Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Aluminum vs. Steel trailer >

Aluminum vs. Steel trailer

Notices

Aluminum vs. Steel trailer

Old 12-16-2017, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

I have both. My Formula is on a painted aluminum I beam and my Hustler is on nice tube steel. The steel loads and pulls better than the aluminum and doesn't appear to have ever been dunked in saltwater. If I were strictly freshwater I'd definitely go steel.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know the price difference between steel, aluminum, and galvanized. I like a nice trailer but I agree I don't need to spend excessive money. I just want it to look clean and work properly
Old 12-17-2017, 06:17 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you go Steel, get a c-channel steel. The tube steel will rust from the inside out, even in freshwater, it will just take a lot longer. If you want custom aluminum, Ameratrail in FL will powdercoat a welded aluminum trailer which looks pretty sick. Their prices are pretty good too.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Coryc
Does anybody know the price difference between steel, aluminum, and galvanized. I like a nice trailer but I agree I don't need to spend excessive money. I just want it to look clean and work properly
I don't know about steel, but aluminum and galvanized are probably around the same. What boat is this for? How much trailering are you doing? Mycos, mannings, etc. are nice and i can see the value with an expensive boat or lots of trailering. I got a quote on a Myco last yr. and it was about 3X what I paid for the trailer I ended up with. I got an aluminum I beam, tows and loads/unloaded nice.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

I've had a steel Loadmaster for 10 yrs and it's been a great trailer but as we do more and more boating in Florida we are picking up a new aluminum Evolution in a couple weeks. I've always liked the steel trailer and being a c-channel it's held up to the salt in the winter it's just required a lot of salt-off and washing.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Coryc
Not sure about steel prices, bought new Myco aluminum painted for a 42X trailer was in the $25k range.

Painted aluminum ROCKS!
Old 12-17-2017, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
I don't know about steel, but aluminum and galvanized are probably around the same. What boat is this for? How much trailering are you doing? Mycos, mannings, etc. are nice and i can see the value with an expensive boat or lots of trailering. I got a quote on a Myco last yr. and it was about 3X what I paid for the trailer I ended up with. I got an aluminum I beam, tows and loads/unloaded nice.
dave, this is for my 21' Superboat that I rebuilt just a few years back. I'd say a good estimate for towing per year would be 2,500- 3,000 miles.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:12 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Do a search. This has been discussed AD NAUSEUM over the past 15+ years.

I would never own a steel trailer. Are they strong? Yes. But you can have an aluminum trailer that is just as strong, and it will quadruple your resale market when it's time to move on. No one likes the thought of buying a new trailer for a boat they just purchased. If you have a steel trailer under your boat, and a salt water boater wants it, you have automatically provided them a turn off for you boat.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Go aluminum so when anyone asks you can say you have a A LA MIN EUM trailer in your best British accent!
Old 12-17-2017, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Go aluminum so when anyone asks you can say you have a A LA MIN EUM trailer in your best British accent!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YPcZWuRj_U
quote so link shows up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.