Notices

Progress Report: Fountain Kilo Boat Build On Track For January Record Attempt

Old 12-26-2017, 10:01 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
That's funny. A little history here.

Reggie Fountain's 42 lightning hull (40 race) uses two steps and runs on a pad. The OL hull design of the SV 43 uses 5 steps but no pad. Without that pad and more steps the OL is no doubt fast but it tends to run flatter and wetter up front. The downside is that it tends to bow steer. Not good when you are racing or trying to break a kilo record. Such is the design quirk with the OL hull design that sometimes will spin out on the race course even when going in a straight line.

When OL wanted to capture the kilo record they towed their boat to North Carolina.and hired Reggie's ex-setup guru and his gang of ex-Fountain bottom guys to put a Fountain-like pad on the bottom of the OL Kilo boat, as well as to make other design modifications to the hull to make it run more like a Fountain. This is no secret and common knowledge to both the Fountain and OL camps - but apparently not to some on this site.

All's fair in love and kilo wars. OL owns the kilo record fair and square and you won't see Reggie crying online that OL had to hire his ex-protege to copy his hull bottom in order to take the record. But when people on this site start complaining that the Fountain should run the same engines as the OL to get "A true comparison of which hull design is superior" I'll bet it makes Reggie's head almost explode - as it should.

More steps does not equal faster. If such was the case, I'd just cut a section of my roof off, flip it over, and put 1650 on it.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

That's funny. A little history here.

Reggie Fountain's 42 lightning hull (40 race) uses two steps and runs on a pad. The OL hull design of the SV 43 uses 5 steps but no pad. Without that pad and more steps the OL is no doubt fast but it tends to run flatter and wetter up front. The downside is that it tends to bow steer. Not good when you are racing or trying to break a kilo record. Such is the design quirk with the OL hull design that sometimes will spin out on the race course even when going in a straight line.

When OL wanted to capture the kilo record they towed their boat to North Carolina.and hired Reggie's ex-setup guru and his gang of ex-Fountain bottom guys to put a Fountain-like pad on the bottom of the OL Kilo boat, as well as to make other design modifications to the hull to make it run more like a Fountain. This is no secret and common knowledge to both the Fountain and OL camps - but apparently not to some on this site.

All's fair in love and kilo wars. OL owns the kilo record fair and square and you won't see Reggie crying online that OL had to hire his ex-protege to copy his hull bottom in order to take the record. But when people on this site start complaining that the Fountain should run the same engines as the OL to get "A true comparison of which hull design is superior" I'll bet it makes Reggie's head almost explode - as it should.
At the time of the OL kilo run was Brian Forehand not already piloting other OLs on the race course? So because a guy worked with one company in the past he cannot work with another? Should OL have not brought in experienced minds to attempt a dangerous feat such as this? If you ask me attempting it without garnering others experiences and knowledge would be foolish and ignorant.

FYI - Not doing any complaining.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ouch!

Originally Posted by phragle
Im thinking at least one or two pieces of it should hit 200 .......
That would be funny if this wasn't a potentially life threatening endeavor. Godspeed Mr. Fountain!
Old 12-26-2017, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by sprsptr
That would be funny if this wasn't a potentially life threatening endeavor. Godspeed Mr. Fountain!
yeah considering who OL has lost in fast crashes recently I really wonder why a kilo record is even relevant!
Nobody else is even contemplating a kilo run.....like only one kid on the field trying to break a field goal record.....
Old 12-26-2017, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by IGetWet
At the time of the OL kilo run was Brian Forehand not already piloting other OLs on the race course? So because a guy worked with one company in the past he cannot work with another? Should OL have not brought in experienced minds to attempt a dangerous feat such as this? If you ask me attempting it without garnering others experiences and knowledge would be foolish and ignorant.

FYI - Not doing any complaining.
Let me lay this out for you,

As I said in my post -All's fair in love and Kilo wars".
I"m perfectly fine with OL hiring Brain (and who would give a chit if If I wasn't ffine with it).
I'm perfectly fine with Brian turning the OL hull design into a quasi-Fountain hull to correct the OL design flaws for a dangerous high speed kilo run.

The boat that set the record was an OL and they deserve the record. Period.

My point is that people who think that Fountain should run the same engines as OL ran in order to offer a "True comparison" of the OL and Fountain hull design are in the dark about the fact that the OL wasn't even running an OL hull design.

Last edited by Marginmn; 12-26-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Exactly and I'm glad to see it. Keep the water out of the canopy.
Yea but how restricted is their field of view ?
Old 12-26-2017, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

To all this “ it’s not a offshore hull, why do it, not stock” bla bla bla.

This is a performance web site, they are doing it because they want to. It’s like why does someone make a flat head streamlined to break a record.

I think it is cool, hope everyone is safe and would love to watch it if I could get there. Kudo’s to them.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

Let me lay this out for you,

As I said in my post -All's fair in love and Kilo wars".
I"m perfectly fine with OL hiring Brain (and who would give a chit if If I wasn't ffine with it).
I'm perfectly fine with Brian turning the OL hull design into a quasi-Fountain hull to correct the OL design flaws for a dangerous high speed kilo run.

The boat that set the record was an OL and they deserve the record. Period.

My point is that people who think that Fountain should run the same engines as OL ran in order to offer a "True comparison" of the OL and Fountain hull design are in the dark about the fact that the OL wasn't even running an OL hull design.
There’s documentation somewhere that the sv43 had fountain specific hull modifications? Because they added a pad it means it’s part fountain or a “quasi-fountain”? Sounds like a lot of speculation, like to say this new fountain is going to be a quasi-skater, because they brought in Peter Hledin, which would probably be a ridiculous statement.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These boats are going to need ailerons and rudder pedals soon.

Can't wait to watch the run. If she breaks the record, bring her down to the Miami Boat show in Feb, would bring a lot of attention to Fountain & Iconic Marine Gp.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does Outerlimits run a pad on all of there boats or did they just add a pad to there kilo boat to break the record?

If they do not run a pad on all their boats, then the boat that Outerlimits made for the kilo run is no different that the boat that Fountain is making for their kilo run.

Did Outerlimits run the same motors that Fountain ran when they 1st broke the Kilo record? No Outerlimits upped the HP just like Fountain is doing....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.