Notices

Mike Poppa - 1985

Old 07-07-2005, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mike Poppa - 1985

I was searching for articles concerning Mike Poppa, and I came across a thread on this board about him. He died in Nov. 1985 at the World Championship Race in Key West... he was involved in a tragic accident. I am his daughter, and at the time I was only 4 so don't know many details about the accident or unfortunately about his racing career. I have been trying to find articles about the accident and his accomplishments, but since it occurred in 1985, i'm not having much luck. If anyone knew him or raced with him, knows of websites, articles, or has information about my Dad, i'd love to have it.

I also found out today from a website about the "Mike Poppa Award". Nigel Hook received the award in 1993 for setting the world Kilo record. Does anyone have any information about that award that's given out or can point me in the direction of someone that may? Thank you so much for any information!!
Old 07-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mike Poppa - 1985

You came to the right place. I'm sure that there are many people on this board that knew your father personally. Check back often as you'll probably get the education of your life about your dad and his racing career.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

You might also want to talk to John Crouse and buy his book called SeaRace http://www.searace-crouse.com/ as it covers those years that your father raced.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

kpoppa: i have a old offshore magizine here some here with a story about your dad. i will do some looking tonite for if i know it's here a saw it a month of two again. i'm going on vaca tomorrow but if you pm me your address i will send it to you or a can fax you copys of the story.
todd
best wishes
Old 07-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Registered

kpoppa: just like that i found it if you have a fax # i will run some copy's and fax to you. or when i get back in 2 weeks i can send it to you. it's not in the best shape but a nice color pic of your dad and rich.
todd
Old 07-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Registered

That's exactly what my brother and I are hoping to find! I have many pictures of him and I sitting on Still Crazy at the races. I know that racing was such a huge part of his life, and a part that I know virtually nothing about. My personal email is [email protected] if anyone has anything they can email me.

Thanks in advance for any information, stories, pictures that you are willing to share.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Registered

kpoppa: i just faxed you a few page's i hope it is a start.
good luck todd
Old 07-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Registered

reading this thread has made me cry, I am so sorry that you never got to know your Dad. I am confident that our group will help you find out a lot about him. I have learned from OSO that fans and racers are a tight group and always willing to help. And like Barronmarine (Todd) they keep all the old magazines and stuff . I am sure that people like T2X, his son Darin, Tommy Saccenti, Brownie, and others will get wind of your request and you will soon have a lot of info about him. Good Luck, and if you don't get the info you are looking for PM me and I will start contacting those people for you. Donna

By the way what type of boat did he race

Last edited by Ms PatriYacht; 07-07-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Registered

I remember Mike Poppa and Dick Fullam of the "Still Crazy" race team.As a kid growing up as a die hard fan of this sport,they were always one of my favorite teams....nice guys who were glad to talk about racing with anyone who was interested.As I recall, they started out in a 30ft Velocity in the Modified Class,which later became Modified Vee Class.They then moved up to the 38ft Cougar Cat in Open Class until thier tragic accident in Key West in 1985.This accident unfortunately was followed by another tragic accident involving "Jesse James" the following year in Key West.The positive to come out of all this was a real focus on improving the safety of offshore race boats;which has come a long way since 1985.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Registered

hi donna : man donnai know what you mean with girls of my own. give me your fax # if you have time before you go and i will shot this over to you. see you tomorrow. back to the boat and packing.
todd

Quick Reply: Mike Poppa - 1985

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.