Notices

E85

Old 01-16-2018, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

My 2013 Tahoe make 8hp more on e85 over pump gas - right in the manual.

I have been running e85 in my turboed street car for 8-9 years. It is amazing how much smooter the engine runs with e85 over pump gas. Just the idle alone sounds so much happier. I run a flex fuel sensor and can run from pump to e100 and anything in between. Engine likes the more ethanol over pure gas without a doubt.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by DRAG
What physical attribute of an engine, old or new doesn’t work with e85? You should be able to make more power on nearly any engine NA or forced induction....run more compression, more knock resistance, more boost. It’s just a pain in the neck because it’s not at the dock.

if you have enough fuel system and a way to tune the engine it’s a piece of cake. You just have to watch it in boats because of water in the fuel but if you have a maintained Performance application then you are good. Just makes your fuel tank feel small. You can even mix up some e30 and get a fair amount of the benefit and only need about 10% more fuel system capability.
The physical attributes of older engines / fuel systems that don't play well with any amount of Ethanol are gaskets, seals, fuel lines, fuel tanks (ask an owner of an older Skater), etc. The negative effects of Ethanol on these components and more are very well documented. Boat / US published some pretty extensive studies showing the negative effects.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 333 Likes on 124 Posts

When i think of running an engine on an alternative fuel I would think addressing the fuel system requirements would be assumed as a given. You said that most new Engines and all old Engines aren’t built to run on it. I’ve never come across an engine that couldn’t run it and make more power....carb’d, fuel injected, direct injected or otherwise. If the intent was to say that you can’t just drive up and pour it in Your gas boat, then i misunderstood. Carry on

Last edited by DRAG; 01-16-2018 at 07:15 PM. Reason: emoji not supported