Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Awesome Cat/American Offshore 31 Porpoise Question >

Awesome Cat/American Offshore 31 Porpoise Question

Notices

Awesome Cat/American Offshore 31 Porpoise Question

Old 10-22-2017, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 889 Likes on 318 Posts

with around 500+hp they should be fine. as p999 said, x-dimension is a big factor. I have seen some that had the drives pretty deep and the boat would never free up enough to run. they raised them up and suddenly the boat took off. everyone who runs one and gets nervous about the hop always thinks that it is going to continue to get worse and the speed increases but that is not how these boats run. most that are set up right will start to settle down around the upper 80's to 90 and then as the air gets up under it you feel her lift up and start pulling again until you run out of power. this hull was built and intended to be an offshore cat, not a lake boat. they like running in the chop and slop of big water. I have run them in the 90's in 4+ foot seas and was never uncomfortable in them. I may be biased as my dad was VP and then President of Chris Craft when they were built and I ran more than a few in different configurations but if I ever get another offshore boat then a Chris Cat is the one I will be looking for.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I am the minority as I don't want a cat for blistering top speed

I want a cat for the ride, and my research as led me to the Awesome/AO, as they seem to have the best rough water ride for their size and a usable cuddy.

I just don't want to be stuck in the "hop zone" on smooth water because I don't have enough power to get through it.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:54 PM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

95% of my riding is in lake Michigan, normal easy cruising for me is in the 70 to 90 mph range. The hop is hardly noticeable...because I'm in lake Mi.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:11 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CNC, what does your boat run with 1200's? wow, that a lot of juice in 31.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CNC
95% of my riding is in lake Michigan, normal easy cruising for me is in the 70 to 90 mph range. The hop is hardly noticeable...because I'm in lake Mi.
I just saw you're from MI. I sent you a PM.