Notices

Baja, sunsation, formula

Old 01-05-2018, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking for something that is comfortable to drive and handle. Access to bow from cockpit ffor launching would be good. Bikini top for wife probably necessary. One that could be added and looks neat. Baja is larger cockpit so not sure how it would look. Top speed not biggest issue. Yet. Fountain 32 too tight. Is 35 better? What about left hand controls? Driving each one won't be easy due to location. like to go to different lakes, probably won't happen, so boating south Louisiana is my boating area. Just need to pick one and drive. Probably would like whichever I drove first. Need starting point.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Here is one that isn't too far from you as a starting point. (Just saw it on craigslist I know nothing about it.) Looks good in photos.
https://collegestation.craigslist.or...419248606.html
Good luck.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The formulas with the rotting swim platforms bolted on and stopped in the early 90s .He's talking about a formula a lot newer than that. Any formula after 1998 only has wood in the transom . Jeff wurl
Old 01-05-2018, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2john
Looking for something that is comfortable to drive and handle. Access to bow from cockpit ffor launching would be good. Bikini top for wife probably necessary. One that could be added and looks neat. Baja is larger cockpit so not sure how it would look. Top speed not biggest issue. Yet. Fountain 32 too tight. Is 35 better? What about left hand controls? Driving each one won't be easy due to location. like to go to different lakes, probably won't happen, so boating south Louisiana is my boating area. Just need to pick one and drive. Probably would like whichever I drove first. Need starting point.
Then concentrate on Fountain 35, Baja 33 Outlaw, Formula 353, in no particular order. I suggest 2004 or newer because of the more modern engines. 496s with 800 hours are still going strong.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, thanks. Bimini top better for boat. Bikini top for wife, well. Lol
Old 01-05-2018, 03:37 PM
Registered

Smile Re 353 porpoising

Originally Posted by On Time
Of all those boats you mentioned, by far the best choice is a well maintained Formula 353 or Baja 33 Outlaw, preferably 2004 or newer. I owned a 2004 33 Baja and loved it for its size. Very easy to drive and dock. Predictable with lots of room. Excellent ride. My best friend had a 353 Formula which was a great boat also excellent ride, but I liked the layout of the Baja cockpit better. The Baja was not a step hull and was about 1-2 mph slower than my friend's 353. Both had 496 Mag HOs. The 353 did have a slight problem with porpoising. Both had Bravo I 26P props.

I do not recommend the 312 Formula, which is what my friend had before his 353. This boat really had a problem with porpoising, especially with 2-3 people in the back seat. It also rode amazingly rough, slamming down after waves unlike the 353 or 33 which land much more softly.

I do not recommend the Sunsation. Although they ride fine, there are model years with hull structural issues. Two 32' models cracked the hull midway after jumping freighter wakes in the Houston ship channel about 8-10 years ago. One so badly it sank and the riders had to be rescued.

Don't forget to look at 35 or 38 Fountain. Very good riding in the rough and faster than the others above with stock power.

Happy hunting!!
I have never had a problem with porpoising on my 353 - fyi.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:32 PM
Registered

I never had a porpoising issue either....... I think it will be up to you in end. What boat is going to suit your needs and Wants best.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Whats the tow truck ??....the El Camino wont do well with a 38.....
Old 01-05-2018, 07:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by 2john
I've always liked Formulas, my last boat was an awesome Fountain but from what you've written above, I'd be looking at Baja first. Stock 496's for decent performance and excellent reliability, good cockpit with higher sides and easy to drive.

RR

P.S. I was going to ask for a pic of the "bikini top for wife"... haha!

Last edited by rak rua; 01-05-2018 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Spellnig
Old 01-05-2018, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I see several comments regarding Formulas porpoising. The 312 was terrible at it. My wife would joke about it to me afterwards. The 353 was much milder, minimal really, but worst at about 3200-3500 rpm as I remember. I asked my friend why he couldn't stop it. He said it doesn't run as well if I trim it down. I said well yes but you are porpoising! He liked it trimmed bow up and perhaps too much. I never got a chance to drive it. My 33 Baja would not porpoise no matter how I trimmed it. My 42 Fountain won't porpoise. My 35 Marlago will porpoise trimmed up too high with a full tank of gas but will not porpoise if 1/3 tank or less. The ski boat won't porpoise.

Jus' sayin'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.