Aluminum vs. Steel trailer >

Aluminum vs. Steel trailer

Notices

Aluminum vs. Steel trailer

Old 12-18-2017, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by VoodooRob
Most, if not all, of the inexpensive aluminum I beam trailers are bolt together and have 2 main bunks that hang sometimes 3 feet off the rear of the trailer unsupported. Not good for your boat over the long haul and not easy to line up at the ramp.
What's the deal with people thinking those unsupported bunks aren't a failure waiting to happen? I saw a 30' center console Scarab with a engine bracket with double 250+hp outboards on a trailer with atleast 4' of bunk unsupported at the stern!! Add the bracket and the engines had to be 6' from the last support on the trailer. The bunks were the standard vertical 6" wide 2" thick standing vertically. I'm sure at some point they fail due to dealing with the heaviest end of the boat being unsupported.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

I used my New Trailer from Ace Trailer this entire season. I have had 8 Steel trailers and 3 Aluminum Trailers. for Various Boats I was very happy with it. The Support goes all the way to the back as you can see in the pictures. Boat loads great and self centers. Good Support for the Steps. Kodiak EOH brakes work great and it looks good under the Bunny Lounge.

"Bunny Lounge" gets new Trailer
Old 12-18-2017, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I've owned 4 different steel trailers that were fresh water only and stored inside. Had to deal with rust on all of them. If I ever buy another new trailer it will be aluminum.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I've owned 4 different steel trailers that were fresh water only and stored inside. Had to deal with rust on all of them. If I ever buy another new trailer it will be aluminum.
Exactly. I bought brand new and said to myself, better resale market, less maintenance overall. Its a tool for your boat, I also like the little weight savings over the steel trailer, seems more nimble.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Myco trailers are awesome, we currently own 4 of them and have not had any issues. They have gotten to be extremely expensive lately though. I just had them quote a new trailer for a boat we are getting and had Manning and Broward quote apples to apples options. Myco was about $13k higher than Manning and $7k more than Broward.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
Myco trailers are awesome, we currently own 4 of them and have not had any issues. They have gotten to be extremely expensive lately though. I just had them quote a new trailer for a boat we are getting and had Manning and Broward quote apples to apples options. Myco was about $13k higher than Manning and $7k more than Broward.
Wow and I thought Broward was expensive!
Old 12-18-2017, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tractionless
What's the deal with people thinking those unsupported bunks aren't a failure waiting to happen? I saw a 30' center console Scarab with a engine bracket with double 250+hp outboards on a trailer with atleast 4' of bunk unsupported at the stern!! Add the bracket and the engines had to be 6' from the last support on the trailer. The bunks were the standard vertical 6" wide 2" thick standing vertically. I'm sure at some point they fail due to dealing with the heaviest end of the boat being unsupported.
Agreed, I see that all the time down here in S. Florida. Center console guys dont care, just a tool to get them to the water. Theres no way those boats can be balanced with the right tongue weight, not to mention the poor support on the hull will put hooks in it.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aluminum for sure. Its much lighter and easier to maintain.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Manning Aluminum 12'' C channel all the way. Had one build for my 46 Outerlimits w drive enclosure back in 2012. cost 14.5k Myco wanted 28k for the same trailer.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

had numerous trailers over the years,,steel ,,aluminum,bunks ,,rollers,, c channel,,box tubing ,leaf spring,,torsion's,etc,as long as the trailer is set up right for the boat and the weight rating is correct they will all do the same job,,it just comes down to preference,

I keep reading about I beam Aluminum trailers (some call them Florida trailers) and how some here thing they are crap,,not sure thats the case.
a lot of reply's with people saying how the rear of the boat is not supported ,,that is false! sure the boat is supported its sitting on two 4x10 wood bunks,yes I know some of the 4x10s is sticking out past the rear cross member usually 18-24" ,but the 4x10s are 12' to 16' feet long depending on the size of the trailer,and those 4x10s are not flexing so no worries there,(kind like a balcony is supported on a building)

some say aluminum flexes ,sure it does but a 35' foot steel trailer will flex as well,not as much as aluminum but a long enough steel trailer will flex as well,ever stand on a steel bridge?sure does flex.

I personally thing a aluminum correctly set up trailer with 4x10 bunks will support the hull better than the custom expensive steel trailers,like I said earlier the 4x10s do not flex try pushing on one and you wont be able to move it,,but on steel trailers most manufactures use 2x6 bunks, that causes pressure points on the hull of a boat,your boat is actually only supported only were the bunk brackets are,anywhere in between the bunk brackets you can push that 2x6 up and down,

so what ever trailer you go with just remember ,,1 to maintain it,,and 2 is to use safety straps..and no reason to put a $20k trailer under a $40k boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.