Notices

Boat lift walkboard

Old 01-07-2018, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat lift walkboard

Hey! I need access to the starboard side of my boat while its on the boat lift. I have a wrap-around style dock, except due to permit regulations, I had to put the lift at an angle to maximize the opportunities to get the boat off the lift by using the angle setup. So, I wasn't able to get the outside to completely "wrap-around" the side of the boat that faces the canal. The drawback is/was, I have NO access to the starboard drive and last 1/4 of the boat. So, what I wanted to do was get a aluminum walkboard (a long one like 24') to span the I beams and hang over enough to get access to the rear (and front too). I had 16' one made for the port side a while back to get on and off the boat. But, Aluminum walkboards are pretty pricey. I was wondering what some of you all thought about using a long fiberglass extension ladder (there's a 40' one on CL, now) instead of the aluminum walkboard? To do the ladder setup, I would need like a 1x8 or 5/4x8 PT piece of board to walk on.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:30 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Rent a drone.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

That could work. But remember a 40 ladder closed is only 20ft. Open I would be worried about about the longer unsupported sections and the fiberglass breaking while standing on it.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Would something like this work for you?

https://industrialladder.com/stages-...lbs-rated.html
Old 01-09-2018, 12:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I have the walkboard - I paid the price for it. The only thing I would say is when you get that thing cantilevered way out there it is a LOT of weight leveraged on it. I think one of those ladders would feel VERY flimsy just based on how sturdy mine is and how much it flexes.

It gets used mostly as a diving board for the kids.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

What company makes the custom aluminum full walk around that goes all the way around the boat?
Old 01-10-2018, 10:36 AM
Registered

Thanks for the link. I'll check that out. The only thing that has kept me from buying a "walkboard" from a ladder source is that I heard they use steel rivets in the aluminum structure. The dissimilar metals dunked over & over again in the salt water might prove to be problematic when they rivets start to corrode and break. I don't know this to be a fact, just thinking out loud. So, I would need a 20-24' platform on the outside of the lift. I already have a 16' on the house side of the lift (too short, but oh well). Then I guess I'd have to come up with some bracketry that will be able to support a 12' suspended platform across the rear of the boat/lift that is low enough to clear the drives when they are down but high enough not to catch the bottom before the I-beam does.

After visiting with the repair shop that is going to do the service on my Formula, he said that installing flush outs correctly would be more than a few hundred bucks each side. So, I am leaning strongly towards just getting the lift upgraded with the service platforms and using muffs to flush. The extra access to the rear of the boat would be beneficial for a number of situations.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:44 AM
Registered

Here is a couple of pic ideas
Attached Thumbnails Boat lift walkboard-boat-lift-full-service-platform.jpg   Boat lift walkboard-service-platform.jpg  
Old 01-10-2018, 11:20 AM
Registered

What's your set up? Flushes are easy to install.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:21 AM
Registered

Also what shop are you using?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.