Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Real Open Offshore Racing....Can it ever happen again? >

Real Open Offshore Racing....Can it ever happen again?

Notices

Real Open Offshore Racing....Can it ever happen again?

Old 12-15-2017, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The 46 cougar Popeyes and Reggie's original 47 #76 would be in if they are welcome to compete. Sounds like a great time to me
Old 12-15-2017, 11:32 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Charlie,
If it fits in the OPA schedule and works financially for us, count us in. We love the new style of racing, anyone who thinks it isnt real offshore, or that it's easy, frankly hasn't done it or failed trying, so now it's just "stupid". We've had a few people claim they could come back and do it, because it would be easy, and we welcome them (they'd rather stroke their ego in a 22 donzi now). That being said, having a throttleman who first started in 1982 racing with Bobby Sheer, we love old school as well and would love some endurance racing.

Jason and Johnny Saris

Last edited by TeamSaris; 12-15-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:36 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Originally Posted by bwd
I have many points and thoughts I would like to share , being a modern racer. But I'll skip the diatribe and go right to what most of us believe. The drives just don't last. I have a friend , who's dad bought a new boat in Miami with a trs back in the day. He and a buddy jumped in it and drove it back to New Jersey, no prob. I would be sweating bullits around Jax with a bravo and would have two strapped down in the back seat. A 200 or even a 120 mile race would chew up usable hours in a bravo real quick. Blame mother Mercury, She builds stuff now banking on the repair or replace profit formula. imo
They didn't run balls out green to checkered like we do these days though. Attrition and pacing yourself played a big role. Right up Jason's alley.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:08 AM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
They didn't run balls out green to checkered like we do these days though. Attrition and pacing yourself played a big role. Right up Jason's alley.
What does he say? "I'll run as hard as someone makes me"? I rest my case my young friend. That said, I'll go anywhere financially feasible to have a good time.

Last edited by bwd; 12-16-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:13 PM
Driver-441
Racer

So that's it then....?
Keep this up top. Make it happen. Build it and we'll come instead of thrashing what we do.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by bwd
I have many points and thoughts I would like to share , being a modern racer. But I'll skip the diatribe and go right to what most of us believe. The drives just don't last. I have a friend , who's dad bought a new boat in Miami with a trs back in the day. He and a buddy jumped in it and drove it back to New Jersey, no prob. I would be sweating bullits around Jax with a bravo and would have two strapped down in the back seat. A 200 or even a 120 mile race would chew up usable hours in a bravo real quick. Blame mother Mercury, She builds stuff now banking on the repair or replace profit formula. imo
Huh...and all I ever seem to read is TRS is junk..

To me it's kinda like a new Corvette. They are full of the latest tech, but kinda does no good on everyday 45 mph streets...

I'd rather blow that kinda money on a 50/60's Vette with style and drive daily...

Last edited by open87; 12-19-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Backers reorganize Gold Cup hydrofest race on Detroit River | Crain's Detroit Business

Very good read on costs to put on a event.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:52 AM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Open72
Huh...and all I ever seem to read is TRS is junk..

To me it's kinda like a new Corvette. They are full of the latest tech, but kinda does no good on everyday 45 mph streets...

I'd rather blow that kinda money on a 50/60's Vette with style and drive daily...
I had a boat w/trs s for years. 81 velocity. I would swear by those things for a time, until I finally had to put new gears in them. The new from merc , gears would come apart like grant took Richmond. The fun was over.

Last edited by bwd; 12-20-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Following. I believe it’s worth the shot Charlie. Biggest thing is, keep the idea and info flowing. I know many that would love to compete in some fashion but classes now a days and cost are way to high and are financially unfair. Also not to mention expendable income separates many good drivers/throttleman/owners with talent from being able to make a name for themselves . I truly believe in the classic offshore races where men were men. Not be confused with today’s races. Takes balls and massive amounts of skill to race under today’s standards. I think today’s liabilities will damper the progress however. If it does go through I am interested!

On on another side note! Would the small block classes also exclude any newer engine designs such as the LS and would it be limited to Displacments? If they made stock style exhaust for an LS design? Just curious?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Trinidad and Tobago Great race comes to mind as a long old school open ocean race, start this video at 15 min when it gets rough:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.