Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Florida Real Estate Advice >

Florida Real Estate Advice

Notices

Florida Real Estate Advice

Old 01-04-2018, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is unfortunate but pretty much all being said is true. There is no perfect solution if you want to live on the water east or west coast. I have been looking for years on both sides and wound up in key largo. Found it so boring that had to move back to Miami. Still not happy because you can't afford a home here on the water for less then one million unless you go to a condo downtown that is crowded and small. Even with that dock space is at a premium. Yes you should speak Spanish or you may not even find a job. Pacified myself and found a home a mile from the boat ramp in the south biscayne Bay Area. There are not many waterfront live spots but the water is clean, there are islands and sand bars in the bay, and the keys are a short trip, and the Bahamas are only fifty miles away, also fishing is not that bad. I must admit I still think of Sarasota but prices, home owners associations and taxes make me stay here. If you boat during the week as I do the ramps are pretty empty so you don't have to fight the nut jobs that live here. Good luck and keep us informed we may become your neighbor if you find a paradise.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KRAUSMOTORSPORTS
We are also looking. And looking very hard. But not going public yet with the family and most friends where we currently live as we don't know exactly what could happen but My wife's company is moving to Fort Myers and she found a place she loves in North Fort Myers. I've checked on the water conditions and see exactly what most of you guys are describing. To be honest it doesn't look much different then Back River up here on the Chesapeake. So my question to this group is? If we agree on a house (water front) in North Fort Myers, how long does it take to get to better water. My Wife having MS is not getting into the nasty water as her immune system is compromised but she does well in salt water. And basically she doesn't get in any parts of the Chesapeake. And Cash Bar I'll be in contact with you soon. Just feeling the Misses out to what she likes so I don't waste anybody's time. We are going down Feb 1st to start looking at potentials. And I'm pushing towards Naples. BTW this 10* weather up here is for the damn birds!
You are right about the water, like the Back River in the Chesapeake. I used to run up there now and then. Here, it depends on what part of North Fort Myers you are looking. It's a pretty big area. We are just south of the Veterans Bridge in SE Cape Coral. North Fort Myers can be 10-30 min from us, depending on what part of NFM you are talking. It takes me approx 45 minutes to an hour to get past the Sanibel Bridge, IIRC. From there, you're 5-10 min from Ft Myers Beach & Sanibel beaches. From Marker 101 (where the fork would take you to FMB & Sanibel), you could go North (up the ICW) and hit Picnic Island, North Captiva and Cayo Costa islands. Also, a fun RIDE is to go up river (east, up the ICW) to the lock or check out downtown Fort Myers by boat! Great boating here! BTW, don't forget, if you need a realtor in this area to help, my wife is a licensed realtor with ReMax in Lee County.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by formula1
You are right about the water, like the Back River in the Chesapeake. I used to run up there now and then. Here, it depends on what part of North Fort Myers you are looking. It's a pretty big area. We are just south of the Veterans Bridge in SE Cape Coral. North Fort Myers can be 10-30 min from us, depending on what part of NFM you are talking. It takes me approx 45 minutes to an hour to get past the Sanibel Bridge, IIRC. From there, you're 5-10 min from Ft Myers Beach & Sanibel beaches. From Marker 101 (where the fork would take you to FMB & Sanibel), you could go North (up the ICW) and hit Picnic Island, North Captiva and Cayo Costa islands. Also, a fun RIDE is to go up river (east, up the ICW) to the lock or check out downtown Fort Myers by boat! Great boating here! BTW, don't forget, if you need a realtor in this area to help, my wife is a licensed realtor with ReMax in Lee County.
Our taste in homes favor the modern architecture so pre-70's is our preference which allows our budget to move that much easier. Being most of those are older homes. We are flying down Jan 25-31 to scope out some properties and areas. Her office is looking into Bonita Springs so we are trying to stay within a 45 minutes radius from there. We did find a few through the typical Zillow search of some modern houses just below the Cleveland Ave Bridge on the north side close to the North Fort Myers High school. The crazy thing is that NFM area resembles our current location in a weird way. Between distance to all the amenities and to the bay bridge is about 45 minutes by boat. We are also considering Fort Myers itself. But being on a canal off the Caloosahatchee is my goal. We have some friends in Naples allowing us to stay as long as we need. So planning is in the works and we aren't ruling out foreclosures or short sales either. I come from a massive construction background. From Roofs to Foundations and everything in between. And our realistic budget is in the low 200's at this time. Thanks for the info Forumula1. I've been in contact with Cash Bar here also. So it sounds like great things to come!

Last edited by KRAUSMOTORSPORTS; 01-06-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by luke81
He's right ya know.....Pasco would be my last choice in this area. Other than a few small pockets of good there's a lot of bad, at least west toward the water. It's kind of the reverse of Pinellas where the majority of the area is good, with a couple small pockets of bad. I actually went to look at a boat that was kept on a lift in Pasco and even in a "waterfront" neighborhood (inland canal, but still waterfront technically) and I was pretty sure there were crackheads on the lawns of a few of these places. I think it would have been easier to buy meth than gas. I'm not saying we don't venture up that way now and then to visit your fine adult establishments, but we make our way back to civilization in Clearwater before it gets too late!
Well Pasco sold last night's sole Mega ticket for 450 million so it might be a "lucky" place!

PASCO COUNTY -- Someone in the Bay area is waking up today as a multi-millionaire.
  • Winning Mega Millions ticket sold in Pasco County
  • Ticket sold at 7-Eleven in Port Richey
  • Jackpot was for $450 million
The Mega Millions jackpot winning ticket was sold in Port Richey. One Florida ticket matched all five numbers and the Mega Ball from Friday night's drawing to claim the $450 million Mega Millions jackpot.

