually the fountain 36. That was after they flipped the arenson drive boat.

I think !!!!

Quick Reply: found this: 38 cougar with 2 sets of motors etc..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.