Aluminum vs. Steel trailer

Notices

Aluminum vs. Steel trailer

Old 12-15-2017, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

2 years!!!! ???
my myco steel is now going on 18 years and is still in very nice shape and never been redone!!!
Old 12-15-2017, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

I just sold a 1998 myco steel trailer. No rust at all. Kept outside it’s whole life. Best trailer I ever owned.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

Mycos are c channel instead of boxed tubing. They can’t Rust from inside out
Old 12-16-2017, 01:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VoodooRob
Most, if not all, of the inexpensive aluminum I beam trailers are bolt together and have 2 main bunks that hang sometimes 3 feet off the rear of the trailer unsupported. Not good for your boat over the long haul and not easy to line up at the ramp. A custom fitted trailer is much easier to use at the ramp and pulls substantially better. You already have Myco thrown out there I would also look at Manning. They offer welded C channel aluminum or steel. Whatever brand you get look into double spares and loaded hubs on the spares, great insurance when your on the road. I like the aluminum for the weight savings and not having to deal with rust repairs. Also when you sell your boat welded aluminum adds greater value and versatility to prospective buyers.
I am very happy with my Manning. Looks similar to the one above.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:03 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
2 years!!!! ???
my myco steel is now going on 18 years and is still in very nice shape and never been redone!!!
Salt water.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 832 Likes on 352 Posts

I think a painted aluminum c channel would be the ticket. One would still have to maintain the paint with some wax every once and a while but that’d be easy
Old 12-16-2017, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Salt water.
Oh a steel trailer didn`t last in Salt ?? you don`t say! . I believe this helps the OP looking for a freshwater usage trailer quite a bit

My .02 the aluminum is nice if it could be kept looking new but aluminum starts to look ugly without constant maintenance. Nothing beats the look of a steel painted trailer .
As far as resale, who cares... I buy stuff for me not the next guy.

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 12-16-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 67 Posts

A product called Sharkhyde keeps new aluminum looking new. I use it on my Sportmaster lower units and keeps them looking new in salt water. I have a new aluminum trailer being built for my DCB and I will coat the entire trailer with it. Rubs on with a clean towel and only takes minutes.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:56 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
As far as resale, who cares... I buy stuff for me not the next guy.
That's fine, however if a owner does eventually sell which is a given, an aluminum trailer opens it up to a huge market. If someone decides to limit their buyers to a specific segment then that's their business. I just gave input because he asked about aluminum vs steel. When I had to sell my boats, I HAD to sell, a steel trailer would have slowed that process.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Third option here is a galvanized steel version. I have one, would not have been my first choice when I purchased the boat but it became part of the deal at a price I could not walk away from, trailer was new, a 2006 model that I have owned for some ten years, looks pretty much exactly the same as the day I picked it up.

The comment the manufacturer, a friend of mine, made back then was that "ten years from now it will be as perfectly ugly as it is new". "Park in the weeds and F it, when you pull it out it will look just like new. Trailer Bill was 100% correct.

For me the boat was the prize, the trailer was simply a tool.
100% agree. Cannot grasp the money spent on trailer bling, it's a tool as you said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.