Notices

1973 donzi gt21

Old 12-06-2017, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go old school. Or Shelby blue with white or silver stripes down the deck. Mount the bravo 17.5. That way you should be close and still could space down if needed
good luck. Bring it up to lake George when you're done.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by class6
Go old school. Or Shelby blue with white or silver stripes down the deck. Mount the bravo 17.5. That way you should be close and still could space down if needed
good luck. Bring it up to lake George when you're done.
That's the plan to take it on our vacation to Lake George. I hope I can get it done by then
Old 12-06-2017, 05:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I would do it old school.
It's a timeless boat, I'd keep it simple and let the boat tell its story
Old 12-06-2017, 05:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by madbouyz
They're the classics because , well , they're classic !
That's why they're still loved and revered everywhere .
Keep it simple and elegant like how it left the factory . If you bastardize it with metallic paint , flags , flames , carbon fiber , outrageous graphics and god know what else you'll destroy it's appeal and any chance of ever getting a good price on it if you ever re-sell . You purchased a Donzi classic , do you want to turn it into a floating jukebox ?
Take your time and do it right . But , it's your boat after all , not mine .
I also like old school. Its a hard sell to my daughter about the Powder Blue LOL Were these good handling boats ?
Old 12-06-2017, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep it simple less is more on the old donzis. My favorite one I have seen so fare was all white with a blue stripe up the bow with the donzi on the back corners small and simple. White seats with blue carpet. Loved that boay
Old 12-06-2017, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Don' go baby blue then. Go more of a navy blue
Old 12-06-2017, 06:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

I say old school but that doesn't mean you have to do it the original baby blue color.
As above, navy blue can be old school, put a waterline stripe (stick-on) any color your daughter likes. Some nice colors go with navy (white, yellow, silver) that can give the boat a 'lift' and make it stand out. You could also do a nice Donzi name to match the stripe.......

Up to you!

Very nice project, hope you two have fun on the rebuild.

RR
Old 12-07-2017, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

agreed, old school / original themed,
your sanding now so if the gel was just scuffed for paint, maybe theres enough there to save it.

another thing, my transom needs a patch, but only on the inside top of the cutout, so i made a jig to route it out
and a 1 inch bigger jig to route out the patch so it fits nice. (based on a 1/2 inch dia. router bit)

it's made for my needs but it can be moved around or turned sideways depending on the size of the hole
example would be bottom outside for the push and top inside for the pull.
but thats up to you how big where and why the transom gets patched.
theres an insert for both jigs in case the hole / patch size needed to be adjusted down.
(but youd have to verify each cut would match eachother) it's set for a 1/2 inch bit, so patch has to be 1 inch bigger.

to give you an idea, on mine the blue tape represents the original patch.
in the hole you can see the seam.
my router is an old cast iron cold war relic 6 inches diameter, therefore the actual cut out will be 3 inches smaller
than the jig. so my patch will end up being 3 inches wider on each side of the cut out at it's widest point
and close to 6 inches on top, then the glass will extend 3 inches past that, basiclally where it's ground down to

i'm gonna use it tomorrow or saturday, after that if you would like i'll send it to you and the mercury
transom jig with all the bits and hole saw when your ready to do it
as long as you pay shipping and return it to me after completion.
Attached Thumbnails 1973 donzi gt21-sany0568.jpg   1973 donzi gt21-sany0569.jpg   1973 donzi gt21-sany0570.jpg  

1973 donzi gt21-sany0571.jpg   1973 donzi gt21-sany0572.jpg   1973 donzi gt21-sany0573.jpg  

1973 donzi gt21-sany0576.jpg   1973 donzi gt21-sany0580.jpg  

Last edited by outonsafari; 12-07-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by outonsafari
agreed, old school / original themed,
your sanding now so if the gel was just scuffed for paint, maybe theres enough there to save it.

another thing, my transom needs a patch, but only on the inside top of the cutout, so i made a jig to route it out
and a 1 inch bigger jig to route out the patch so it fits nice. (based on a 1/2 inch dia. router bit)

it's made for my needs but it can be moved around or turned sideways depending on the size of the hole
example would be bottom outside for the push and top inside for the pull.
but thats up to you how big where and why the transom gets patched.
theres an insert for both jigs in case the hole / patch size needed to be adjusted down.
(but youd have to verify each cut would match eachother) it's set for a 1/2 inch bit, so patch has to be 1 inch bigger.

to give you an idea, on mine the blue tape represents the original patch.
in the hole you can see the seam.
my router is an old cast iron cold war relic 6 inches diameter, therefore the actual cut out will be 3 inches smaller
than the jig. so my patch will end up being 3 inches wider on each side of the cut out at it's widest point
and close to 6 inches on top, then the glass will extend 3 inches past that, basiclally where it's ground down to

i'm gonna use it tomorrow or saturday, after that if you would like i'll send it to you and the mercury
transom jig with all the bits and hole saw when your ready to do it
as long as you pay shipping and return it to me after completion.
WOW that's a nice set up. Thanks for the offer.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool boat and an awesome project for you and your daughter!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.