Notices

Lake X- Anyone been?

Old 10-17-2002, 11:45 PM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Breathe Later
How can I get one of those "Dialed in at Lake X" stickers?

$$$$$$$!!!!

Lake X (lake Conlin on area maps) was the brain child of "EC" (Carl Kiekhaefer) I think the story goes something like this. EC ws looking for a place to run endurance tests and I think in the late 50's he was flying around Fl and found the lake that looked like it would fit his needs. Lk Conlin about a 4 square mile lake that EC decided to run an "around the world" 25,000 mile endurance test as a promotional gimmick for his new inline outboards. He had Jim Wynne (EC's chief test driver) oversee the around the clock endurance tests stopping only to change drivers or refuel. He had the United States Auto Club certify the run. It was just a tent city and I bet the bugs were unbelievable because they are still to this day in this area. The first building was the Endurance Building with a lagoon for turning boats and a canal to the lake. Than they built "The Motel". Than in the late 60's they built the Offshore Building. The governor of Fl. (who was a fisherman) was invited down to try his luck at fishing and see what was going on. It must have went well because after that they built a landing strip and then paved the road to Lake X when the governor decided he'd like to fish in Lake X. And to anyone who hasn't been there it's a LONG road. And so that's how the local story around here goes.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reason why they did 25k miles? a popular saying about mercs then was "theyre fast but they dont last"

they continued to 50k, a driver died when switching boats (do you think they had time to sleep on the 6.?? mi total counter clockwise loop?
Old 10-18-2002, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it would be boring living in St.Cloud Florida, but every time I leave my house and head down rt. 192 I see so kind of boat parked at a motel either coming or going from the lake, one day I will hit something rubbernecking at the boats.