Notices

1973 donzi gt21

Old 10-26-2017, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts
Default 1973 donzi gt21

I just got a project boat for me and my daughter Lauren (14 years old). I had no idea Donzi had a deep vee model in that era. We are planning on gutting it and put it back together with spare parts I already have. I don't mind that it wont be worth much and I will be upside down on what I put into it. We are doing it more of a learning project and spending time together. Does anyone have any knowledge of these boats. How did they ride? I just thought it looked cool with its lines and cool interior layout.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Your surprise that Donzi had a deep V model in that year is a bit confusing . Donzi Started building for sale in approx 1965 (ok there was maybe 4-8 1964s) with the 16 the 19 and the 28 . All were models that were raced and were all deep Vs . None of the other models were really raced like the originals although there was a GT21 or two that made it on the circuit.
The GT21 has always been one of my favorites as it encompasses everything noteworthy about Donzi at the time . Great hull , luxury and classic lines .
Probably not a whole lot of them made either , certainly not compared to the 16 , 18 and 22 .
I've never heard anything negative about the ride but the major info source would be over on the Donzi.net
What kind of shape if the windscreen in ? They were notorious for sagging in the center , not to mention that the plexi ended up scratched and burnt out .

If nothing's been done to it it's going to need a fair bit and don't forget that gas tank !

Stick up some pics for us , eh ?
Old 10-26-2017, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

is this it ? nice looking boat, interior layout is cool as hell
Attached Thumbnails 1973 donzi gt21-donzi-gt-21-517169.jpg   1973 donzi gt21-donzi-gt-21-517171.jpg   1973 donzi gt21-donzi-gt-21-517173.jpg  

1973 donzi gt21-donzi-gt-21-517174.jpg   1973 donzi gt21-donzi-gt-21-517172.jpg  
Old 10-26-2017, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
I just got a project boat for me and my daughter Lauren (14 years old). I had no idea Donzi had a deep vee model in that era. We are planning on gutting it and put it back together with spare parts I already have. I don't mind that it wont be worth much and I will be upside down on what I put into it. We are doing it more of a learning project and spending time together. Does anyone have any knowledge of these boats. How did they ride? I just thought it looked cool with its lines and cool interior layout.
Should be a awesome project for you an your Daughter. I think it's great that she would enjoy doing this with her Dad. Enjoy your time with her a post pictures please.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

----I know that yellow 21 well as I was working part time for Donzi when it was being rigged. It was built for a very good friend of John Chisholm's to his specifications. Loaded with optional stuff. Originally was powered by a Mercruiser 427 competition engine and no.3 Speedmaster and it flew back in the day when I had a ride. The owner had a prior GT21 with twin 351 Holman-Moody's and Volvos, but couldn't keep the drivetrain together as well as it was a bit stern heavy. The interior on the yellow boat was totally lipstick red patent vinyl (glossy). Made quite an impression on me as I ordered one a bit more sedate, but along the same lines. The boat was later turned back in to Donzi and the drivetrain was removed as it was deemed to valuable to be able to sell the boat easily. The boat ended up in Texas later........Bill S
Old 10-27-2017, 12:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by outonsafari
That's it !!!! My back bench seat has sides on it. I know it also had a #3 drive on it as well. How well will it run with a 350 Mag? I need to fill in the transom. Any idea of what the x dem should be for a Alpha or Bravo?

Last edited by TYPHOON; 10-27-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

i know, ask some of your single engine class 5 & 6 racing buddies where to put the X then secretly pass that info to me

start a poll
speed w/350 mag
what x and why
Old 10-27-2017, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by outonsafari
WOW! That is a COOL boat!
Please give frequent updates.

Padraig
Old 12-06-2017, 01:35 PM
Registered

We have been sanding away!!!! Got down to the original color (Baby Blue sides, stripe and White rest of boat). I was thinking the old school colors might look good to go back to when I re paint it. What do you guys think? More modern color or old school? Can I e-mail someone and you can post some pics. I need a volunteer.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

They're the classics because , well , they're classic !
That's why they're still loved and revered everywhere .
Keep it simple and elegant like how it left the factory . If you bastardize it with metallic paint , flags , flames , carbon fiber , outrageous graphics and god know what else you'll destroy it's appeal and any chance of ever getting a good price on it if you ever re-sell . You purchased a Donzi classic , do you want to turn it into a floating jukebox ?
Take your time and do it right . But , it's your boat after all , not mine .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.