Notices

OT-high milage dodges

Old 10-17-2002, 08:30 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT-high milage dodges

Does anybody have any comments to offer on a very high milage late model dodge diesel? I realy don't want to get caught up in the dodge vs ford vs gm debate, but opinons are appreciated. What I really am looking for is commentary from somebody that had this truck.

Fyi-2001 SLT Diesel, auto, 170,000 miles. Obviously we are attracted by the price break.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:45 AM
Registered

Good choice in trucks !!! I have an 01 myself.
The two major concerns would be the transmission and what is called the "lift" pump , it assists the fuel pump in the tank. What happens is the lift pump ($200) will go out and you can't tell until the other pump ($3000) goes out. Allot of people either run fuel pressure gauges or just check it once in a while.
Check out www.turbodieselregister.com they will answer all your questions. It is a forum much like this one.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dodge

Cord:

Most of the systems on these trucks are designed for about 200k to 250 k miles. Things to be concerned about:

Brake master Cylinder, Tie-rod/ball joints, Rear axle, radiator, A/c compressor.

These are things that could need replacing over the next 50k miles.

With 170k miles in 2 years this means about 280 miles /day based on 300 days per year, or about 6-7 hrs use or more.

Was it used hard like for a landscape service?

If it was used for plowing I would stay away, this tears trucks up.

Wannabe in Motor City
Old 10-17-2002, 12:16 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Ah, so that's why some people were recommending a fuel pressure gauge. When it get to be time, are you able to help me with the installation?

I've heard of automatic transmission problems behind the diesel, anybody familiar with these? We drove a manual last night and really liked it, but they seem to be a bit harder to come by.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:30 PM
Registered

Cord,
If the truck is a really good price and the trans works now, it won't cost too much to have it gone thru. It's when it breaks that it gets costly.
I've owned 3 Dodges with the supposedly weak transmission and have towed with every one of them and my last truck had 130k on it with no problems.

As far as the gauge is concerned my suggestion is to buy a test guage and just check it once in a while. Less hassle , less expense. If you buy the truck let me know and I will tell you where to buy the test gauge. I think it cost like $50 and take 2 minutes to hook up.

I don't think you will go wrong with that truck but it might need some attention , like Wannabe mentioned but any vehicle with those miles would need those things. Some of the guys on the TDR website have gotten 250k + on their trucks.
And definitly if the truck was used for towing (commercial) or plowing walk away.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:03 PM
Chadd

Cord, I have a 1999 quad cab/long bed. It has the auto trans.,
and 3.55 gears. I know the steering boxes and track bars are
junk on these. Don't be suprised if the steering is sloppy and it
wanders a little. Also the auto. transmissions could be stronger. In fact the motor gets de-tuned if it is in front of an auto opposed to a manual trans. I've got 85k on mine and the only problem I
had was the return line for the fuel sprung a leak ($300 fix).
I plow in the winter and tow a 27' boat. I just keep the trans
fluid clean and make sure I stop completly before switching gears
when plowing. I do alot of hwy. driving so I opted for 3.55 gears.
It pulls my boat excellent but I can tell a big lug when towing
a loaded 30' enclosed car trailer. But that is with 34" tires too. I
had to get rid of the 245's it came with. At least they come with
265's now. If you don't do alot of hwy driving and are going to tow a 32+ boat around I would opt for 4.10 gears. Don't know
about 2003's but the 02's and older only came with 4.10 or 3.55
ratios. Sorry I can't give you any prices on high mileage trucks but
I've had good luck with mine. Every manufacture has it's little flaws, but as far as high mileage the Cummins has been a proven
performer.

Old 10-17-2002, 01:18 PM
Registered

My .02 cents,
Stay away from the 4.10's unless you plan on running a TALL tire, or just use the truck for towing.
Chadd,
That is why your truck lugs, 3.54 w/34's tires.
My friend and I have identicle trucks (different colors)with the same mods except he has the stock 265's and I have 295's and I can tell a big difference in the low end .
My truck @ 73mph is at 1800-1900rpm's which is perfect for towing (in my opinion).
In the winter I'm always towing at least 250 miles to go snowmobiling so 4.10's would be a definite drag.
I tow the boat and the sled trailer between 70-80.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:32 PM
Registered

Hey cord, Dont ask me cuz I dont know about the questions, but I went to Imlay city ford here in michigan, and they had a 2001 Dodge diesel that had 170K on it. He said dodge, I said not a chance, but when I wasnt intrested he told me it was a trade in from a pro bass fisherman that just toured the country pulling a bass boat, and it looked like new still. It's a long way from you, but what's another 5-600 miles on it, and I dont think a bass boat is anything the truck would even notice. I dont know if they still have it or anything, but it might be worth a call. I found them online by searching imlay city ford on aol or something like that.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:38 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Rob-do you know what they were asking for it? The one that I was interested in just went up to 12k (it's an auction) so that's getting a little rich for me.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:46 PM
Registered

No I didn't ask, but I did l;ook in it, and it was really clean inside and out, and had obviously been very well taken care of. 12K sounds pretty cheap, but 170K souns like 12K is alot. Tough call, but do a search and call em, see if they still have it, and lowball the $hit out of em if they want more. It surely never hurts to ask. They traded it in, and I'm sure they got it cheap too, why shouldn't you. They gotta move it, it's better to move something off the lot at minimal profit, and get something else than to tie up that money & let that truck sit there unsold. 170K on a truck isnt something too many people go looking for.

Quick Reply: OT-high milage dodges

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.