The winning Quick Pick ticket was purchased at 7-Eleven, located at 7131 Ridge Road in Port Richey. The retailer will receive a $100,000 bonus commission for selling the jackpot-winning ticket.

Last edited by Jupiter Sunsation; 01-06-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 570 Likes on 237 Posts

Low 200s are not going to get you on the water anywhere short of a Creek . I live in Bonita. Bonita beach road is the only road east and west for 4 miles either way. I live 1/2 mile from it. It is gridlock 7 months out of the year.so a couple miles is 45 minutes travel time.

my ex wife lives 2 miles from her work off Pine Ridge and Airport road in Naples. Not uncommon for it to take 30 minute to travel that 2 miles 7 months out of the year during season.

Low 200s will barely keep you out of he Ghetto in Bonita Springs. Nice parts of Bonita are gated and 400 plus to start.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Our taste in homes favor the modern architecture so pre-70's is our preference which allows our budget to move that much easier. Being most of those are older homes. We are flying down Jan 25-31 to scope out some properties and areas. Her office is looking into Bonita Springs so we are trying to stay within a 45 minutes radius from there. We did find a few through the typical Zillow search of some modern houses just below the Cleveland Ave Bridge on the north side close to the North Fort Myers High school. The crazy thing is that NFM area resembles our current location in a weird way. Between distance to all the amenities and to the bay bridge is about 45 minutes by boat. We are also considering Fort Myers itself. But being on a canal off the Caloosahatchee is my goal. We have some friends in Naples allowing us to stay as long as we need. So planning is in the works and we aren't ruling out foreclosures or short sales either. I come from a massive construction background. From Roofs to Foundations and everything in between. And our realistic budget is in the low 200's at this time. Thanks for the info Forumula1. I've been in contact with Cash Bar here also. So it sounds like great things to come!
there are no waterfront homes for the low 200’s. To get something halfway decent off a canal really starts out at $350k and it goes up from there.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Low 200s are not going to get you on the water anywhere short of a Creek . I live in Bonita. Bonita beach road is the only road east and west for 4 miles either way. I live 1/2 mile from it. It is gridlock 7 months out of the year.so a couple miles is 45 minutes travel time.

my ex wife lives 2 miles from her work off Pine Ridge and Airport road in Naples. Not uncommon for it to take 30 minute to travel that 2 miles 7 months out of the year during season.

Low 200s will barely keep you out of he Ghetto in Bonita Springs. Nice parts of Bonita are gated and 400 plus to start.
Going inland is fine also. We have some time to look around. My daily commute now is almost 2 hours one way which is getting old after 7 years of it through DC and Virginia gridlock. I should have been more specific in my explanation so I do apologize. If I can find one on a canal in the lower 200 price range which I have one in mind and looking at if it's still available when we visit. Knowing it will be needing extensive work that would be great to revive a home needing work as I'm a tradesman/Contractor. If none look to be worth the effort and depending on the area/timeline we will likely be in the $300k-$350k range for a budget . So we will see. Either way excited as hell to get away from the North East for a while.

And to Classic Muscle I feel as if I hi-jacked your thread so I apologize for that also but there was some good info on your thread.

Last edited by KRAUSMOTORSPORTS; 01-06-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

The Mrs and I have always like the "original" Florida homes. Yea, there are many amenities in the newer ones, but it was just not worth it to us. We bought a "teardown" on a canal in the far south Cape (about 2 minutes "out"), and did a complete remodel on it. Plaster repair, removed kitchen wall to open up, new trim, all new tile, new cabinets/quartz tops, tiled showers, electrical, plumbing, HVAC system (including ductwork), new metal roof, the whole 9 yards. The yard was not Florida enough, so it was scraped with a skidloader and we started from scratch. We also added a pool/cage/pavers and a new dock with 2 lifts. It was some work, but so worth it. We really enjoy the time that we get to spend down there. BTW, with a $10k deductible, the flood insurance is about $1800/yr. Here is a video that my realtor put together. Real Estate Video Tours

I think that there are still some decent buys out there, but you need to be there to take advantage of them, as they typically do not last long on the market.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Looks Great!
Old 01-07-2018, 02:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 36Tango
The Mrs and I have always like the "original" Florida homes. Yea, there are many amenities in the newer ones, but it was just not worth it to us. We bought a "teardown" on a canal in the far south Cape (about 2 minutes "out"), and did a complete remodel on it. Plaster repair, removed kitchen wall to open up, new trim, all new tile, new cabinets/quartz tops, tiled showers, electrical, plumbing, HVAC system (including ductwork), new metal roof, the whole 9 yards. The yard was not Florida enough, so it was scraped with a skidloader and we started from scratch. We also added a pool/cage/pavers and a new dock with 2 lifts. It was some work, but so worth it. We really enjoy the time that we get to spend down there. BTW, with a $10k deductible, the flood insurance is about $1800/yr. Here is a video that my realtor put together. Real Estate Video Tours

I think that there are still some decent buys out there, but you need to be there to take advantage of them, as they typically do not last long on the market.
Very Nice Tango! Basically what we are looking for. They are there. Just have to be in the right place at the right time. Your remodel was very nicely done. So did you do this as a flip, keep or a little bit of both? Since we have an acquired taste for the modern design finding a tear down to making our own is plan. BTW. Nice choice on the roof! I'd bet that nice when it's raining! We may be bringing at least two of our boats down is another plus to find a canal. A 28' Angler and I have a choice to continue on with our 22 classic or keep my 25' IMP. Either way one of those two have to go. Not sure which would be better suited down there.

Last edited by KRAUSMOTORSPORTS; 01-07-2018 at 02:21 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.