Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Brokered Boat sale gone bad >

Brokered Boat sale gone bad

Notices

Brokered Boat sale gone bad

Old 09-28-2017, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

look at scan though. 225 hrs idle. 150 hrs between 1500 and 3000 25 hrs over 4000. 1 hr at full throttle. or something pretty close to that. if that is worst he is hiding, might be worth overlooking and twisting his arm for some money back. no small claims court, no bureaucracies, just give me back some of the dinero. also what engine? 415hp 502 is one thing. something blue may be whole nother issue...

Last edited by dereknkathy; 09-28-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,038 Likes on 1,352 Posts

post the brokers ad for the boat
Old 09-28-2017, 04:50 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

one thing possible ECMs swapped out ? then those would have the hours from the engines they came off of. Just saying and not saying this is the exact case. for the engines in question here.

Impossible for the marine scan tool to completely ease the engines hours wiping out the history totally.

Who did the survey without a scan of the engines ? I think that was poor on their part for an EFI engine and would have to ask about the buyer - did he request scans - if not that would be on him ( the buyer ) as I have no idea in the world why someone would buy a EFI marine boat / engine without a complete scan and print out.

Also asking just in case - did he pay to have the engines scanned ?

If so then that's your recourse .

Last edited by BUP; 09-28-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 414 Likes on 244 Posts

Wouldn't the scans just show totaled hours (possibly hours at different rpms)on the engine without knowing the engine was or wasn't rebuilt? IMO scanning the ecu wouldn't show if the engines were rebuilt or not. That doesn't change the fact the the factory seals are still on the engine.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:44 PM
BUP
Banned

I am taking it as when it got home they scanned the engines to find out they had 510 and 515 hours on never touched engines and surprised also the engines has that much time on them.

Maybe I should ask how much total time was told the engines to have on them when advertised and by the surveyor ?
Old 09-28-2017, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

The hour meters in the engine bay read ~160hrs when purchased, my friend has screen shots of the ad and they are also in the PDF the surveyor provided, they correlate...was advertised that they had 160 on refresh! Both motors are also leaking in the bilge. BUP, scans really do not mean **** when the motors supposedly had 160 on rebuild.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:18 PM
BUP
Banned

I thought the buyer had no idea there was 510 and 515 hours on the engines until the boat got to his place and scanned then after his purchase.

Does the past owner or broker have the maintenance and rebuild receipts to back anything up ? How about a name of the rebuilder or machine work involved ? How about parts buying receipts ?

if the owner and or broker have nothing to back this info up - I would think that's your recourse especially if it was advertised about rebuilds and so forth of what was done but not..

Correct no scan tool could ever tell when an engine was rebuilt. I am not saying it could to clarify. . There is much more to a scan than hours plus the testing one can do. Fuel injector balance tests, fuel injector pulse width in msec is just a couple of examples. Map volts or kPa readings is another good parameter to monitor and so on.

Last edited by BUP; 09-28-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 472 Posts

He bought the boat understanding it was 165 hours on rebuilds. Did he ask how many hours total?

Surveyor should have scanned the total hours (like you did when the boat came home) was he independently chosen by you or was he recommended by the selling dealer? That may be a way to lay some blame back on the dealer.

No idea about the original bolts untouched, sorry.

RR
Old 09-29-2017, 01:09 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
Can you give us the location-description of these GM tamper-evident bolts? I usually read month-year off main bearings but gotta dig a lil deeper to get them...
There are small holes drilled through crank pulley bolts and intake manifold bolts.
There is a piece of wire that goes through the holes and then the ends are connected with a piece of lead that is stamped.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:49 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
I thought the buyer had no idea there was 510 and 515 hours on the engines until the boat got to his place and scanned then after his purchase.

Does the past owner or broker have the maintenance and rebuild receipts to back anything up ? How about a name of the rebuilder or machine work involved ? How about parts buying receipts ?

if the owner and or broker have nothing to back this info up - I would think that's your recourse especially if it was advertised about rebuilds and so forth of what was done but not..

Correct no scan tool could ever tell when an engine was rebuilt. I am not saying it could to clarify. . There is much more to a scan than hours plus the testing one can do. Fuel injector balance tests, fuel injector pulse width in msec is just a couple of examples. Map volts or kPa readings is another good parameter to monitor and so on.

He did not care about the hours on the ECMs as he was told the the gauges were replaced when the motors were refreshed. I am assuming scans were not in the survey, he has a PDF of them I will look at tonight, pretty piss poor for a surveyor to not have that done. I would have thought that would have been automatic on any EFI survey. Even if the scans were done, it was advertised with the 160 on refresh, my point being they really dont mean much at that point. The condition of the boat is flawless with the exception of some loose trim in the cabin, with Mitcher T paint and XT innovations interior it is a nice package and would actually pass for a very low hour boat.

At this point the owner has contacted the surveyor, surveyor tore up his check, I think he is afraid of a law suit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.