Notices

Baja, sunsation, formula

Old 01-04-2018, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Baja, sunsation, formula

Hi ya'll. Like to move from 24' family boat to twin engine sport boat. Last sport i had was 20' 460 jet boat in 1984. Have not been on any sport boat since. By reading and looking at boats during poker runs, tickfaw 200, I like the sunsation and formulas for the years, 2004 to 2007, and price. Not sure what sunsation ss closed bow sells for, Mcob list for 99000, more than I like. Dominator 32 with 496 motors is better priced. Formula 292 is another choice. Looks nice. 353 may be too pricy. 312 possible if good shape. Next is baja 30, 33 outlaw. Graphics not my favorite, do they rattle or squeak? Hate rattles. Would be because of price, although they list for just as much. First would be sunny 32 dominator, ss next. Second, 292 will I want a 32 with bb before long? Last, baja for price point if less money. Oh, I did stand in a 32 fountain last year, super nice shape, but no. Couldn't hardly sit and didn't like water through vents issue. What ya'll think. Has anyone seen the dominator in maurepas, la? Been listed for a while.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Of all those boats you mentioned, by far the best choice is a well maintained Formula 353 or Baja 33 Outlaw, preferably 2004 or newer. I owned a 2004 33 Baja and loved it for its size. Very easy to drive and dock. Predictable with lots of room. Excellent ride. My best friend had a 353 Formula which was a great boat also excellent ride, but I liked the layout of the Baja cockpit better. The Baja was not a step hull and was about 1-2 mph slower than my friend's 353. Both had 496 Mag HOs. The 353 did have a slight problem with porpoising. Both had Bravo I 26P props.

I do not recommend the 312 Formula, which is what my friend had before his 353. This boat really had a problem with porpoising, especially with 2-3 people in the back seat. It also rode amazingly rough, slamming down after waves unlike the 353 or 33 which land much more softly.

I do not recommend the Sunsation. Although they ride fine, there are model years with hull structural issues. Two 32' models cracked the hull midway after jumping freighter wakes in the Houston ship channel about 8-10 years ago. One so badly it sank and the riders had to be rescued.

Don't forget to look at 35 or 38 Fountain. Very good riding in the rough and faster than the others above with stock power.

Happy hunting!!

Last edited by On Time; 01-04-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Don't underestimate Baja just because they are well priced. Nice boats, 30' is a true 30 footer (excludes boarding platform) so it compares to some larger boats that include platform in their overall length. Simple straight bottom 24 degree Vee, easy to drive. Stepped boats are always a bit faster but need a bit more learning and attention to get the most out of them.

Sunsation had changes in the hull. I think around '05 (?) they introduced the extra step design. Do some searching on here, lots of info to be found.

Formula is the smallest but a very solid build, quite heavy but get a great rap. Most had twin 350's or 6.2's and a few with scorpions. Scorpions will probably cost a few more bucks and a bit more on maintenance just to gain a few mph. How important is the top speed?

Three different boats, all have their strong points, have a look at a few first then maybe a drive if you can. You wouldn't be unhappy with any of them if you accept their size and performance limitations. What is most important to you??

Happy shopping!
RR

EDIT: Wile I was typing, On Time mentioned the 'F' word, Fountains are great and the 32 is not the roomiest in the stable. Always a few nice looking 35's advertised and certainly faster than most other boats with comparable power.

Last edited by rak rua; 01-04-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:32 AM
Registered

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

There is a reason why a Formula is more expensive than a Baja. It is a better built boat. I own a 292 and absolutely love it (353 out of my price range and towing capacity). Just my opinion.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:07 AM
Registered

I had 2 Formulas as my first 2 boats, an F3LS (21') and a 242LS, which I didn't mention because smaller than what OP was looking for. Both boats were fine, and rode great for their size. The 242 hatch lifting ram fell off one day and we discovered a totally rotted transom that cost $5000 to fix. The previous owner had added thru-hull exhaust and we thought they probably didn't seal the openings well but the entire transom was mush. My Fountain is built solid as a rock but many people don't like the "beak"...my wife and I got over it and never looked back...
Old 01-05-2018, 06:25 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 593 Likes on 273 Posts

The problem w Formulas is the crap swim platform that the exhaust runs thru in the corners. I have heard about lots of rot.

Our 29 Outlaw is still running Strong w over 1200 hours or so on the bone stock- Never touched- 454 Mags MPIs. And once you have an aluminum swim platform it will be hard to have a boat without one.
The 33 Outlaw is one of the best buys for size and room. IMO
Have fun shopping
Old 01-05-2018, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

+1 on the 33Outlaw, owned one for several yrs, great boat........
Old 01-05-2018, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by On Time

I do not recommend the Sunsation. Although they ride fine, there are model years with hull structural issues. Two 32' models cracked the hull midway after jumping freighter wakes in the Houston ship channel about 8-10 years ago. One so badly it sank and the riders had to be rescued.
Be fair with Sunsation, that did happen with the "Dragon" themed boat but it also had big power and the guy stuffed the nose and wrecked the boat. Freighter wakes are no joke! There also have been a few spinouts with the early twin step hulls that resulted in scrapped hulls. The bottom was changed a year or so later to try to keep the boats and their owners out of trouble. Remember Tres Martin has been involved with Sunsation's hull designs on a few boats now and I would say he would be the best guy in the business to help design safer step bottom boats.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
The problem w Formulas is the crap swim platform that the exhaust runs thru in the corners. I have heard about lots of rot.

Our 29 Outlaw is still running Strong w over 1200 hours or so on the bone stock- Never touched- 454 Mags MPIs. And once you have an aluminum swim platform it will be hard to have a boat without one.
The 33 Outlaw is one of the best buys for size and room. IMO
Have fun shopping
33 Outlaw has one of the best side profiles out there too!
Old 01-05-2018, 08:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Be fair with Sunsation, that did happen with the "Dragon" themed boat but it also had big power and the guy stuffed the nose and wrecked the boat. Freighter wakes are no joke! There also have been a few spinouts with the early twin step hulls that resulted in scrapped hulls. The bottom was changed a year or so later to try to keep the boats and their owners out of trouble. Remember Tres Martin has been involved with Sunsation's hull designs on a few boats now and I would say he would be the best guy in the business to help design safer step bottom boats.
Yes I've heard about Tres' involvement and like him a lot. I took his class after we got the 42 Fountain and always use his great advice. I have nothing against Sunsation was just sharing what I remember. Their new CC's are beautiful especially the 34.

We have lots of folks down here tempting fate and jumping those enormous swells but the only other boat I heard of cracking was a 45 Sonic w trips that was repaired and still lives in the area.

Last edited by On Time; 01-05-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.