Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Towing Hustler 900miles w/ cockpit cover,What tape U using?? >

Towing Hustler 900miles w/ cockpit cover,What tape U using??

Notices

Towing Hustler 900miles w/ cockpit cover,What tape U using??

Old 09-27-2017, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Revd. Short distances, no cover. I don't trust the cockpit cover. For long distances, I have a full travel cover. Really expensive, but they're great for cross county hauls. Clean the boat, cover it, and then pull the cover off at your destination and its in perfect shape.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:23 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

. I've towed tens of thousands of miles and I never tow without a cover. I use shrink wrap tape and have never had an issue. Except when my buddy missed snapping a bunch of snaps at the base of the windshield, but that's another story...

I use 4" wide tape, tape all the way around the cowl, the entire transom and any place on the side where air can get under it.Also,you must tape when its dry and do not leave it on in direct sunlight more than a day, as the glue then becomes hard to get off.Running is ok,sitting in the sun where it gets very hot is the issue.

I'd much rather deal with the tape then a dirty and exposed interior.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by TxHawk
Never an issue as long as you have the "flop" out of it. I stacked towels in some areas to take out the slack. Then used the wide shrink wrap tape around all of the edges to keep the air out.

Good luck.
I remember it vividly...you did a nice job!
Old 09-28-2017, 08:48 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Put a towel over your bolster tops, or wherever cover touches the vinyl interior, ESPECIALLY if there is a seam of the cover that touches the interior.

Much better than a towel for your windscreen/windshield top edge:
Pipe insulation foam from Home Depot or Lowes or the like. If you get the kind that has adhesive along the slit, just pull the adhesive completely off both sides of the foam. It comes off easily.

Towing Hustler 900miles w/ cockpit cover,What tape U using??-61ysmunvf1l._sl1000_.jpg

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-28-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:03 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

The foam on windscreen is good idea,

I called 3M they said there green painters tape has the highest adhesive,He said it was higher than there blue tape, he said Most of the blue tape has a easier release because it made for latex home paints,as to not peal the paint off. I tested the yellow,didnt feel like it was adhering much,3m said duck tape would work, not sure I wana try that on the paint just yet

Im going to start out with the cover tapped, ill have 3-4 hours of day light travel, see how it does,want be able to see it when running in the dark, .theres no chance of rain,

like youall said Im going to cover the upholstery,space up the cover with towels,make sure its not flapping, i marked it last night where the head rest touched the cover.

Thanks for all the help

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Towing Hustler 900miles w/ cockpit cover,What tape U using??-img_7716.jpg   Towing Hustler 900miles w/ cockpit cover,What tape U using??-img_7713.jpg   Towing Hustler 900miles w/ cockpit cover,What tape U using??-img_7718.jpg  

Towing Hustler 900miles w/ cockpit cover,What tape U using??-img_7720.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 09-28-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I would not use Duct (Duck) Tape. Too much adhesion.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I towed my boat form Florida to Michigan with a cockpit cover and no tape. I had the poles in place and the cover was very tight so it had zero flap in the wind. I had no issues whatsoever.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

had good luck with 3m exterior safe release. covered up the holes in transom, sticks good, can wash the boat and peels off w/ almost no residue after being on a year.
i bought some peel and stick 3 ft. X 5 ft. that can be cut and placed on the underside of the canvas to beef it up around the fairing cleats etc. but haven't used it yet.

peel-and-stick-patch.html
Old 09-30-2017, 09:53 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Well it made it to Michigan no problems.800+ miles I put the yellow tape on the boat around all the screws,ran a line where the snaps and cover webing/welton is so it would not chaf paint or if a snap came loose, yellow has less adhesive. I used the green tape all around the top side, 4-5 rows across front 2 on sides. it held pretty good, some was little loose on the covers top edge,but still attached.The towels on the head rest did not stay, but the cover was new/never used, so it stretched, it was a sob to button before, get snapped, thats good though, I know when you trailer with cover the snaps get loose over time,also the snap in the canvas looses too.

I will defiantly tape the boat around the screws,snaps in boat when trailering w/ cover.

I prob need ck into the shrinkwraping on the return trip, not sure about w/ the paint being new though,,I also wana ck into the other wider tapes you all suggested. I know I will make sure there's no chance of rain when i pick it up.too.

Other thing think about is if its a older cover it will be more porious,lint that will hender the tape sticking as good.

1 note ill ad, my full cover was made for trailering,w/ bungee tie downs that has the brass eyelets/grommets to hook, they will eat paint, I use it in my boat slip,storm wind got up eat some white off abover rub rail,Im going to change out all the brass eyelets sow in a small loop strap,this will solve the brass to paint prob.

What else do you all to your boats to protect it from the miles on the road? i ducktaped my exhaust tips,so nothing get in there,ducktaped the prop shaft so if something bumped it when in a shop,hatch and side engine vents,throttle body/air inlet.

Hey thanks everybody for all the help.

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 592 Likes on 272 Posts

I get the carpet cover material stuff from HD and put in on the front of the boat. It is put down on carpet for construction or what ever when moving things in and out.
I Don't let it sit too long and you will still have a little adhesive to remove, but kind of like a clear bra on the bow of the boat.