Notices

Up & Over...

Old 11-14-2017, 08:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

I know nothing about the rules and regs but the post from sydwayz reads very well. I've watched the video a few times and paused when the red boat comes into view, comparing his line to the wake of the boat that has just passed, I reckon he was already turning off to starboard before the white boat appeared.

At that speed, wouldn't all the boats be pointed in a straight line towards the next turn marker? (Parallel lines never meet)

RR
Old 11-14-2017, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Pasting in some info I put on FB in another conversation:

When you break down, you turn infield and wait for permission from Race Control for a clear path to cross the active race course into the pits. That's the rules, which they all know and sat through a daily briefing on.

Instead, CMS opted to bang an immediate right into the pits while on the active race course, directly into the path of the CT boat behind them; a fundamental and catastrophic mistake that was lucky not to have killed anyone. There is no "pit lane". The reason for the rule to turn infield is so that there is NOT a collision which would send a boat into the spectators; which this very well could have. There are no "right turns" off the race course in Key West. The infield is where rescue and mechanical (towing/sinking) assistance is waiting for competitors, not the pits. To enter the pits, you come off plane into the infield, get permission to cross, and then enter the pits, period. Similarly, that's the way EVERY race is ended as well. Even if the orange CMS boat was taking on water, he would sit out in the middle and sink without permission from Race Control to leave/cross the active race course to enter the pits.

I can see why they made the mistake, and can say if it were me; I might have made the same one. They were off the pace due to mechanical failure further back down the race course, and likely thought they would just tuck into the pits and call it a day. These race teams have spotters as well, and this was a breakdown on several levels, unfortunately. Regardless of where the CMS boat was on the course, the CT boat "knew" according to the rules that they were to pass on the outside. When CMS banged the right, that's when things went haywire. If CMS was behind a bouy like was once mentioned, there would not have been a lane for the white CT Team boat to have been in.

I was told by two different reliable resources that CMS conceded fault to the CT Team afterward; and is working with them on replacing the deck of the CT boat with a spare that they had.

Also, look how close this is to spectators; and the actual Race Control tower. A few feet, a few seconds, a different breeze, or a different last second rudder adjustment; this could have been massively tragic.
https://www.rt.com/usa/409675-superb...e-crash-video/
How many races do you have under your belt???
Old 11-14-2017, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to get in the middle but rules are rules it doesn't matter how many races a person has under their belt, if the rule is turn to the infield if you have an issue and wait for clearance to cross the course then that clearly didn't happen. Whether or not that's the rule should be easy enough to find out. I wasn't there and can only go by the footage available but it looks an awful lot like the CMS boat slowed down and turned to starboard presumably to go towards the pits from the course and while passing to the outside might have been tight in that area it appears it was an open line until CMS decided to turn across the course. If the rules are to go to the middle and they didn't do that but took it on themselves to cross the active course then IMO they should pay for the white boat to be fixed or be banned from the event, sure racing is racing but part of that is expecting EVERYONE to follow the rules. If I was the owner of the white boat and it was my first race, I'd be pissed that a veteran team would not follow the rules, total my boat, and there be no consequences. At that rate the big boys can just total the competition until no one wants to race against them then claim to be world champions. I don't think that's any ones intention but there needs to be accountability otherwise why would anyone get into the sport.

It's because of stuff like this and other collisions that seem so avoidable at these events with no one held accountable that I'd never go boat racing.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Well maybe this thread should be closed, there is nothing more to discuss here. Sydwayz has told us the rules and figured out what happened, why it happened, who was at fault and how to prevent it. (cliff notes)CMS "BANGED" a right and got ran over by CT. CMS made a huge mistake and broke the rules! According to "reliable sources" CMS said sorry and is going to put the CT boat back together.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by 96scarab
Well maybe this thread should be closed, there is nothing more to discuss here. Sydwayz has told us the rules and figured out what happened, why it happened, who was at fault and how to prevent it. (cliff notes)CMS "BANGED" a right and got ran over by CT. CMS made a huge mistake and broke the rules! According to "reliable sources" CMS said sorry and is going to put the CT boat back together.
That account was quickly disputed ...
Old 11-14-2017, 05:42 PM
Registered

Sorry I don’t get the point of closing the thread, what else do you have to offer to the discussion since you seem to take offense to someone else’s summation? So many people seem to get butt hurt anytime an accident happens and people want to talk about it, sure I get that Monday morning qb’s can get frustrating but why not get the info out about what happened why it happened and how it could have been prevented. Granted that’s best accomplished when those involved are willing to talk about it but today enough video etc is normally available to put things together even if they aren’t. If that happened a little more often maybe just maybe someone will learn something from the accidents and a future incident could be avoided.

We've all made mistakes and hopefully owned up to them. If someone can learn from a mistake I’ve made or from an accident I was involved in that’s a good thing why can’t boating acccidents especially ones where everyone involved walked away from be learned from?
Old 11-14-2017, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's give credit to the safety pod for these racers. So glad everyone walked away.
Attached Thumbnails Up & Over...-img_1676.png  
Old 11-15-2017, 07:59 AM
Registered

Absolutely thank the safety pods, something that was probably learned by looking at accidents and figuring out a way to prevent them in the future...
Old 11-16-2017, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

first i'm hearing "safety pod"
is it the cock pit only ?
or is it a combo of things?
looking at the above pic it looks like the bulkheads don't go out to the rubrail area and the portion of the deck and hull sides
that came off looks clean like it was sacrificial to take some energy out of the upside down landing.

either way or whatever, still glad everyone made it out and hope they make it back next year.