Screaming Eagle New 36 with twin 400's >

Screaming Eagle New 36 with twin 400's

Notices

Screaming Eagle New 36 with twin 400's

Old 10-20-2017, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 538 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Screaming Eagle Boats
We are talking with a potential customer on one now that would be widened 24". We will see where it goes.

Originally Posted by Screaming Eagle Boats
118". Thanks

Wow nice when you go wide body magical things happen

24" + 118" = 142" = 11 ft 10 = yummy!

I think that'll be good enough for the 120 club with twin 400R's!

Last edited by noli; 10-22-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

First I wish you guys the best of luck as well. But having an outboard powered cat and having run other 400r boats as well having driven some of them Dale is right. Being in the marine industry the numbers on O/B cats are very subjective and can vary by huge amounts due to load, location etc. The 400r takes forever to make full power and you need miles to achieve top speed. As a HP O/B cat enthusiast it is great to see other manufacturers coming to market with new stuff. It can only help our industry and get mother Mercury to build that next generation high HP Outboard.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by noli

Wow nice when you go wide body magical things happen

24" + 118" = 142" = 11 ft 10 inches fun!

I think that'll be good enough for the 120 club with twin 400R's!

Widened tunnels do not make cats faster Noli......Garth and Jim proved that in Garth's classic 36.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
First I wish you guys the best of luck as well. But having an outboard powered cat and having run other 400r boats as well having driven some of them Dale is right. Being in the marine industry the numbers on O/B cats are very subjective and can vary by huge amounts due to load, location etc. The 400r takes forever to make full power and you need miles to achieve top speed. As a HP O/B cat enthusiast it is great to see other manufacturers coming to market with new stuff. It can only help our industry and get mother Mercury to build that next generation high HP Outboard.
Hey Ron, I can only hope Mercury releases something stronger before I put motors on the back of my 30. If they don't, I know I will be repowering as soon as they do. To go from a 150mph rig with 4 people and fuel on any given day to a boat that is going to struggle to break 120 after 3 miles with the same conditions does not sound fun to me.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Skater30
Widened tunnels do not make cats faster Noli......Garth and Jim proved that in Garth's classic 36.

there's a whole recipe of things to do in addition to widening the tunnel of a cat to make the cat perform better.

but even if the widebody doesn't increase performance, a widebody just looks so awesome, is more stable, can seat more passengers, easier around the docks because the motors are further apart, and can add walking space around the outside of the windshield.

Last edited by noli; 10-23-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
Not all 400 boats take miles to hit top speed. The DW's consistently run 120 with 3 people on board and fuel. Also with the advancements DW has made with construction and aerodynamics they accelerate HARD with the 400's. I have spoken to several people that did not believe that until they rode in one. They were believers now! 400's make a lot of torque. The 360 that ran at the LOTO shootout still ran strong numbers with a split hose that was cutting power. Sorry, not intending to sidetrack thread.

Best of luck to SEB on this new venture. Subscribed..
Old 10-23-2017, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noli, I appreciate that you keep everyone up to date on so many of the projects in this industry but I've got to ask what's your background in marine engineering when you say things like there's a whole recipe of things to do in addition to widening the tunnel... While I'm sure there are ie step placement, sponson width, tunnel depth, etc what are they planning to do with THAT hull to get it there, if there was a magical formula to add speed without negatively impacting other aspects of handling the existing manufacturers would all be doing it. To just say the wider hull and 400's will surely get it to 120 is kind of silly, if that's the case would widening it 36" get it to 130?

As for maneuvering around a dock, that's subjective. The motors are plenty far enough apart on a standard beam to have perfect control at low speeds, the extra 2 feet won't make a difference there but could complicate things in tight spaces and it may not fit in standard slips anymore, especially on a lot of lakes that aren't expecting wide offshore cats. I've been in plenty of slips that a 12' beam wouldn't have fit and had to (wanted to) have spotters at the corners because I was so tight in a marina when trying to spin around. Do I like the wider cats sure but they're not a fix all or better in all circumstances.

Having run with several existing 36 Spectre's with much more than 800 total horsepower you're going to have to work some serious magic to get that hull to 120 with stock 400's. Am I excited to see it ABSOLUTELY but I also don't think I'm being unreasonable to be skeptical. Being realistic with goals and exceeding them is I think a much more practical approach. IMO if you can get that hull to be an honest every day 100mph boat with fuel and 4 people you'd have a wave crushing super fun boat and I think that's probably more realistic but good luck...
Old 10-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mlb75
... what's your background in marine engineering ...

MLB,

I'm a software engineer by trade. I wish I can recite all of the things that DW and Arnaldo spoke about when they were discussing the changes they did on the molds. I don't even know if recipe is a technical word, I just used it here. One thing I did notice is that to make a cat run better, it's not just cutting and widening a hull. To increase performance on the widebody cat, there were terminologies like compression, CG, lamination schedule, windshield rake, etc that were tossed around. Maybe I should have recorded them so you can decipher their language and share here...but then I would proly be sharing info that they don't want shared.

It looks like we're going off topic here and I apologize to Todd (SEB) for "helping" to hijack this thread.

Now back to the SEB 36

Last edited by noli; 10-23-2017 at 04:20 PM.