Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who can recomend a machine shop to build some motors?? >

Who can recomend a machine shop to build some motors??

Notices

Who can recomend a machine shop to build some motors??

Old 10-29-2017, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile Gold Chains

Hey turbos230, I agree with your attitude toward the price of exotic motors, there just is no legitimate justification for the premium demanded for 50 year old technology. That being said, I think it will be difficult to get a reputable builder to comply with the guidelines you have established, and almost certainly will have no implied warranty. Marine engine builders generally exist in a different world, and we have OEM suppliers like Mercury to thank for that. If Merc can get 80K for a 850 motor, an independent feels justified in charging 60K, citing a huge savings for the consumer. Truthfully, some of the GM crate motors are a bargain, converting them to marine use is a subject of much debate and controversy. Good Luck in your quest, and lay off the gold chains!
Old 10-30-2017, 07:08 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by turbos230
So Eddie Young is a user/member on this forum right .What is his user name, dont say it is just EddieYoung........................
Young Performance
Old 10-30-2017, 07:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
REALLY???? gotta start chit for no reason huh? I break all the time? please inform me the issues I had after the ONE time ONE engine broke? tell me please... 110 hours of ZERO PROBLEMS....let it go....as far as the "wet" boat? yep so stupid to make money for myself LOL don't be a hater or jealous I have the ability to do so.

I have a suggestion for anyone hating on me GET OVER IT... I have proved you all wrong so let it go.
yea you keep telling yourself that.....go to a real dyno and see what it does.. to the OP, if you have "all new parts" assembled by and idiot, you just wasted money..where are you located? there are quite a few builders that dont go beating their own drum but have a good solid reputation by not seeking limelight, but just by doing things the right way..
Old 10-30-2017, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The boat is in florida, I dont care if the engines need to be shipped that is no problem just need someone to do the things the way I need it and not install used parts or a crankshaft from autozone
Old 10-30-2017, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Young Performance
again Young Performance!
Old 10-30-2017, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I dont know the OP, but Im not seeing what the issue is with having a machine shop, do the machine work for you.

Theres tons of hobbyists, and even some pro's, who use this approach daily. Not everyone is looking for a builder to build them drop in engines. I have quite a few friends who have good relationships with their machine shops, and have them do the block machining and what not, to their specs, or parts choices they wish to use in their engines. Obviously these guys dont have Rottler engine machining centers sitting in thier pole barns, but they can sure put together a hell of an engine package when its all said and done. I can bring my cylinder heads to my head guy, and tell him what springs I want, what valves I want, and so on.

Its like saying you cant do a brake job on your car , because you dont have a lathe for cutting rotors at home.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:43 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

It sounds to me like he is afraid of being scammed / thieved. Keeps referring to people installing other parts than what is agreed upon or even sent. I understand this issue as I have pulled apart a few motors that where full of not just used parts but POS parts while engine owner paid for certain things. Not hearsay as I was around for the purchase too.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by turbos230
The boat is in florida, I dont care if the engines need to be shipped that is no problem just need someone to do the things the way I need it and not install used parts or a crankshaft from autozone
In that case I highly recommend MDG performance here in MD, they did the re rig on my Tiger, and are rigging my 20 as we type... no machine shop on premise, but they use a well known one in the area only for machine work, all tolerances are checked and double checked and dynoed on premise. straight up honest. Ive spent hundreds of thousands of dollars with them and will as long as i can..
Old 10-30-2017, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

It really comes down to finding someone you trust that is somewhat local to you.

Ive given builders complete parts to get random **** back in an assembled engine. Unfortunately you dick around with it for a year and can't really go back on them.

Posting you want to cut a builder out of any parts mark up and want them to build an engine "to your specs" will put up a red flag and any builder you would want to build them will run.

Again find someone somewhat local and ask the boating community if they can do it correctly.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:56 AM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

Buying some marine HP motors that have been refreshed may be the most economical way to go. This should also allow you to put the boat in the water in 2018.

https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...es-o70089.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.