Notices

Baret Jackson Steal

Old 01-22-2018, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

3 more insane prices last night (replay of the final day sales)

1993 Mustang 5.0 conv- less than 400 miles sold for $49,000!
1991 Camaro 5.7 coupe- less than 500 miles sold for 33K
2004 ZO6- 14 miles sold for 45K

None are irreplaceable, all are essentially museum cars. All seemed like the bidders were drunk and were buying with other people's money! Being all were last year of their production runs, I suspect there are plenty of them being hoarded away in warehouses.

Worst part: Now every craiglist seller will be quoting the high prices paid at BJ when they are trying to sell their tired beater of the same vintage!
Old 01-22-2018, 08:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Open72
I did see a convertible Silver Benz ,twin turbo I believe ,that sold for like 26K , new was low 100's. Car looked brand new.That was quite a few years back , ..
Real common, look up a Mercedes SL65/CL65/S65......200K cars new, you can find them regularly for 25-40K 10 years later. The maintenance can be brutal especially for anyone paying dealer rates of $140+ an hour. Even perfect condition, great history cars in good color combos struggle to get 25% of MSRP back.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

A buddy of mine was there. He said the boat was not in very good shape. Still a bargain.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Real common, look up a Mercedes SL65/CL65/S65......200K cars new, you can find them regularly for 25-40K 10 years later. The maintenance can be brutal especially for anyone paying dealer rates of $140+ an hour. Even perfect condition, great history cars in good color combos struggle to get 25% of MSRP back.
That's putting it very nicely. Many of those cars are total junk once they run out of warranty. I've had dozens and dozens of them come through my shop. A guy at the other end of my complex makes a killing buying these cars cheap at the dealer auction (because most dealers don't want the headache) then flipping them on buy-here-pay-here to wannabe ballers.
About half of these convertible benz's you see on the street have the top permanently up because the mechanism fails very often and it can touch 5 figures to fix it! Electrical gremlins are super common....they're just a nightmare to own.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by luke81
That's putting it very nicely. Many of those cars are total junk once they run out of warranty. I've had dozens and dozens of them come through my shop. A guy at the other end of my complex makes a killing buying these cars cheap at the dealer auction (because most dealers don't want the headache) then flipping them on buy-here-pay-here to wannabe ballers.
About half of these convertible benz's you see on the street have the top permanently up because the mechanism fails very often and it can touch 5 figures to fix it! Electrical gremlins are super common....they're just a nightmare to own.

My buddy was a Benz service writer for years........The R class, the G class and anything AMG was gold in the service lane! They got 5-6K for brake jobs on AMG stuff!

Only thing he despised......flood cars! The motors (hydrolocked) or badly flooded electronics = totaled by insurance company almost instantly. An AMG motor can be 50-70K (hand built, special order) so if a big Benz gets wet then the insurance pays 3 hours tech time to diagnose and totals the car. Ins. company makes out selling parts off the car, customer is thrilled as they get a new car and he makes hardly anything!
Old 01-22-2018, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by luke81
Man you know it, we had a SLK AMG, top issues, blower issues, etc. After that thing was out of warranty it seemed like a couple grand every other month.

Screw that.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
A buddy of mine was there. He said the boat was not in very good shape. Still a bargain.

I would love to know what is considered "not in very good shape" on a boat of this level? Did it have a ton of dock rash and such or was it just dirty and neglected? I remember when I saw this boat in person a few years ago and I mentioned to the people I was with how I thought this thing would be a huge undertaking to keep in pristine condition. A black car is hard enough...A black boat is crazy.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
3 more insane prices last night (replay of the final day sales)

1993 Mustang 5.0 conv- less than 400 miles sold for $49,000!
1991 Camaro 5.7 coupe- less than 500 miles sold for 33K
2004 ZO6- 14 miles sold for 45K

None are irreplaceable, all are essentially museum cars. All seemed like the bidders were drunk and were buying with other people's money! Being all were last year of their production runs, I suspect there are plenty of them being hoarded away in warehouses.

Worst part: Now every craiglist seller will be quoting the high prices paid at BJ when they are trying to sell their tired beater of the same vintage!
Ain't that the truth about craigslist/autotrader listings!!! I was toying with the idea of buying a clean C5 ZO6 in the 20-30k mile range but they're already starting to go the wrong way in price.
It was blowing my mind what some of the later model cars were going for. I couldn't help but think "more money than sense" a couple of times.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by neva satisfied
I would love to know what is considered "not in very good shape" on a boat of this level? Did it have a ton of dock rash and such or was it just dirty and neglected? I remember when I saw this boat in person a few years ago and I mentioned to the people I was with how I thought this thing would be a huge undertaking to keep in pristine condition. A black car is hard enough...A black boat is crazy.
Dock rash was one thing he mentioned. He also said it looked like it had been patched up. Possible Hurricane recovery? I'm just passing along the info I was given.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
Dock rash was one thing he mentioned. He also said it looked like it had been patched up. Possible Hurricane recovery? I'm just passing along the info I was given.
Hurricane? haha no that thing sits indoors its entire life unless its in the water and running. I can assure it you it wasn't damaged in a hurricane.

Edit: as far as dock rash, I would imagine that's impossible to avoid on a black boat. That's why they are usually white.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.