Sierra 18-1710 Flange Ring Bellow >

Sierra 18-1710 Flange Ring Bellow

Notices

Sierra 18-1710 Flange Ring Bellow

Old 01-03-2018, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sierra 18-1710 Flange Ring Bellow

I'm having trouble finding out something that most every boat maintenance person should know but I can;t find any info. on what a derive bellows flange ring is for ,where it goes, how it is used,but about 1/2 of the bellows come with it but no explanation at all. Also you can purchase these separately but nobody selling them has any info. on what it is or what it does. once I threw out 1 of these rings that came with a drive bellows thinking it must be there to protect the bellows shape during shipping

P.S. I want to know since I keep getting water in mine.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Post withdrawn due to new info given by OP, thus not being able to offer a response do to not being familiar with setup.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 01-05-2018 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:41 AM
Registered

Thank you for response, So now I know what it does but now an answer to my question seems even more important.
I still do not get just where it goes ore how to install it.
OK..I should have mentioned that it is a 1996 Volvo Penta sx cobra drive.. and the Seloc repair manual makes no mention of it. . Is this.a part that is mainly for Mercruisers? Do you think that some of the after market fabricators; don't know that Volvo Pentas are different and just throw one in with every drive bellows that they sell?
.But lets say it was a Merc.. I still I don't get where this ring would go or what it is for...
Old 01-04-2018, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

The bellows flange ring is installed on the inside of the bellow and forces the bellow outwards against the housing (whereas a clamp crushes inwards). When you first pull the drive off and look in to your gimbal bearing, the first thing you see in the flange ring as you are looking through it to the gimbal

Mercury has a two piece tool that works as a drift to splay the flange ring ...quick search on amazon showed this... the second piece is basically a heavy, wide rod that is used to drift this tool (with a heavy hammer) into the housing
https://www.amazon.com/Bellow-Retain.../dp/B005CW9OXU
Old 01-04-2018, 09:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

I just made a tool to install mine using a piece of pipe and a pipe flange from Lowes.

On the mercruiser stuff stuff you just push it in the qgroove then pound the retainer in. There isn't much science to it..
Old 01-04-2018, 09:14 AM
Registered

to speicher lane,

So then what I think you are saying is that it goes inside the bellow in the part
that you glue to the pivot housing. So does it just wedge in there somehow
or do you also glue it in place with the bellow adhesive?
I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions.
I actually do not know anybody with any boating experience.
If it wasn't for people like you who are willing to school a know nothing
stranger on the Internet I would have given up and said that buying a boat
was a big mistake and she would never see the water again.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:57 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

the manual you are using is not very good. It is best to buy the OEM factory manual. I have them all. It is a set of like 6 manuals for your model.

It would be best to tell what you have for an application because all will reply with Mercruiser info. Volvo is different than Merc by far especially for the transom assembly and outdrive. Sorry about saying this but have to --- do not follow any Merc replies period on any forums when owning a Volvo or any other NON Merc applications. Solid advice here and proper advice.

Next is what drive do you have from Volvo ? do you have the SX or DP or do you have the AQ DP drive because Volvo offered the AQ DP drive in 1995 and up to 1996.

The transom assemblies between the AQ and SX is totally different.

Last edited by BUP; 01-04-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:12 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

WHY did you buy a BELLOWS OR I SHOULD SAY A RETAINING RING FOR a MERCRUISER BRAVO application ???? as you posted a VOLVO application.

They are 2 totally different and Volvo bellows does not install like Mercruiser nor use any of the same parts. Watch out what advice you are getting from where ever, sorry but it might be best to have someone factory marine trained work on your boat. I understand it cost money but ? Please no offense -- not trying to be mean against you or anyone else.

Possible you might have other issues that need to be addressed as well. Have to add - no one added that about 18 -1710 is a totally complete wrong install so with that said proper advice and correct advice is important for proper installs. More times than not an old bellows causes damage elsewhere especially a torn bellows or a leaking bellows as you mentioned.

Last edited by BUP; 01-04-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:52 PM
Registered

That is exactly my point.maybee because you are only used to Mercruisers is why you don't know is 1/3 of the drive bellows for Volvo Pentas (also OMC)come with this ring withoutany explinatioon of what it is and since no mention of it in repair manual i threw it away but alwayswanted to know what it wasand tf some after market manufacturer came up with an idea to agment the fastening of bellows by copying something that are producing for the Mercruiser bellows that they sell then that mmay be why they gtve you one Now actually I did not know anything about Mwercruisers or even the other Volvo Penta systems but boy am I learnjg fast.1 year ago last Beptember I bought my 1st boat.before T got her into the water for a 2nd time th tonge of the trailer literally broke off. I got a pro welder to fix it up better than everthe 4th time I got her in the water;I messed updid some thing that stalled the engine got the boat beached and now I know that usyng anckers is Important then the harbor patrol towed me to their port not the one I lauched from but about 20 miles down the coast . yes thats right all this is happening in the oceanso I learned all about salt water needing to stgay out of crank caseso I had to buy another v8 engine and so now my boat has new gimbel bearing bellows the whole nine.I even J B wealded a plate to block off original exhaust and installed a thru hull exhast steup purchsed new exhaustmanifolds,new risers and those spacers that raise the risers extra 3 inches.
Oh by the way I did try to get professionals to do it for me but they explained to me that it would cost me more than i couild guy 2 other boats instead but you know what, I did it all myself. I bought the Solec repair manual and I asked things just like this on the Internet and until now I have never been insulted , only encouraged,. from strangers on this very web site now I am sorry about going on this rant right now but I have been dieing to brag about how much I can now do
Old 01-04-2018, 10:10 PM
Registered

Default I never said I had a Mercruiser,!

That is exactly my point. .maybe because you are only used to Mercruisers is why you don't know is that about 1/3 of the drive bellows for Volvo Pentas (also OMC)come with this ring without any explanation of what it is and since no mention of it in repair manual i threw it away but always wanted to know what it was and tf some after market manufacturer came up with an idea to augment the fastening of bellows by copying something that are producing for the Mercruiser bellows that they sell then that maybe why they give you one Now actually I did not know anything about Mercruisers or even the other Volvo Penta systems but boy am I learning fast..1 year ago last September I bought my 1st boat.before T got her into the water for a 2nd time th tounge of the trailer literally broke off. I got a pro welder to fix it up better than ever. The 4th time I got her in the water;I messed up. did some thing that stalled the engine got the boat beached and now I know that using anchers is Important then the harbor patrol towed me to their port not the one I launched from but about 20 miles down the coast . yes thats right all this is happening in the ocean so I learned all about salt water needing to stay out of crank case so I had to buy another v8 engine and so now my boat has new Gimbel bearing bellows the whole nine.I even J B welded a plate to block off original exhaust and installed a through hull exhaust setup purchased new exhaust manifolds,new risers and those spacers that raise the risers extra 3 inches.
Oh by the way I did try to get professionals to do it for me but they explained to me that it would cost me more than i could guy 2 other boats instead but you know what, I did it all myself. I bought the Solec repair manual and I asked things just like this on the Internet and until now I have never been insulted , only encouraged,. from strangers on this very web site now I am sorry about going on this rant right now but I have been dieing to brag about how much I can now do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.