Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Center Console stuffs and rolls, 13 yr old surfer saves the captain >

Center Console stuffs and rolls, 13 yr old surfer saves the captain

Notices

Center Console stuffs and rolls, 13 yr old surfer saves the captain

Old 10-31-2017, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

Very, very cool to see a human saving/helping another human instead of sitting there laughing or just shooting video. Clearly this young man has been raised properly.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:16 PM
Registered

I've never been in a boating situation like this. What is the proper way to navigate this?
Old 10-31-2017, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by lake p.a.l.
I've never been in a boating situation like this. What is the proper way to navigate this?
I have found that going with a little speed keeps you in front of it with more control. Going slower IMO lets you get sucked back into the wave and then you have to try and ride it out. Same going out. You have to keep your bow up and punch threw IMO.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
I have found that going with a little speed keeps you in front of it with more control. Going slower IMO lets you get sucked back into the wave and then you have to try and ride it out. Same going out. You have to keep your bow up and punch threw IMO.
Thank you for your response. That's what I was guessing, make sure you keep the bow up at almost all costs. Sad loss of property.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Good job, kid.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

those standing waves when tide is going out can get hairy.
that kid should get some kind of recognition from the coast gaurd rescue swimmers
Old 10-31-2017, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

If you look close I think that boat was taking on water already. It was sitting way low.

Been through that inlet it can get rough, sensation inlet is another one. Narrow and out going tides with winds blowing in stands the waves straight up.

Not Lake Erie water
Old 10-31-2017, 06:56 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I always ride the backside of the wave if I'm in a hairy situation, totally minimized the chances of stuffing but you have to be on the ball to stay there. Waves looked pretty close together in this vid so I'll not judge his actions. Boat did look low, or like a low freeboard cc at the least.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks to me like the wave was lifting the stern and burying the bow. A little more throttle and bow up on the wave in front. NO PROBLEM.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

The reason I know how to go in and out of a inlet is because I swamped my race boat. Not proud of the moment but want to share. I was racing in the worlds at either Orange beach or Destin and just won in my class and was coming back in. The race was fairly big water and we were pumped on the way back. I was to switch boats and get into my SVL for the next race once we cleared the inlet. As we were idling back in the inlet with boat traffic the waves behind us were large and we road the first one ok. On the next one I looked back as it was about to break on top of us so I gassed the boat to get ahead of it. It was to late and I drove the bow down which pushed the bow under and swamped the boat washing both of us out of the boat and ripping my helmet off. No one got hurt but the boat was filled with water and barley floating. Someone came over and pulled us to the side before we sank. My driver was asking what should we do now and my response was figure it out I have another race in 5 minutes I have to go. I got a lift to my other boat strapped in and raced the next race. I came back in faster! The driver was Greg Koltnecker who crews with Jay Muller. We won a 50 mile offshore race in big water that year but couldn't navigate the inlet LOL