Notices

Key West Races

Old 11-15-2017, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Key West Races

So maybe I should not have started this thread ,but here it goes any ways,

So I have been going to KW for the races for about 10-12 years now,,I remember the days that watching the helicopters in the air was almost as exciting as the boat races,(almost LOL),a lot more boats racing,excitement seemed higher,,
I have to be honest ,the last couple of years the races seem to have gotten flat/stale at least to me,and speaking with others they feel the same way,I think Friday there was one helicopter following the race boats and Sunday 2 maybe 3,,previously you couldn't take your eyes off the race course afraid you might miss something, now days you stop and look for a second and then carry on your conversion with the guys next to you,and wait for them to come back around again.

I respect the racers and appreciate all that they do ,and I will be there again next year for sure rooting for WHM, (dam jimmy johns/performance boat)LOL.

Not sure if anybody else feels the same,but just my thought(not that anybody asked)
Old 11-15-2017, 05:59 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Boat counts are down.

The smaller(by size/speed) classes have had a big drop off over the years. KW is just too expensive for teams on a limited budget.

The better-funded teams still come out but even those classes have seen better days.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Race 1 on Sunday was pretty entertaining

Last edited by JaayTeee; 11-15-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
So maybe I should not have started this thread ,but here it goes any ways,

So I have been going to KW for the races for about 10-12 years now,,I remember the days that watching the helicopters in the air was almost as exciting as the boat races,(almost LOL),a lot more boats racing,excitement seemed higher,,
I have to be honest ,the last couple of years the races seem to have gotten flat/stale at least to me,and speaking with others they feel the same way,I think Friday there was one helicopter following the race boats and Sunday 2 maybe 3,,previously you couldn't take your eyes off the race course afraid you might miss something, now days you stop and look for a second and then carry on your conversion with the guys next to you,and wait for them to come back around again.

I respect the racers and appreciate all that they do ,and I will be there again next year for sure rooting for WHM, (dam jimmy johns/performance boat)LOL.

Not sure if anybody else feels the same,but just my thought(not that anybody asked)

I think that ever since Poker Runs started the race boat counts went down, guys were buying and building Extreme Poker Run Boats that could of easily been race boats. Just take a look at some of these Poker Run boats and I think you would agree.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Stu at FPC claimed there were 185 poker run boats, how many race boats total? If they had 19 race boats then the ratio was 10 to 1 (poker run vs. racer). If they had 37 race boats then it was 5 to 1.

The choppers are probably needed based on how many boats are on the course. National network TV coverage may have required a chopper or two but if they didn't get the coverage then there would be less birds in the air.

Last time I did the KWPR I honestly saw one race.......we left Sunday between races and had a 3 hour boat ride back to the trailer.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

What other sport holds two separate sanctioned world championships a week apart ? in the same state ?
Old 11-16-2017, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was my first year for the Poker run and watching the Races - I was blown away to say the least. Only thing I may do differently is watch the races from shore vs. on the boat as the view doesn't allow you to see much of the course.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

I just wish there was some competition for the Instigator boat, man that thing hauls ass. It was our first time down there as well. Friday we watched from shore and Sunday from boat. Definitely better view from shore.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The races just isn't how they use to be and hasn't been that way for 20 plus yrs. Now days it's all about the poker runs. Some may agree and some may not agree but if you take us out ( poker runs/ people that go to hang for the week) than Key west that week would be almost empty. I cant recall the last time i saw a full race never the less saw the races all three days. I go for the run down from Miami to be and party with all my out of town friends etc. Poker runs is what boat racing use to be. The wow factor boats, the big bling showcase from people like Derick Wachob which brings his full collection of cars, 4 boats including his 110 foot yacht, and many others. That's how boat racing was when Al Copeland, Tom Gentry and others would do the same. Back than the Galleon Marina was the wet slips for all race team which now days is the slips for some of the poker run teams. Also now days after most poker runs us owners take to them to our shops to get them ready for the next poker run, which again this is how it use to be when racing was racing. Some people say that KW gets packed for the races and i and many others totally disagree. With out us poker runs KW would be a lot less packed. Lets see what happen come May when Race World Offshore goes to KW. There's rumors and again i said "rumors" that SBI is done and that Race World Offshore will be having their worlds in January in KW but Stu as of now is still having the Poker run in Nov. A good friend of mine which everyone knows (not mentioning his name) told me that both him and Stu have been wanting to take over KW in Nov for a while, especially since there was rumor two yrs ago that the worlds were being moved to Clearwater but KW ended up putting more money. I'm no fan of Stu but will give it to the guy he does a great show. He is what PRA was back in the mid 2000's.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

It is pretty sad that some classes only have 1 to 3 boats . What is even the purpose of racing anymore. SkaterMike you are totally right in your statement. Maybe one day the sport will come back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.